New toilet leaks

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ann P

New toilet leaks

Post by Ann P »

I have a 2008 RB (oh, need to change my profile!) and odd things have been happening inside, while the coach drives really well. It's amazing how much easier it is to drive a 24' model than the almost 27' that I had...I love the shorter wheelbase.

However, my new appliances and such have been annoying. Worse problem is the Thetford toilet which has been erratic about holding water. If you add water in after a flush, it leaks right away. If you wait a little while, then it usually leaks away slowly, but sometimes stays there. I have read Thetford's little book and website, and cleaned around the seal with a brush. They also suggest that the screws may not be installed correctly,whatever. It's just stupid! I've been travelling across the country the past 2 weeks and using public and RV park bathrooms as much as possible, saving mine for late night and morning, because the leak is such a hassle. I use park showers as well.

When I get to AZ for the winter and settled in, I plan to write a long post on my whole picking up the new coach experience and how it's been working-or not - for me. Besides the toilet, I have comments on the Tappan convection oven, the slam-me -hard door, the new sewer system layout, the Fantastic Fan, the disappearing outside storage (I miss those great bumper compartments!), and maybe more!

Also, a fellow wrote me a PM about full-timing in a 24' BF but I can't access that email anymore. Please try again (David?). It was a lot better living in the 26 RSB, but eventually I'll make this 24 RB livable, especially if the toilet will work properly!
Brent

Post by Brent »

Hello Ann
Sorry you are having problems with a new coach. Let us know how it works out and good luck.

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Bogiesmom

Post by Bogiesmom »

Hi Ann!
So sorry you are having problems with your new Born Free. We got a new 2007 BFT in May, everything worked great, but we had issues with the microwave.
Our unit would shut down after running several minutes and getting hot, before your food was cooked. This happened while microwaving or using the convection. Don't know your issues with yours but this is what we did.
We called Tappan and Tappan (InterCon Marketing, Inc) shipped out a new microwave with just a simple phone call to their phone number in the BF owner's manual. My husband called the number, explained the symptoms on a Monday and we got the new unit on Friday afternoon! No hassel, no issues, and just one phone call! Kinda surprised us. They were very cordial, polite, and were english speaking customer service personnel! My husband tested the unit prior to intalling it in the rv. It worked fine, so he went ahead and installed. A two person job, I had to plug in the cord before he slid the new unit in. The unit is very heavy, but he was able to lift it and get it in place.
We fired it up and cooked some baked potatoes on the microwave setting. Then we used the convection part and baked some bisquits. All worked just fine and we have used it many times since then with no problems.
Needless to say,we were very pleased with the warranty service provided by Tappan.
The only visible difference between the two is the new replacement has additional air vents and continues to run the fan after the heating shuts down (even with the door open) until it cools somewhat. The model number of the original is TC 1050S and the model number of the new one is TC 1050SB.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Sounds to me like a "safety" issue (overheating) with the faulty Tappan microwaves. Obviously they are aware of the issue, hence the re-design. InterCon Marketing, Inc. ought to jump at the chance to get an unsafe oven replaced before a law suit ensues. Keep after them and good luck.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Steve W

New Toilet Leaks

Post by Steve W »

Ann. We have a 2007 24RB and while we have no plumbing problems, we did experience the Tappen convection/microwave premature shutoff. I posted a "now what" on this website and Bogiesmom came back with what they have related to you. I also called, and with no problems at all, was quickly sent a new convection/microwave. The replacement has vents on the left side which the original did not and it is considerably lighter in weight that the original. One suggestion - while it is quite easy to switch the two units, the "easy" comes from having two people do it.

Re any other problems, I would suggest a call to Kim at the factory. He always seems to have the answer.

Steve W
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
Jon Pollei

Post by Jon Pollei »

Ann, I have found if the seal drys out on the toilet it leaks. I use vasoline and rub in into the seal and it stops the leaking.
Tonyg

tappan microwave

Post by Tonyg »

We also had the same problem with the microwave shutting off. Ours was on a 2007 24'RB. Called Kim and he gave me a contact number at tappan. Only took one phone call to tappan and they shipped out a new model - no charge. Do not think it is a safety hazard since the oven has an automatic cut off when the temperature gets to high such as using it for longer than in our case about 6-7 minutes. They told me the new model has better ventilation and does not have the shutting off problem. We never used the convection oven, only the microwave. Tappan was very easy to deal with and only ask us to run a test using a cup of water and heating it at different lengths of time to see how long it would take before the oven would shut off.

Tony

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”