Diesel vs gasoline

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Aileen B. Campbell

Diesel vs gasoline

Post by Aileen B. Campbell »

Would someone please tell me which is better for full-time living for a single woman who is not mechanically inclined - gasoline or diesel? Thank you.
Bill Ruh

Diesel vs gasoline

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Aileen,

For a large motorhome (say 33' or longer), I'd get diesel, as currently-available gas engines don't have the torque.

For a small or medium motorhome (say a born free), I'd get gas.

Diesel pros
1. More torque (engine "strength")
2. Better mileage by several mpg
3. Longevity (if you need more than 150k miles)

Diesel cons
1. More expensive initial purchase
2. More expensive maintenance
3. Heavier, so less carrying capacity
4. Propane generator (unless you get a heavy diesel generator)
5. Less available fuel
6. Less available service
7. Harder winter starting
8. Noisier

Diesel proponents are usually vocal about their decision, so I'm sure you'll hear from them.
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

Hi
I have had five Diesels and loved them. But they were all large Class A RVs. We carried 150 gallons of diesel, the generator was diesel as well as the Webaso heating system. We now have a 2002, 26' RSB BF. It is gas.
The main reason is like the post above. The engine is lighter, and we have a gas generator. We found while travelling is southern CA, diesel was hard to come by. We also found this the same problem in the north east. You have to watch where you purchase diesel as if it contaiminated, you have a real problem in getting rid of the cantaniments. Unless you have a pre heater and the weather gets cold, you may have trouble getting it started. I found this out when the weather dropped from 70 degrees to 25 while in OK. on the first diesel we owned. The engine turned great but didn't start till we pre heated it.
The BF being the best built Class C is heavier than most of the generics.
For the above reasons is why we have a gas BF. Don't get me wrong diesels are the wonderful. If BF was able to carry more fuel and have a diesel generator I would have purchased one of them.

Don USN ret.
2002 26' RSB
1987 Cabriolet toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”