bad news good news

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I call mine an expensive hobby. For 2007: $5,800 in payments on the loan, $3,200 in maintenance and equipment and around $3,300 in travel related expenses -- gasoline, camping, etc. Not included in travel related expenses are costs we would have incurred if we had stayed home such as food, household supplies, dog food, eating out that would have been covered by our regular monthly budget, etc. I keep detailed records of all our expenditures so these figures are near exact amounts. I did not bother to get it down to the penny for this post. If you have any figures on the cost of owning a BF please post it!
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
bill crommett

Rigs and coaches

Post by bill crommett »

I need to apologize for starting a terminology storm about rigs and coaches. I had no idea that there were so many inflexible people with strong opinions and a lesser sense of humor than mine. I shall , in the future, keep my comments about that great white plastic money pit that sits out under the canopy by the barn, to a more technical response .
I hope that Mel will forgive me and the rest of this great group will let the subject die an honorable death.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Good Morning Bill...Loved your post !! :wink: As a solo female owner, (and not all that mechanically functional), I am unable to do all the maintenance on my 'coach' by myself. So of course I have to depend on my Friendly RV Shop to do most of the upkeep as I like my BF to stay in top shape...(I'm convinced I'm helping my mechanic pay off his mortgage) :shock: ...and then there's the Detailing crew that charge $300 plus to wax, polish, etc. the outside & I try to have that done twice a year too :roll: ...My friendly Gas Station just loves to see me pull in...knowing they can rest assured that my tank will be filled to the tune of over $100, as their pockets are with my cash... :x I've stopped shopping at Camping World as I could probably open my own store with all the miscellaneous 'gotta haves' that I've purchased there...(I'm sure they miss me & my $$$'s) :x ...As my BF is parked in my driveway (sideways sorta), as the city wanted to fine me for blocking the sidewalk by approx. 8" :evil: ...so having a 3 car wide driveway allows me the option of keeping her where I can see her & thus avoiding a high costly storage yard expense...not counting the real possibility of damage due to break-ins, etc....I have unconsciously renamed my lovely vacation retreat home to the more realistic title of the 'money pit'....I probably could have paid off my home mortgage with the money I've invested in my little white traveling retreat :? ....however, fool that I am, I'd probably do it all over again...Luv that 'money pit'...... 8) I mean....coach :!:
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

Hey Charlotte: It is good to hear from you, and it is nice to know that you are still solvent and in good graces of the municipal grabbers.
Roger H

Re: Rigs and coaches

Post by Roger H »

bill crommett wrote:I shall , in the future, keep my comments about that great white plastic money pit that sits out under the canopy by the barn, to a more technical response .
Oh, PUHLEEZE, Bill... white "plastic" money pit? How DARE you consign these wonderful conveyances to the realm of "plastic"! We ALL know that they are a fiberglass money pit! Why... If I'd have continued to allow you to call my Born Free plastic freely and without consequences... the next thing I'd probably hear someone say is that I have a Tupperware money pit in my driveway! Now where is the dignity in that?

<tongue firmly planted in cheek> :wink:

Roger

BTW, we call ours the "family bus" since we use it as much or more like a passenger van to carry folks around than we use it as a camper.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

Another apology is needed. I am sorry about the "plastic". I have once again descended into the lowest common denominator.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

"I hope that Mel will forgive me and the rest of this great group will let the subject die an honorable death."

Bill, "this great group" certainly relates to Born Free owners and especially the members of the Leap'n Lions. A group that does among other things have a great sense of humor, something lacking in so many folks these days.

Dallas, as for the cost of owning and maintaining a Born Free I look at it this way. We could spend $5,000.00-$6,000.00 for a Alaskan cruise or $6,000.00 - $8,000.00 for a stay at a tropical island resort, in either case we would meet some new people and maybe make a friend or two. Or, we could purchase a Born Free, join the Leap,n Lions and attend some rallies or caravans. Connie and I did just that in 2001 and in the course of the last six years have not only had some great experiences but along the way have made many lasting friendships. At the end of the year we still have the equity in our coach, this works for us.

Roger, "the family bus" works for me.
Mel & Connie
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

Mel: You didn't mention forgiveness.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

bill crommett wrote:Mel: You didn't mention forgiveness.
Bill, I confess that I am not actually a member of the club. I probably should be, but I'm not. Unfortunately, I haven't the time to commit to the club that I would like were that I a member, and my other obligations keep my time more than occupied.

That said, I'm not sure who, exactly, in the club is in charge of absolutions. Perhaps one of the actual members could check the roster and see who the current chair of the committee in charge of absolutions is. Then perhaps forgiveness might be arranged. :wink:

Roger
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

Mel was the president, the last I heard.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Roger, here's the deal. When your check to join the club clears the bank I will officially forgive Bill.

As far as your commitment to the club your annual dues will cover that just fine. HOWEVER, it will be your loss if you do not find the time or the inclination to attend at least one of our rallies or caravans to learn first hand what a great group the Leap'n Lions are. I think Bill will back me up on this.
Last edited by Mel Wilbur on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mel & Connie
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

Not only is Mel a great leader, he is also a very forgiving fellow. A bit expensive, but worth the high class.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Roger, in my post yesterday I referred to Pete by mistake. Don't know what I was thinking but my offer is still valid.
Mel & Connie
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Ok, Mel... I'll get the check in the mail this week. Bill Hemme also let us know in no uncertain terms that we should have already been members... <chuckle>

So, just so I understand the deal, for my $30, I gain admission to the club, can attend club social functions and rallies, and gain absolution for Bill? It's a deal at twice the price! :lol:

Seriously, I also already belong to the Bigfoot Owner's Club, and several other local and international community organizations. Then, in addition to my full-time employment, we also own a dozen rental units. If we don't make any rallies, it'll only be because of too many demands and so little time...

Roger
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Mel, the check went off to John in this afternoon's mail.

Roger

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”