CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Mel Wilbur

CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Doing some research due to three recent CO deaths here in Rhode Island I discovered the following regarding the carbon monoxide alarms in our coaches. This included a conversation with the manufacturer.

1. It appears that the unit used by Born Free is an excellent choice.

2. The unit, COSTAR 9RV, manufactured by Quantum Group, Inc. is warranteed for six years.

3. It is recommended by the manufacture to replace the alarm six years from date of purchase.

4. Prices on this alarm range from $60.00 to $70.00 on the internet but Kim Olson will make them available to Born Free owners for $50.85 if interested. All prices are plus S&H

5. Owners manual for this unit can be downloaded from Quantum at www.qginc.com

6. The alarm should be tested before each trip and frequently during extended stays at one location.

Something worth thinking about.
Mel & Connie
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Mornin' Mel... :P As usual you're out there passing on information & in this case, life-saving info. Thank you :) As you know I have a '99 coach & really haven't paid much attention to the alarm...it shows a green light @ my stair area & I just assume that it's working okay. So my question is, as my unit is over 6 years old & your recommendation is to replace the unit, is this something I can install/replace/do myself? :? Or do I have to pay my RV mechanic to do it? :shock: (You know how he just loves to see me, especially the wallet I carry with the Visa card inside :? ) I'll be going out of town in a week or two, so I really need to address this issue, if there's a possibility of danger to me.... :shock: Don't want my kids to enjoy my hard earned, meager $$$'s before I get a chance to spend them....... :wink:
Take care my friend....will wait your reply... 8)
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Hi Charlotte, the recommendation for replacing the unit is the manufacturers, I am just passing on the information. This is kinda like when do we put new tires on our coach. There evidently is a lifespan on the alarm and the manufacturer wants to cover the bases but in the case of carbon monoxide the stakes are high. If you do not have the original instruction sheet be sure to download it and make your decision to replace it or test it more often. If you follow the test procedure it will verify that the unit is functioning correctly or not.

As for installing, a new unit fits on the same base as the old units so it is no more work than changing the battery (on 9 volt models). No need for Mr. Repairman.

Happy trails
Last edited by Mel Wilbur on Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mel & Connie
lassen

Post by lassen »

Charlotte....You mentioned in your post about the alarm unit by the stairs.
On our coach the LP Gas detector is located by the stairs and the carbon monoxide and the smoke detector are on the ceiling. Can anyone else verify this?

Jack
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Jack, you are correct, good catch. The reason is that LP fumes are heavier than air and that detector should be at floor level and smoke and CO are lighter than air so they are mounted on the ceiling.

On another note I received a note from Kim today stating that when they started installing the CO alarms in the mid 90's they were a different style that was hard wired to the coach batteries. It was later discovered that they did not work that well. Born Free then switched to the newer 9 volt units which they are currently using and recommends that if you have the hard wired model that you do replace it with the newer 9 volt unit.
Mel & Connie
quonset

Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Post by quonset »

An interesting discussion on a serious topic. I recently purchased a 1995 21BFT with the original hard wired alarm (Leco Model 3350) . Does anyone have experience with Kidde Battery (3 AA) CO alarms (www.kiddeus.com) ?? They make two under their name: Model KN-COB-B (<$20) and Model KN-COPP-B (<$45). These are Wal Mart prices. They both have the same sensor detection ability and operating range (40-100F) but the higher priced version has a digital readout. Kidde techinical support claims they can be placed virtually anywhere since CO is 97 % density of air. Kidde also markets under the Atwood brand that have models that come with a metal stand for counter top use.
Russ Hagberg
Columbus, GA
1995 BF 21 BFT
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Russ;

I have been using the Kiddee ones with teh digital dispaly for a few years. They work great, and you can press the button to get an instant reading if you suspect a problem.

I do take them out of the Born Free and store them in my garage for the winter with the batteries out. I don't know if the extreme cold would affect the LCD display.

I get mine at Costco or BJ's but I don't remember the cost.

John
quonset

Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Post by quonset »

Price update. Today,the digital version is >$25 at Sams and <$35 at Wal Mart.
Russ Hagberg
Columbus, GA
1995 BF 21 BFT
quonset

Post by quonset »

Oops. The correct price at Sams is <$25.
Russ Hagberg
Columbus, GA
1995 BF 21 BFT
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Although the Born Free installed CO alarm is somewhat pricey compared to others on the market they may have chosen it based on the information below taken from the Quantum Group website.

A SIR sensor housing is shown in Figure 1. The housing protects the sensing elements from physical damage and harm. A filter (getter) and retainer clip hold the sensing elements in place and prevent dust, smoke particles, liquid water, and other chemicals from entering the sensor chamber. The SIR sensing elements are held in optical alignment by the sensor housing placed between an infrared light emitting diode (LED) and a photodiode. Only COSTAR® carbon monoxide detectors give reliable protection without false alarms. Liquid electrochemical CO sensors — used in most competitors’ detectors — are sensitive to many common household gases, particularly from cleaning products and air fresheners. Their frequent false alarms can lead people to ignore valid alerts, with fatal results. COSTAR® detectors, on the other hand, react only to CO gas, and will not react to gases found in household products.

Received ours yesterday from Kim which is now doing its job in the coach.
Mel & Connie
Mary Findlay

Detectors

Post by Mary Findlay »

A good reminder to ensure that all of our 3 detectors are always in good working order. Our "noses" are a potential backup for 2 of the detectors (smoke and gas/propane) but carbon monoxide cannot be detected by the human nose.
hrgermany

carbon monoxide alarm

Post by hrgermany »

I allways want to be different.My 1995 BF has an alarm made by CCI Controls-Leco 3350.I decided to stay with the same company.The new model is a CCI 3400.00 (color Navajo white) and is also hard wired.The price is $59.95 plus shipping and comes from Safe Home Products.
Tel. 877 358-0900

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26 RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”