Yellowstone

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

feltonc

Yellowstone

Post by feltonc »

We are planning on going to Yellowstone the last week of June working our way out from Minnesota through ND and stopping at Medora ND and then working our way back to Minnesota through the Black Hills. Any suggestions on RV parks. We are taking a Jeep Grand Cherokee toad so we can leave our BornFree parked. Thanks
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I can help somewhat.

We went to Yellowstone 2 years ago when I owned an Allegro, and pulled my Jeep. After visiting friends in Billings, we headed to Red Lodge. Stayed at the KOA. Used the Jeep to drive the eastern part of Beartooth highway, as it was not recommended to do this part with a motorhome. We went as far as Top of the World, which is about half way along Beartooth.

leaving Red Lodge we then took Chief Joseph highway which connects with the Beartooth highway just a little past Top of the World. We towed the Jeep through this section with no problem.

Entered Yellowstone through the northeast gate and toured that section. Not much along that road. We exited the north gate and stayed at a campground there. We proceeded back in the north gate and headed toward West Yellostone and the west gate. We spent a few days at Grizzly RV park and toured the sites in that area of the park with the Jeep.

We left West Yellowstone and spent about 4 days in Fishing Bridge Village. Again used the Jeep to see everything in the southern half of the park. There is also one high pass within the park where you cannlt take a motorhome. We covered that while staying in Fishing Bridge.

In driving around, we found some places where it would have been easy to find a parking spot for the motorhome, and others where there were no spots at all. Could all depend on the time you hit them.

We left through the east gate and came home via WY. We had some problems with the motorhome coming home and had to get towed back to Billings twice, but that's a whole other story.

I would highly recommend Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone. Expensive rate, but very nice campground and the town has a lot to see.

I would have to look up and see where we stayed by the north entrance. Fishing Bridge was alright, but small sites. We just fit a 32' motorhome in, so the Born Free would have no problem.

I can give you more detail if you would like.

John
John S.

Post by John S. »

When going to Yellowstone we stay at fishing bridge. It is not for any reason other than it is centrally located. I have stayed in west yellowstone and the 30 miles in and out with the construction takes for ever. I would also use the BF to tour Yellowstone next time. I can only think of a couple times when it would have been inconvenient but not so much so that it woudl out weigh getting back late. You could also stay at one of the rustic parks in yellowstone with now hookups and if you run the BF all day touring yoru batteries will be fully charged. We go to ranger talks at night near fishing bridge too. Now going down to Jackson I would take the jeep in Jackson.
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

We made this trip in the fall 2 years ago from northern MI but took the southerly route through SD and Wyoming. We really enjoyed the drive from Sheridan, Wyoming to Cody, Wyoming and then into Yellowstone from the east entrance. We stayed at a very clean rv park in Sheridan (Dave's RV Park) and a campground in town in Cody. Cody has a fascinating museum. We liked it so much that we stayed an extra day. They call it the Smithsonean of the West, which is a bit of a stretch, but it is very interesting. We don't tow so we enjoyed being able to walk to the museum and restaurants from the campground, which I think was called Ponderosa. We also stayed at West Yellowstone at the Grizzly, which we really liked. One night was spent in the southern part of the park where the sites are very small. We had no trouble parking the BF in Yellowstone in the fall and were happy to have the facilities available! They are few and far between in Yellowstone. We didn't stay at Fishing Bridge as there were bear warnings at that time and we travel with 2 little dogs. Enjoy! Yellowstone is our favorite NP so far.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Nathan Cook

Yellowstone

Post by Nathan Cook »

We visited Yellowstone and Grand Tetons this fall and really enjoyed the Grizzley in W. Yellowstone and not so much at Fishing Bridge (sites too small). I recommend the tour buses to get a better description of what you are seeing and to enjoy the local color of the drivers.
Be sure to unhook all connections at night to avoid freezing hoses and drains.
We enjoyed the experience very much.
Nathan
Bogiesmom

Post by Bogiesmom »

We went to Yellowstone this past September for 10 days and had an awesome trip. We stayed in KOA's, and found all of them very clean, neat, and enjoyable. On the way there we stayed in the Sheridan KOA on Decker Road, and the two nights at the Cody KOA on the Grey Bull Highway. We also toured the Cody museum while we were there, and found it a wonderful experience.

At Yellowstone we stayed at the West Yellowstone KOA for seven days, which was very nice for our base camp. It's a very nice KOA with indoor heated swimming pool, minature golf, very clean facilities, and a nice staff, etc. Having our Basset Hound with us we needed a campground where we had safe walking areas for him, and it was a nice place to unwind in the evenings. We did have to drive six miles to the park entrance every day, but it was a beautiful drive viewing buffalo and elk herds in the early morning hours as we went through the river valley. We drove all of the roads in the park with the exception of one twelve mile stretch, and it was a trip we will always remember. Do take warm and cold weather clothing, and be prepared for nights that can drop below freezing. We filled our water tank each evening and disconnected since it was down in the teens in the nights while we were there in September.

Coming home we stayed at the Deer Park Campground in Buffalo, WY, not a KOA, but OK. Then on to the White River KOA in Interior, SD which is in the Badlands. It was a super nice campground, lots of wonderful shade trees and near the river.

Our BFT performed flawlessly and we did not have a toad. With it's small size we had no problems going or parking where ever we wished. We hope you will have a great trip, too.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”