Fixing Printed circuit boards

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

George Boley

Post by George Boley »

Greetings, First I would like to say it is nice to be back on this chat room after a summer in the north country. I would also like to acknowledge the hard work that went into our new site.

Printed circut boards-------- For those of you that know me, I love to make things out of nothing and fix things the same way. Printed circut boards are real expensive, usually costing between $175 and $250. So the last thing I want to do is buy One. There are three in particular, that seem to give the most trouble, two in the refrigerator and the one in the water heater. They seem to be real susceptable to moisture and short out because of it. I have fixed three of them real cheaply---------------- by drying them out with a hairdryer. Even if the fix does not become permenent, it will sure get you patched up while miles away from a replacement part. George B
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

We, as well, have used this approach, with remarkable success ~~ great post, and information!
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Hmmm....maybe I should take up an very old hobby? I was trained in soldering circuit boards.... haven't done it in ages (bought a new soldering iron not long ago tho...for a different reason)

I suppose I could actually fix some of them. I should take a look at them and see what they look like and see if they are repairable by someone trained in such stuff? I could dust off my talents and who knows?

I am going to look at mine.
Bill Ruh

Post by Bill Ruh »

FWIW, our hot water heater igniter board lasted 12 years (getting cantankerous near the end) and frig igniter board lasted 12.5 years (working perfectly then failing completely). I replaced both with a board made by dinosaur, model uibs, which, IMO, is better than a suburban or norcold board. One had a spade connector and one had a spark-plug-like connector, and dinosaur makes both flavors. They've worked perfectly for over 2 years. Marksrv.com currently sells them for $95.

But George still wins the Silas Marner frugality award. :-)
w5vthdonb

Circuit Boards

Post by w5vthdonb »

Up to a few years ago I used to fix all my circuit boards as well as my friends. Technology has changed so fast it is imposible to keep up doing this as you have to make a jig to check the boards out.
I found out that I can purchase all the boards that are used in the RV's from Dinosaur electronics. There WEB page is www.dinosaurelectronics.com. There phone numbers are Toll free 1-800-769-6746 Local number 1-541-994-4344 and FAX 1-541-994-2796.
Thanks to these people the circuit boards by Domatic have been improved by using three fuses instead of one. This is a long story.
All RV/appliance boards carry a 3 year limited warranty. You will be surprised how cheap they are from this company vice the manufacturer. I have installed these boards for several years on my RV as well as my friends and have never had one fail. They seem to be far more superior than the ones from the manufactorers.
Those reading this post may want to copy the above information for future use.
PS I have no conections to this company. Just a satisfied custemer.

Don USN ret.
2002 26' RSB
1987 Cabriolet toad
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

Bill & Don. Thanks for the info. I will be the tailgunner on the Alaska trip, and hope to carry a couple extra boards, in case someone needs one. So I will contact the company. I bet boards are few and far apart in that section of the world. George B
[/b]
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

George.
With so many different type of boards it will be hard to handle all of them. You may carry spares for your unit like I use too.
If you contact the company they will send them right out and they only problem I could see is getting them sent corectly through US and Canadian customs. When I ferried an airplane to New Zealand and had to have a radio shipped to Goose Bay Labrador, we didn't have any problem.
The only thing is making sure they get the proper papers for clearing cusoms in Canada.
Don USN ret
2002 26' RSB
1987 Cabriolet toad
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Why would there be a customs problem on circuit boards?

I have bought and sold costume jewelry from and to canada, including shipping (naturally) and unless you're sending shipments of sizes enoght o represent commercial (import/export) amounts, I cannot imagine a customs scenario?

The company is in New Zealand?

If there are customs implications, all the more reason each individual BF owner should buy their own, or group inot twos and threes to save shipping?

No reason for customs to even get involved...

(I've also shipped to Britian, Germany, Thialand, Tiawan, Austrailia, etc.) Usually anything worth less than (I'm going to get arbitrary here) $400 (that's the importation limit from CA to the US last year) is just a tiny little form to fill out but no cost.

PatTrish
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

The company doing the mailing in the US has to fill the documents out. If these are done corectly there is no problem. I found this out on mail being forwarded on caravans to Canada.
Companies that ship to Canada know the rules so there is no problems. Passed the information for info only.

Don USN ret
2002 26' RSB
1987 Toad
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Ahh.... of course! Mea culpa.

I learned on my jewelry list. When I was first new to it I had to ask also...I think we all do until it is routine.

You're right.

Trish

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”