Honda CRV Toad

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Steve W

Honda CRV Toad

Post by Steve W »

Does anyone in the Club tow a Honda CRV? We are in the process of installing the necessary equipment to tow our 2004 and would be interested to hear of any experiences/suggestions that might be out there. We have read the manual and are aware of what Honda requires, but there are always those few pearls of wisdom that only come from experience. :)
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
Rich Flaugh

CRV toad

Post by Rich Flaugh »

Although I don't currently have a BF coach I do pull a '06 CRV with my DP. I think it's the best toad available. I use a Blue Ox system with a M&G brake set up. It takes about 3 minutes to hook-up or unhitch. The M&G is probably not applicable to your BF because of the lack of air brakes on the coach.
CRV four down towing requirements are minimal compared to most other vehicles. My wife uses the CRV as her personal car and loves it.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Steve, we also have a 2006 CRV and find it to be a very good driver as well as a toad. Following the recommended shift routine is all that is required. If driving for a full day I make it a practice of starting the Honda and going through the shift pattern when we stop for lunch.

We use a Blue Ox coach mounted tow bar with the SMI braking system on the Honda. I believe that M&G does offer a system with its own air compressor and reserve take for coaches without air brake systems.
Mel & Connie
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have a '97 CRV (first production year sold in the US) purchased new. A year or two later I received correspondence that indicated there had been a class action suit regarding transmission damage to CRV's that were towed. Evidently the settlement involved Honda either paying for or re-imbursing owners for repairs. I had never towed my CRV at that time so I had no claim or concern. In 2002 when I purchased my BF I contacted Honda and they sent me a letter detailing the procedure to follow when towing, as the owner's manual does not cover the procedure. I've had no problems towing, although we do it infrequently, usually to escape hurricanes! I use a Brake Buddy. It does not have proportional braking as newer models do, but it works fine for us.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Randy Wilson

Post by Randy Wilson »

We tow a 2005, all-wheel drive, Honda CR-V with a Blue OX base plate, Blue OX Aladdin tow bar and a Toad-Stop brake system. It has worked well for us. It's our primary transportation at home, but has been towed more miles than driven - about 16,000 miles. We have been very pleased with the vehicle.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

My thanks to all who responded. We have decided to go with the Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar. For braking, will go with the Roadmaster Even Brake with proportional braking. We realize there are other units which function just as well but that is what the RV service and repair shop here in Chico, CA. carries. Incidentally, should anyone just happen to be in the Chico area and have the misfortune to need repairs, am happy to suggest Chico Truck and RV. They work on all types of RVs and I have heard several of our local RV friends refer positively about their work.

Again, thanks for the responses regarding the Toad.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”