Battery Charging

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Willie

Battery Charging

Post by Willie »

Can one you helpful electrical gurus answer a question for me?
I know that when plugged into shore power that the battery charging rate for the house batteries is controlled by the converter and I think that it also is controlled by that converter when running the generator since they both are 115v sources that need to be converted to a nominal 12 volts, but what is not clear to me is if the converter controls charging to the batteries when only the engine alternator is providing power (12 volts). Essentially, can I get a higher charging rate by running the engine and bypass the meager, and uncontrolled, output of the Parallax converter? How about when the engine is running and the generator is also running, does one of them take charging precedence?
My coach is stored for the winter in a place that electricity is not available so each month I try to drive it 20 to 30 miles and run the generator under load to exercise it but I am not sure that I am maintaining the coach batteries at a full charge because of the limitations of the Parallax converter. I would feel better if I thought the engine generator was giving a maximum charge rate to the coach batteries during these drives. I know that the best answer is to change to a Progressive Dynamics converter but I’m not sure I’m ready to tackle that project.
Thanks for any opinions and advice. Willie
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

Willie
The first thing is we have to keep this simple and not spend any money.
The engine altenator will charge the coach batteries faster than any other method and most likly (notice those two weasle words) take precedent over both the converter and the generator. On the generator, don't forget it produces 120 volts AC only so any battery charging is done through the converter anyway. If your coach batteries are low, there is no sense to make them lower still by cranking the gen to recharge them slowly. A lot of owners recomend shutting off the coach battery disconect switch when you are plugged in so not to over charge the coach batteries. I agree with this recommendation. I store my coach with the batteries in and the switch off, if it makes you feel better disconnect the negative (no spark if wrench hits frame) wire. No, a new, over rated
converter is not October's recommended buy. George B
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Willie,

You can get a little 1.5W solar panel on Ebay or from JC Whitney for about $10 that will keep your battery topped off if you have a place to put the panel and wires. Get 2, one for the chassis too. A panel this small doesn't require a controller.

Even with the solar panel, I'd still disconnect the coach battery as George advises.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”