generator question

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

whemme

Shock Mount Replacement for Onan Generator

Post by whemme »

Karl,

I looked under my Onan generator also and could not figure out a simple way to replace the shock mounts. Looked to me like the generator and its mounting base would have to be totally removed from the coach in order to do the job. That is why I decided I will have our local Cummins/Onan dealer do this work.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

After serveral posts now I think its safe to say that, with regard to noise and vibration, the differences between the Generac and Onan are personal, subjective, and negligible - kind of like choosing between a Chevrolet Caprice and a Ford LTD. :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
BornFree_n_Now

Sparkplug and Fuel Filter Replacement

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

In the same vein, we have developed a surge in our 4K Onan Emerald ~~ caught it with our frequency/voltage monitor ~~ we have about 450 hours on the unit, and religiously change oil and air filters, and exercise unit as advised. Manual suggests that the problem may be fuel filter, sparkplugs, governor or fuel pump. We have carried a new set of plugs and fuel filter for the past couple of years, but really didn’t want to replace same untill nexessary because it does look as if the procedure could prove a challenge. Now that we have a surge, we have to address the matter, and when we checked the local generator shop, they quoted a $105 per hour flat rate, which has us reconsidering whether we should go ahead and attempt the replacement of the plugs and the fuel filter on our own, before taking out a second mortgage :shock: Has anyone any experience they can share with regard to this matter.
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Jon Pollei

Post by Jon Pollei »

If I remember right, in this forum a some time ago there was a discussion on this subject. It was stated that if different oil filter than the Onan is used you must be careful as most are to long and will strike the frame when it shuts down.

Just a thought
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

As I recall, it is virtually impossible to change both sparkplugs on the Onan unless the generator is dropped from its mounting brackets. The Onan Emerald may be a different generator than mine, but when I had service at the suggested interval (400? hours I think) the Onan dealer changed the plugs, but the unit was removed for all the work that was done. The Onan tech who did the work mentioned that many owners assume there is only one sparkplug and change only the one on the outside.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
ronrvnew

Generator - Gas or LP?

Post by ronrvnew »

I am looking at the 27'RSB unit with gas engine. I know that the LP gas tank is larger than many other rv's. Would it be better to have the LP generator or just have the gasoline & use fuel from to gas tank????
I have a whole house LP gas generator and it works great and is very quiet too.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ron
Mike Jean Bandfield

Re: Generator - Gas or LP?

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

ronrvnew wrote:Would it be better to have the LP generator or just have the gasoline & use fuel from to gas tank????
I have a whole house LP gas generator and it works great and is very quiet too.

Ron
I have a LP gennie and it definitely has some advantages. In storage, LP doesn't gel and gum up the fuel lines and carb like gas so there is no need to cycle it throughout the winter - or endure the hassles of cleaning it out if you don't. And, LP burns very clean which is good for the engine and that implies lower maintenance costs. Also, with a diesel chassis engine it's a reasonable alternative.

However, IMO, the benefits don't offset the convenience of gas and the ease of refilling and maintaining an adequate gas supply. LP sources are much harder to find - especially when you are traveling in unfamiliar territory. I assume from your sig line that you will be travelling around the SE and if you do any serious boondocking you'll be happy to have a 60 gallon gas tank at the ready. With that big Born Free LP tank and a gas gennie you could go as long as a year between LP fills if you don't use the furnace often.

OBTW, LP doesn't necessarily = quiet. They can be just as loud as a gas gennie. "Quiet" depends on design (i.e., mufflers, mounting, baffling, etc).
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
whemme

Generator Type?

Post by whemme »

Ron,

If you are purchasing a Born Free with the V10 gas engine, I would recommend that you buy the generator with a gas engine also since it takes fuel from the top 80% level of the coach's 55 gallon fuel tank (assuming a Ford E-450 coach chassis).

A coach equipped with a LP generator, while its certainly will work OK, will cause you to have to fill your LP tank more often than desired. Gas stations are plentiful but places to buy propane are more limited. The two devices that quickly use up your 26 gallon tank of LP is the furnace and the generator if LP powered.

If you intend to do any amount of dry camping on colder days, you will find that your furnace needs can cause a need to refill the LP tank every week or so. And if you dry camp on hot days, you will find the need to run the generator in order to power your AC. If the generator is LP powered, the need to refill the LP tank will be even more frequent than weekly.

Every year in early August, I dry camp for 10 days in Knoxville, IA which is located in the SE part of the state. The days can be hot. Last year as an example, I ran my Onan gas generator a total of 47.8 hours during those 10 days and I used 23.2 gallons of fuel out of my 55 gallon tank to power that generator.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”