Roadmaster Tow system

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Larry Nordby

Roadmaster Tow system

Post by Larry Nordby »

I recently acquired a Honda Pilot as my toad and am investigating available systems. Camping World quoted approximately $3000 for their best braking system, a more than adequate tow bar and of course the base plate.

How does this compare with systems and cost other on this forum have experienced?

Thanks for your input!
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

hi Larry -- I don't remember the cost but I have the Blue OX system and am very satisfied with it -- I would suggest that you consider a tow bar that stays on the coach vs one that stays on the tow car -- that way you don't have to deal with a bar that stickes out front all the time when not towing -- I have had it both ways -- Bob Newby
norijake

Post by norijake »

Larry,

We also have the Roadmaster braking system on our 26RB. If I remember correctly, the price quote you have is the same as we paid for the braking system, a Sterling tow bar with base plates and installation. Camping World (Tampa, FL) did a very nice job on the installation and we especially appreciated the time the one in charge of the installation spent explaining the use of the equipment to us. The BF is our first experience owning a MotorCoach and, hence, with a toad. Our particular toad is a 2007 Wrangler.

We are very pleased with the ease of use (connection and disconnection) and the operation of the entire system when towing.

Camping World wired the compressor for the Roadmaster through the Ford chassis air conditioning/heating fan switch which means that, in order to have power to the compressor, we have to have that switch out of the OFF position. I may rewire that some day but, so far, it hasn't proven to be a problem. We always run with the heat or a/c on anyway so I doubt I'll ever get around to wiring in a dedicated switch for the compressor - unless I get really bored :)

Using the connector supplied by the Born Free factory, Camping World also wired the running lights, brake lights and turn signals on the toad so that they operate in conjunction with the BF's lights and the lights use power from the coach not the toad; I assume this is how it is always done since it makes hooking up and unhooking very simple as well as not taxing the toad's battery, but you might mention this to your installer to insure they do it this way.

One thing that may be brand peculiar to the Wrangler is that the Wrangler ops manual indicates that one should disconnect the battery + cable when towing. I assume that is to preserve the battery power since the keys must be left in the AUX position while towing to unlock the wheel. So far we have never towed more than a couple of days without driving the toad, so we just leave the battery cables attached. When I get around to it, I may affix a quick disconnect to the + cable to make that an easy chore; that'll probably occur at the same time I rewire the power for the compressor :)

FWIW, we do have a 'dummy' ignition key that will allow the key to be turned to the AUX position but, if the engine is started with it, the engine dies in short order, a nice safety feature. I had heard that if the dummy key is ever used to start the engine, the ignition would lock requiring a tow to a dealership to restart. This I have discovered is NOT true. The engine simply won't run more than 10-15 seconds as long as the 'dummy' key is in the ignition. Using a normal key returns all to normal.

The Sterling tow bar came with a locking pin which easily fits inside the rear bumper access to the BF hitch. I also purchased from the BF factory a lock for the access door to replace the nonlocking latch. At the same time, I bought the same locking latches for the gas cap access door and the water panel access door. All of the panel door locks from BF are keyed the same for ease of use.

Towing the Wrangler and holding 60 mph on level roads has resulted in about a 3 mpg drop in fuel mileage, from an average of 10 mpg to around 7 mpg. Although you can tell it is back there, mostly because speed drops off more quickly towing on hilly roads, the V-10 handles the towing with ease and we usually have the BF loaded up around 12,000 lbs. I don't attempt to keep the speed at 60 going up hills and generally kick the cruise control off before the tranny downshifts. Probably my imagination but this seems to help with gas mileage.

We also use a TPMS to keep track of the tire pressures for the toad.

Overall, we're very satisfied with the performance of the Roadmaster and the Sterling as well as with the installation done by Camping World. I think you'll be fully satisfied with all if you happen to go that way. It is high quality equipment and Camping World has always served me well.

Jake
2004 26' RB
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I have had my Blue Ox tow bar for about 10 years with no problems, Blue Ox attends many FMCA rallies, and at one they offered free tow bar service, consisting of tightening the bolts, lubricating and making minor adjustments.

I have towed 4 different Jeeps with it, having to buy a new baseplate for each one.

I also use the Brake Buddy auxiliary braking system. I like it because it can be moved from vehicle to vehicle since there is no permanent installation. Just plugs into the power outlet.

Check http://www.rvupgrades.com for prices. I just bought the baseplate for my '08 Wrangler from them and have bought other items from them in the past. QUick delivery.

Jake, you may find this site interesting for towing your Jeep.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc ... 3541098163 Although the manual says to disconnect the battery cable, all that is necessary is to "remove" one fuse. Removing it only requires to pull it up, not really taking it completely out.

I also just bought the wiring kit for my Jeep from the Cool Tech company mentioned in the post. Haven't installed it yet, but hopefully soon.

I originally bought the Blue Ox tail light kit, but I'm not sure about drilling the holes in the tail light housing. It's tight, space wise.

Hope this helps.

John
GKarschnick

Post by GKarschnick »

We used the Blue Ox system on our previous Born Free and it workrd great. On our new rig, we bought the Roadmaster system with the Sterling towing bar. It also works great and in my opinion is easier to hookup and unhook. If the prices are similar, I would recommend it. We also use a "Brake Buddy". You can find them used or slightly used in the ads in the FMCA magazine. We bought ours in brand new condition for around $350. It seems that there are some offered in nearly every issue. Good luck!
norijake

Post by norijake »

John,

Many thanks for the heads up info on the IOD circuit breaker. That is one extremely easy solution to disconnecting the battery + cable. I knew there was a valid reason for my procrastination in installing a disconnect switch other than just being my normal lazy self. You made my day! Thank you!! :D :D :D

Jake
2004 26' RB
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Larry. We are now thinking of setting up our Honda CRV as a toad. We have been quoted $2,800+ for the Roadmaster Falcon 2 with the EVEN BRAKE braking system (same as the Brake Buddy). That price includes all necessary brackets/base plates and installation. Of course that does not include CA taxes, but perhaps it will give you a comparison price to consider.
Steve W
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
Larry Nordby

Roadmaster

Post by Larry Nordby »

Thanks all....I think I'm going to have them install the system. I do like the coast to coast support from both Camping World and the Roadmaster Dealer system. Prices are very comparable among manufacture's and they all seem to do the job.

I like the idea of storing the bar on the BF...looks to be a cleaner installation and no hardware to carry on the toad.

I appreciate the suggestions...as always!
BobM

Check the prices at Big Discount RV

Post by BobM »

I purchased my Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow equipment from Big Discount RV. Their prices were excellent plus they shipped UPS at no charge. They also carry Blue Ox, Reese and Demco tow bars. Depending where you live, you may even avoid sales tax. I also purchased my Brake Buddy from Big Discount RV. I did not purchase the base plates from them because Camping World would not do the installation if the base plates were purchased from a third party.
Before you purchase, take a look at the prices from Big Discount RV http://bigdiscountrv.com/
Bill Wright

Roadmaster Tow system

Post by Bill Wright »

I purchased a Roadmaster Falcon about 8 years ago after the Blue Ox broke and Blue Ox offered no replacement other than to tell me to buy a new one. Do you really want a tow bar that requires you to periodically go to rallies so the manufacturer can tighten the bolts that never should have come loose to begin with? If you have a Blue Ox, check the bolts before you leave home -- don't wait for the next rally.

The Falcon has worked fine.

I have avoided auxiliary braking systems because the earlier systems were too mickeymouse. My 30' Class A did not seem to have any trouble stopping with the 3,000 pound Sebring convertible behind it.

But times change, products are improved and laws change. With my new Born Free President, I bought a D-celerator Unified Tow Braking system ($1500). This was the number 3 recommendation of the mechanic I use who specializes in towing systems. The first two recommendations required more effort to hook up, removing fuses or other things.

To operate the brake I connect one electric cable and one brakeaway cable between the RV and the toad. The brakeaway cable sets the toad's brakes if the tow bar fails like the Blue Ox did on me in Minnesota (2,000 miles from home).

A friend of mine has a momentum based unit that mounts on the floor of the toad and pushes on the toad's brake pedal. My towing mechanic said that if I twisted his arm, he would sell me one of those, but he didn't recommend it. It sounded to me like a technology from an earlier century. For my friend, Jim, it serves his purpose as a liability palliative and makes him legal in all those states now requiring toad brakes.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”