Towing Toads

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Jo Hayworth

Towing Toads

Post by Jo Hayworth »

Decided to buy a toad...a '07 Saturn Ion, even with side curtain air bags, that is silver and is a good looker with the '04 RSB...my question is: for those that tow toads, will the Born Free factory installed rear wheel debris guards be enough protection against debris/etc from being thrown upon the front of the Ion? Thanks Tom Hayworth North Carolina..Go Wolfpack!
Randy Wilson

Post by Randy Wilson »

It has been for me. I've towed our Honda CR-V more than 15,000 miles with no additional protection and no damage.
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi Tom -- I tow a PT Cruser and have not had any problems -- Bob Newby
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Tom;

I towed my Grand Cherokee last year with my Born Free and had no problems.

I previously towed it and 2 other Jeeps with other motorhomes without any issues. At one point I was concerned and bought a full width flap (heavy rubber strips about 6" wide) and while driving on the highway I could see the flaps sailing almost straight out the back. Didn't see what protection they were offering, so I removed them.

I also tried one of the vinyl "bras" on the front of my Cherokee. The instructions clearly state it has to be removed on a regular basis since sand and debris can get between it and the vehicle and scratch the finish. It was also very hard to stretch it to fit, especially in the cooler weather. That also went in the "why did I waste my money" pile.

We'll see this year how the Wrangler makes out :wink:

John
norijake

Post by norijake »

Tom,

I haven't accumulated a lot of towing mileage but, with a couple of round trips between Apollo Beach, FL and Greenville, SC and several trips between Apollo Beach and Dothan, AL, I haven't noticed any damage to our Wrangler.

Jake
2004 26' RB
Bill Wright

Towing toads

Post by Bill Wright »

I only have 4,000 miles on my 2008 President. 2,000 of them towing a car. The car got dirty, but nothing that would not wash off.

With my previous motorhome, I previously tried a bra on the car. Big mistake as indicated by the previous response. I did not remove the bra often enough a sustain some finish damage.

I did install a brush on the rear of the previous motor home. I thought it helped because it was on the coach when I sold it after 11 years. But I never tried riding on the back bumper to see if it sailed straight out back. It was quite stiff and I suspect it worked better than flexible rubber strips. But we still had to wash the car.
whemme

Use Sandpaper!

Post by whemme »

Here is some advice I received sometime ago after trying a bra on my previous 1998 Chevrolet Malibu toad. I damaged the finish with the bra also.

So anyone that wants to install a bra on their toad to protect the paint finish on the front should do this first. Buy some sandpaper and use it to scratch up the paint on the front of your toad. You will get the same results installing a bra but the sandpaper will cost you much less. :D
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”