ford recall second time

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

hrgermany

ford recall second time

Post by hrgermany »

Ford recalls vehicles a second time,because a cruise control switch was found to pose a fire hazard.In some cases,homes were destroyed when vehicles burned in attached garages.1992-2003 Econoline models are included in this recall.That is all motor homes built on Ford chassis.

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26 RSB
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I saw this information also, but don't know what the remedy is. I had mine done by the local Ford dealership & will probably call them on Monday to ask what action to take....will post if I get an answer... :?
mike&linda

Ford Recall

Post by mike&linda »

I had this recall performed on my 93 E150 Van.
A small new wiring harness with a fuze was added to the cruise control wiring going to the switch on the brake system.
The purpose of this switch is to disengage the cruise control when the brake is applied. For some reason this switch always had power even when the van was off. The problem is that this switch would some times fail causing a short circuit and starting a fire.
:idea: If you have not had this recall performed yet you can disconnect this switch, this eliminates the possibility of a short circuit, this will also disable the cruise control. I hope this will help!
1990 26' RSB Diesel
mike&linda

Ford recall update E series 1992 thru 2003

Post by mike&linda »

Just read that Ford is again recalling their vehicles :oops: . It seams that some of the wiring harnesses they have used in this recall are defective. This means that if you have had the recall performed you might still have a problem. You should be notified if your vehicle needs to be repaired again.
:idea: My suggestion that you can disconnect this switch to eliminate this problem, still stands. Since most of our BF are in storage this time of year, an inopertive cruise control is far better than a underhood fire.
1990 26' RSB Diesel
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

As promised earlier I am posting regarding the Ford Recall on the Speed Control switch. This morning I called the Ford dealership (Capitol Ford) here in San Jose regarding same. They had installed the original correction for me in Aug. '06. They checked my VIN and found that this second recall does not affect my BF. The manager I spoke to is going to fax me the information he has received from Ford outlining the details. I will try to copy & post same if it is helpful to others. I would advise others to contact the closest Ford dealership to check further for their details & information. 8)
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

The Ford dealership faxed me the info....It only applies to my VIN, so when you call your local Ford place...have your VIN so you can give it to them & they'll check to see if you fall into the 2nd recall... 8)
mike&linda

Ford Recall Web Site

Post by mike&linda »

You can check any Ford product for recalls with a VIN number at this web site.
http://www.ford.com/owner-services/cust ... nformation
1990 26' RSB Diesel
Mary Ann

FORD VIN CHECK

Post by Mary Ann »

Thanks for posting the website to check vin numbers for recall. My BF 24 RB is an '07, but knowing Dodgen buys many at a time, I checked and indeed it must truly be an 07 chassis, and there was no recall on it.
Mary Ann
Ruby2

Post by Ruby2 »

I decided to use the web site. It kept coming up INVALID VIN number.

Well, sure enough my Insurance policy had a F for a S. So at least I found that out and got it corrected. I guess I have never checked the policy info against the VIN number before. Not sure what problem that would have caused if I had a claim!

So no recall but good things came from this post.

Thanks,

Gary G.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Gary, with all those vehicles you have, you might want to verify the other four VINs against your insurance policies. :lol:
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Bill Wright

ford recall second time

Post by Bill Wright »

I got my first recall back in September on my prior motorhome on a 1996 Ford chassis. This was the day before we were scheduled to depart for a 3 week trip to Colorado.

The notice was scary. Don't park in or near a building or something to that effect. I called a Ford dealer and was told that they did not have the parts and that I could call back next week.

I decided that if the RV had not burned my garage or storage unit down during the last 11 years that it could survive another 3 weeks and we left for Colorado.

When we returned home, I called the dealer. He said he had the parts to repair most of the units, but if the possible failure required more extensive repairs, I would have to wait until they got the parts in. He gave me an appointment. I took the RV to the dealer, and in an hour I drove away.

If I understood the service writer correctly, because of the number of vehicles involved, Ford only recalled a portion of the effected vehicles at a time. As the parts become available, Ford is recalling more and more vehicles. So vehicles older than 1993 could be next.
hrgermany

ford reall second time

Post by hrgermany »

I took my 1995 BF 26 RSB to the dealer to day for the second recall.The
whole procedure took 3 minutes.All the did change the switch that sits in front of the brake master cylinder that canceles the cruise control when the brake is applied.The paper work took longer than the actual job.

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26 RSB
thkurtz

Ford recall 08S01

Post by thkurtz »

I have a 2002 Born Free RSB and received a recall notice on Monday Feb 25th recall #08S01 stating that a fuser switch had to be replaced to avoid an over load and possible fire. I took it in to Gator Ford this AM in Tampa, Fl . Actual Ford E450 is 2001. Service took less than 1hr.
2002 RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

It may only take an hour, but in my case I'll have to drive 45 minutes to the dealer and 45 minutes home. Plus, I'll have to take the cover off the top of the BF and replace it when I return, about an hour job combined. I went in for the original recall and had to talk the service manager into figuring a way to get the BF in the Ford dealership shop. We pulled it up to one of the overhead doors just far enough in to get to the engine compartment. So my question is" Why in the "blank" do I have to go in for a SECOND recall? Sure doesn't give one confidence in Ford!!
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
David and Susan Bratt

recall

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

Great. Our 24 RB is in storage 3 hours away. We did disconnect the engine battery, however, when we put it away - would that help?
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”