Traveling with dogs

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Sometimes the dogs just take off and leave us at home......
Attachments
dogs driving bf 540X360.jpg
dogs driving bf 540X360.jpg (37.54 KiB) Viewed 10937 times
Chuck Collins

Recognized Drivers

Post by Chuck Collins »

Hey, I have seen these same drivers on some of the Freeways in Dallas recently! Much more friendly, courtious and polite than the average Texas driver I noticed.

Only problem was when they would slam on their brakes when they drove by a water hydrant, jump out, do their thing and then jump back into their RV!
lassen

Post by lassen »

John, is that antenna you have stuck on the windshield for the CB or Cell Phone? Also, what brand and how would you rate it?

Thanks......Jack
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Jack;

It's a cell phone antenna.

I have a smoothtalker amplifier and the antenna. The antenna can be used without the amplifier also. It does improve the reception quite a lot.

with just the external antenna it boosts the number of bars by 1 or 2. In most instances, if there is any signal strength and I use the amplifier I get full bars on the phone. If there is no cell signal at all, then it's a gamble whether or not it will work.

In some spots, using the amplifier, I was the only one who was able to get a signal. Others with us could not use their phones at all.

I've had it for several years. During the winter when we are not using the motorhome, I carry the amplifier in my Jeep. Not hooked up, but I have it and a magnetic antenna in case of an emergency and cell phone service was iffy. I do leave the magnetic antenna in the Jeep at all times, just in case.

Where the antenna is mounted on the Born Free is not the best spot. It should be mounted above the roof line. But short of buying a new antenna, drilling a hole in the Born Free and running a cable, this seems to serve the purpose. But, just in case, I have a spare magnetic antenna in the motorhome also. I could put it up on the roof, or have my wife climb a tree and hold it (not during a lightning storm, of course) while I made my calls.

Smoothtalker info can be found at http://smoothtalker.com/

It is a Canadian company, and some of their connections/fittings are priority to them. You can not go to Radio Shack and pick one up. You do need a cable specific to your cell phone. They use overnight shipping, and it is expensive but fast.

Wilson also makes amplifiers and antennas, and they are readily available in truck stops and electronic stores. I do not have any experience with their equipment.

So, to make a short story even longer, the antenna works good. With the amplifier added, it works great.

John
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

John

We do not have a pet, primarily due to alergies, but looking closely at your two companions, I could not help but notice that there appears to be a greater degree of concentration in their operation of the Born Free than I see in most folks that operate their vehicles here in California. In fact, peering quite closely at their faces, I cannot help but discern what appears to be a greater degree of intelligence than I see in many people presently careening around this state in their oversize bumper cars. They can chauffeur our rig (excuse me, coach) any time. :?

Steve W
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Yes, they do stay focused on the task at hand. Whether it be driving, playing ball or doing their obedience training. Best is when we leave them to run into a store or grab a bite to eat. When we come out usually there are a few people standing in front of the motorhome looking at them sitting in the seats.

On a funny note, one time we stopped at Mt. Washington in NH. I ran into the visitors center, and left the keys in the ignition, turned off. My wife came out the side door to take some pictures, and automatically hit the lock button. My keys were in the ignition, her keys were in her pocketbook, inside the coach. We had the generator running and the roof a/c on. We had 2 other Shepherds at the time, but they assumed the same positions when we left them, looking out the windshield waiting for us to return. As we waited outside in the 90 degree heat for 3 hours, everyone passing by thought it was so cute that the dogs were sitting so pretty. We weren't happy that they did not know how to open the locks.

Heidi, the younger one in the passenger seat has figured out how to unlock the driver and passenger doors. So now when we come back, we never know if the doors will be open or locked. Good thing their appearance keeps away the bad guys. Yes, they will bark and sound ferocious if someone comes near the coach. They have to protect their biscuits :lol:

John
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Man, the price of those cell phone boosters/amplifiers absolutely floored me. :shock: Wonder if Bill Hemme could build one from Radio Shack parts???? :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Jo Hayworth

traveling with dogs

Post by Jo Hayworth »

Simple solution...put a dog (in heat of course) in a crate and the extra dogs will lay all over the crate for the whole trip....no problems with the dogs !!!! Tom Hayworth
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Does it look like these 2 have any problems......
Attachments
dogs on couch.jpg
dogs on couch.jpg (74.14 KiB) Viewed 10754 times
John S.

Dogs

Post by John S. »

We travel with 3 King Charles Cav Spaniels. We had the factory put in two seatbelts on both of our born frees. They are then attached and pulled tight to the back of the couch near the crack and then we attach doggie seatbelts to the people seat belts and use their full body harnesses to hold the dogs.
shezonit

travel with dogs, again

Post by shezonit »

Yeah its an old thread... which I thought might be about the JOY of traveling with dogs...:-) Or practicalities of how to leave them safely on a hot day. ?

When I got my Papillon,Emmett, the breeder informed me that her dogs always travel in crates for their safety. I saw her on the way to a show once with nine 5 lb. Papillons all stacked in their little crates, with toys and chewies.
I'm very glad Emmett is crate trained, it comes in handy sometimes. But my other tiny dog, Odie, a rescue with a history of abuse, is terrified of crates. And crates are bulky, so..... they both ride free, taking turns being on my lap or the passenger seat.
These dogs also ride on the back of my motorcycles, in a motorcycle specific carrier ( Kuryakin Pet Palace) Emmett stands up and puts his paws on my back. (they are leashed in)
I have even taken them on off road rides. They'd rather go than be left at home. And they love running around in the woods and desert.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

On hot days in a campground we leave the air on for them. Never had a problem with losing power and the a/c shutting off. But just in case, we do leave the roof vent open, even with the a/c on. Of course they have a large bowl of water on the floor also.

If it's not too hot we leave the side windows open (with those maxx-air window vents) and the ceiling vent fan on also. We also have a window awning over the couch window so that helps keep the sun out also.

We usually are not away for more than 2-3 hours at a time anyway. If we have to be, we'll take the BF with us and leave the Jeep behind.

Works for us :lol:

John
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

I'm not concerned with leaving them when I am plugged in. It's when I'm on the road and its hot and I need to leave them for awhile. I do leave vent open, Fantastic on, foil on sunny side, windows cracked, etc. But if it's 105 degrees outside, it will get to 90+ in the rig.

Another thing I have done is wet the dog towels and lay them on their beds on the floor, so they get some evaporative cooling. And on really hot days, I'll put the dogs in the tub and douse them with cool water with the hand shower. That gives me an extra hour.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”