Bumper storage

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tmresearch

Bumper storage

Post by tmresearch »

I have the 2004 RSB with the extended bumper. I just purchased it less that a monthy ago and I have already cracked the edge of the fiberglass bumper as it "bottoms out" constantly when I go in and out of slanted driveways.

Other than being more careful, any advice on this as I really try to go slowly when encountering a different level drive?

My main question is: what do you store in your 2 bumper hatches? I can not put in my 15 ft sewer hose. The sewer hose only fits into the sewer PVC tube if the end connections are taken off and that is a hassle.

Any hints for a "newbie" would be helpful as I love this BF as it replaced a 1996 Pleasure Way Excell (which I used for 10 years) with 122,000 miles on it and that was not adequate for growing grandchildren!!!
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Dallas

We had a 2004 BFT and now have a 2007 24RB; both with the extended rear bumper. Neither of the compartments in the bumper are waterproof so I have enlarged the two drain holes and put in two more. That said, in one I carry the sewage fitting that screws into the campground outlet. In the other I carry a 10ft sewer dump hose with both fittings attached. For it to fit, I shortened it a bit but it still gives me over 9ft and works well. In the under bumper storage, I have a 20ft sewer hose with fittings attached that I have also shortened just enough for it to fit. In the 9 years of Born Free RVing, this setup has never failed us.

Hope this helps. Incidentally, welcome to the "club". The Born Free is a really great unit. Not perfect maybe, but definitely a quality rv.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

I don't have those bumper boxes. I do have a large steel bumper, which has a plastic sewer hose storage tube in it. There is a sewer hose with fittings on it in there, BUT not the fittings I want. I'm trying to think of another use for that tube. Meanwhile, my real hose set up goes in a heavy plastic bag and fits in the forward curbside storage. That's where I put all the "unclean" stuff- the sewer stuff, extra oil, etc. The. "clean" stuff goes in the underbed storage at the back.

The more time I spend in the BF, the more I appreciate its build quality and amenities.
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

Hatch locks and keys. I can't get at anything "quick". When I got my BF, each outside hatch had a different key.... OMG was that an exercise in frustration.
I was able to buy some locks with matching keys, so now I'm at 2 keys for all the hatches.
I was tempted to put wing nuts on them all... I wonder if any one has ever had their hatches broken into? ,
hayesj29020

Post by hayesj29020 »

If at all possible, go in slowly
at as much of an angle as you can when you encounter different levels.
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

As far as bottoming out: As said, go in/out at an angle if possible. Slow way down also. This tends to annoy other drivers but better to protect the RV. Your RV should have rollers beneath the bumper and skid bars further back. These cover most of the inclines except very abrupt incline changes.

As far as the bumper storage areas: many of my sewer attachments and my outside temperature unit are in my right side. 10' sewer hose with bayonet fittings on my left. I also have a PVC pipe beneath the bumper holding another 15' sewer hose but seldom use it.

I have the round key locks on both compartments but this was from a central america trip where I put those key locks on every compartment door that didn't have them. I doubt anyone in the US or Canada would want to touch used sewer stuff although some neighborhood kids decided one compartment made a swell place for their rock collection (before the locks were added). :)
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I just keep the sewer hose fittings in those compartments. The sewer hose goes into a PVC pipe attached to the top of the bumper.

Regarding the bottoming-out on steep driveways, my drag rollers seem to take the brunt of the action. Have you considered adding a little more air to your airbags?
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Are your airbags filled?
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
tmresearch

bumper storage

Post by tmresearch »

Thanks everyone for your prompt reply and advice. I have heard good things about this forum and look forward to your seniority in having a BF.

The Pleasure Way (Class B) forum was one of my best sources for guidance when I got into areas that were challenging and know the Leap ' Lions RV Club will follow suit.

I do go slowly (hold up traffic) and go in at a slant to try and not bottom out. I keep about 60 pounds in the air bags. In thinking back on when the bumper was cracked at the section where the metal frame stops near the end of the bumper, I must have BACKED out and bottomed out! Learned my lesson on that.

Never thought about storing "rocks" in the bumper; maybe gold coins!!

Again, thanks for all you who responded.

Dallas
Ray

Post by Ray »

I drilled extra drain and vent holes in the bumper storage bays cause they were filling up with water - I keep the sewer hose fittings in there, mounted my outside reader for the in/out thermometer on the back of one of the doors, keep the wrench for the hot water drain plug in there - also my propane stove and butane stove canisters in there - not sure how smart that is but probably smarter than inside the RV - I have my water regulator and fittings in there (not the same one as the sewer fittings) - Id have to go look to see what else I have in there - but basicly anything that wont get hurt from getting a little damp.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

In the right side I have sewer fittings. On the left side full dog poop bags. Keeps them out of the inside. :lol:
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”