Winterizing the Water System

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dude

Winterizing the Water System

Post by Dude »

The temps in Pennsylvania (near Philly) are starting to hang out in the 30's all day and drop lower at night so I figured it was time to winterize. Plus I don't have any more trips planned until March :(

Here is a video of how I winterized my 1989 BF RSB. I have a hose that attaches to my waterpump to siphon out the RV antifreeze and put it throughout the RV water system. The RV antifreeze costs $3 at WalMart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJhwPkAMxJs
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
whemme

Post by whemme »

Matt,

I watched your winterization video with interest. I will add a couple of items of importance that you did not mention in the video. The toilet rinse hose and valve should also have antifreeze flowed thru it. All floor drains (4 in my coach) should be opened one at a time with the pump on until pink antifreeze flows out of each drain under the coach. And for those newer coaches that have an outside shower, that shower head should also be flowed both hot and cold valves until pink antifreeze flows. Doing these extra steps will require more than one gallon of antifreeze - about 1-1/2 gallons in my case.

Thanks for posting that video.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dude

Post by Dude »

You are right....I forgot the toilet rinse hose :oops: I guess I'll crack open my second bottle of RV antifreeze to take care of that.

I'll check my drain valves as well. I'll pop them open and see if pink drips out or water. I have a feeling the way my water lines are run I should have pink in there....but next year I'll pop them open as well with the antifreeze running.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Good video, do you put antifreeze in the freshwater tank?
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
Max our Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
2005 Gulfstream BT Cruiser (former BF owner)
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

Cathy wrote:Good video, do you put antifreeze in the freshwater tank?
Since in my '99 you can't completely drain the fresh water tank, that is not what you would want to do as you would never get all of it out and you would have the taste for a long time afterwards.

Just drain the fresh water tank as much as possible, there will be enough room and flexibility to handle any freezing of the residual water.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Thanks, Mike.
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
Max our Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
2005 Gulfstream BT Cruiser (former BF owner)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”