garmin street pilot 7200

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

hrgermany

garmin street pilot 7200

Post by hrgermany »

I have a Garmin street pilot 7200,but I dont like the the base mount.I am looking for a new mount.Any recommandations?

Hans Rueckert
1995 26 BF RSB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

What is it you don't like about the OEM mount? Hard to make a suggestion otherwise. :?

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

If it's the same as the one I tried (and returned), it has a mount that you have to drill screws into your dash .... Couldn't figure out a different installation so I didn't keep it...... :(
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I don't know anything about GPS base plates, but how about Velcro? I use it to mount my cell phone on the front of the dash and for several other purposes. Works for me.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

I went to the Garmin website and looked at the photos of the 7200. It looks like your unit might fit into the old bean bag type mount that many of us have for the Streetpilot 2600/2800 series. It just sat on the dash and you could easily move it to another vehicle. I use mine all the time that way as I take it in the toad when we're traveling on day trips away from the campsite so no worries about getting back to the campsite. Garmin has a great customer service staff. I suggest giving them a call and asking them if it would fit or going to a store and looking at a Streetpilot 2820 which uses the same case as the 2600 series and has a beanbag mount listed as an available accessory. If the mounting is the same on both units, then you might find the beanbag type on e-Bay or Craig's List or at an independent distributor like GPSnow.com. I checked the latter and they have them in stock for about $30 plus shipping.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

According to the 7200 manual, the unit comes with a stick-on base that attaches to the dash. What don't you like about that?

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
TLBlanchard

Post by TLBlanchard »

I two have the Garmin 7200, In my old rig I custom made a bracket from plywood which was painted black and blended with the dash, you would have never known that it was homemade.
Since I have gotten the BF, I have not figured out how to mount mine either, I would like to see anyones solution.
I have the beanbag from my older Streetpilot and might have to use it if I can't come up with anything better. I really want to have a fixed mount if possible.
Tom Blanchard
Bill Wright

Post by Bill Wright »

I have a Garman NUVI 660. It came with a suction cup mount and a plastic disk that attaches to the dash with a strong adhesive. It works fine. I had to move the disk a couple of times to get it located where I wanted it. I bought two more disks from Garman for my toad and second car. Garman's profit margin on these must be astronomical and got me to thinking about buying the stock, but the stock is already too high. The package of two disks costs $18 plus shipping.

I like the velcro idea. I should have thought of that myself.
norijake

Post by norijake »

Hans,

I've used Garmin products for many years (mostly boating). I found the best selection of mounts at www.gpscity.com (scroll to RAM mounts). I have used a numerous variety of the articulating RAM mounts that GPSCity offers for supporting everything from antennas to very heavy radar units and I can attest that they work even under extremely adverse g-load conditions, i.e. in heavy weather conditions at sea the mounts held the heavy radar units in a rock solid position. You might very well be able to piece together a mount you like using various interchangeable parts for your particular preferences. GPSCity may even have a dedicated mount for the G-7200.

At the present I'm using a G-2620 w/bean-bag mount sitting atop a rubber-like, non-skid pad designed for setting cell-phones upon and keeping them from sliding off the dashboard under transverse g's. I then figure-eight a loop of nylon tube-tie around the base of the GPS and a DC power supply for the XM radio and that holds the unit securely to the pad and eliminates the possibility of the GPS inadvertently becoming airborne due to the rather harsh suspension of the Motorhome-Upon-Wheels we drive - seems to work but isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing :) Were I not going to upgrade the GPS soon I'd affix the unit in a more permanent manner. Tied, as it is, to the pad though, it has withstood some rather sharp blows without moving at all.

Jake
2004 26' RB
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

We use a 7200 that we bought used but nearly new. It came with a bean bag mount that has a 7200 mount that locks onto the bean bag mount and locks onto the 7200, and has a 12V lighter plug coming off of the 7200 mount to power the unit. We leave the unit on the console and never had problems with it moving while traveling. Because you can pick it up, it makes it easy to program before starting to travel and easy to hide when parked.

I checked, but there are no part numbers on either item.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
TLBlanchard

Garmin Street Pilot 7200 Mounting

Post by TLBlanchard »

Well I finally got the 7200 mounted in the BF, The solution was simple, got the wife's brain involved.
We took a piece of composite decking board which is 1 1/4 in thick and cut it to fit very snuggly in the odd shaped cut out on the dog house over the engine. (On our 2007 this is the rear center opening, I have no Idea what it was for as their are already 4 cup holders there).
This was then painted black and drilled to accept the mounting screws from the locking base cup for the 7200, since these screws are very short and of an odd (metric?) size I decided to just drill the mounting board about 1/4 inch deep and fill the holes with epoxy, the short screws were left sticking out of the bottom of the mounting cup and stuck down in the epoxy. The mount is very sturdy and can be removed by pulling hard on the GPS cradle.
I wanted to be able to remove all signs of the GPS when parked or remove the unit for use in another vehicle. The position of the GPS while in use does not block any of the remaining cup holders.
Hope this will provide an idea for someone's use
Tom Blanchard

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”