2008 BFT Trip Results, and Heavier Sway Bar

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mquade

2008 BFT Trip Results, and Heavier Sway Bar

Post by mquade »

FYI, we just got back from a 4000 mile winter trip(combination ski and sight seeing trip) to Utah, Colorado, points inbetween, and back to Wisconsin, with a new 2008 BFT. First Impressions: drives well (on interstate and mountain passes), and everything worked the first time. More specifically, it handles best with air bags at 60lbs. or above( I drove with 80 lbs.). It appears well insulated as we had no problems with freezing temps(down to 6 degrees one night), and we used about 1/3 tank of LP. Furnace cycles on and off very little if you sleep at 50 degrees. Plenty of power with the V10. Averaged 9-10 mpg. Expect it to get a little better when engine broken in and warmer temps.

I could go on and on about all that we learned. However, for easier reading I'll stop here, and suggest if anyone has questions, just ask!

PS One issue-wind buffeting. Has anyone installed a heavier sway bar on their BF? If so, did it help. We can live with it, but I would like to improve handling(across states like Wyoming, Utah, Kansas, etc.).
Jon Pollei

Wind Buffeting

Post by Jon Pollei »

I had IPD Sway Bars front and rear and Billstein Shocks put on mine when new. It made all the differance in the world. I wouldn't have one without.
hrgermany

heavier swaybar

Post by hrgermany »

I replaced the front swaybar on my 1995 BF 26RSB with a heavier swaybar made by Hellwig I have a better control on my steering.I tried
to install a rear swaybay,but I could not do it because of the position the airbags.
I also installed aSafe-T-Plus steering control in the front

Hans Rueckert
26 BF 26'RSB
Bill Frank

Anti-sway bar

Post by Bill Frank »

I had a Roadmaster anti-sway bar installed on the rear of my 24" BF. I carry a small motorcycle off the rear bumper and along with the rack it adds an additional 400 lbs. This modification has greatly improved the handling, especially with cross winds and the passing of large trucks.
Don Cannistraro

"sway bar"

Post by Don Cannistraro »

I just ordered a Blue OX Tigertrak bar for my 2004 24RB.
I should have it installed by about this time next week. I'll let you all know how it works out.
The reasons I went this route were cost, ease of installation and it appears to solve my concern about 'tail-wag'. Cost was $515 including tax. If I had it installed it would be approx another $100.

doncann
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Ditto. Front and rear IPD (Now Roadmaster, they had just bought them when I got mine in early 06).. and Koni shocks.

What a difference. Like night and day. A must for high wind situations and mountains.

I *would* add a steering stabilizer or rather, I would not advise against it. I should had. But mostly, I'm thrilled with the heavier anti sway bars. Had them prof. installed at Quartzite.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I agree with Trisha, we also have the IPD (now roadmaster) sway bars front and rear, Koni shocks and the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer which definitely makes driving much easier not only in windy conditions but all the time.
Mel & Connie

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”