new tires

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I wonder who makes dsfriday's wheel covers? And how are the back duallys covered - recessed like the Dicors or flush with the outside of the wheel? Pics would help.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

I'm not smart enough to include pictures but tomorrow I'm getting RV from storage in preparation for weekend trip and while devel into black folder to see what it says regarding wheel covers on our BFT, but like I said, I just pry them off, front and back, with a big screw driver, chews the heck out of the wheel riim but, todate, haven't lost one on the highway. Anyway at some point I'm going to convert to Alcoa Aluminum Rims, I have those Tire Sentry devices on every tire and have to remove them to pull the wheel covers. To much hassel for me, like to keep it simple.
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

When I take our Born Free to a shop where the tires have to be removed (such as for brake work or new tires) I have always made it a practice to remove and re-install the (dicor) wheel covers myself using the special nut remover tool (with "T" handle) that came with the Born Free. I place them on a sheet of plastic inside the Born Free while the work is being done. A side benefit is that this allows you to check the lug nut torque if you wish to do so (this is highly advised). By following this procedure our wheel cover nuts have not been damaged (yet lol).
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Dennis, if you decide on the Alcoa wheels check out their Hotshot 5 spoke model. I have them on our coach and can actually get my hand through the larger oval openings making it a much simpler job of checking pressures or removing a valve cap or tire pressure monitor. The other factors are they are lighter, stronger and being milled from a block are true. Like everything else however, quality does come at a price.
Mel & Connie
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Mel, I'm already committed to the classic series as I have bought one already and carry one my trusty bicycle trailer as a spare. At the time, the data I read indicated the classic had a greater load rating. Don't know what to do now as I would like the advantage of the large openings on the Hot Shot to acess the Tire Sentry sensors.
SteveS

Alloy Wheels

Post by SteveS »

Thanks for the mention/suggestion for the alloy wheels. The wheel liners are driving me crazy and new wheels are next on my list of upgrades.

Steve
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

Actually the Dicor Versaliner wheel liners are a good product. A huge improvement over the wheel covers that came on the Jayco mini (on Ford chassis) that we owned back in the early 80's. Now those were a nightmare! The only problem is that you are required to remove and re-install them yourself unless you are willing to see them destroyed. I don't find it to be that difficult to remove and re-install them.
Jon Pollei

Post by Jon Pollei »

I have found that using a flat ended punch I can just tap the dippled spot and it will bend it back in enough to hold the nut on. I haven't lost any using this trick. :D
camai7

Tires & valve stems

Post by camai7 »

Not being an expert in this area, should I be concerned about the tires or valve stems which came standard with my 2009 Born Free?
Jim
bcope01

Re: Tires & valve stems

Post by bcope01 »

camai7 wrote:Not being an expert in this area, should I be concerned about the tires or valve stems which came standard with my 2009 Born Free?
In my humble opinion, you need not be concerned. I've had absolutely no problems with my 2003 chassis with the original tires and no modifications. I'm sure they are many hundreds of others with the same experience. Much of what you've read in this thread is what I call "polishing the apple." Lots of cost and effort to improve the appearance (shine) of the apple, but negligible (if any) improvement in taste. I say drive your Born Free and enjoy it. That's what we're doing.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I believe that Ford started using metal valve stems in 2008. Can any 2008 or 2009 owners verify that.
Mel & Connie
bill crommett

tires

Post by bill crommett »

Bill : You may be pretty close to right about polishing the apple, but my approach is that even a small delay waiting for road service could mean a whole new bunch of problems, not to mention the catastrophe that a flat tire could cause when going down a steep hil at 65 MPH, or on a raining night trying to get home with a sick wife.
Like any other insurance policy.
ddpjep

2008 E-450 Wheels

Post by ddpjep »

The wheels on my 2008 E-450 came with metal valve stems factory installed.

The following is the link to the wheel liners and valve extenders that I apparently have:

http://www.phoenixusa.com/view.phtml?ve ... L+PRODUCTS

These wheel liners look pretty much like the Dicor ones but they fit like car hub caps instead of being bolted on. The 2008 wheels have four big oval holes instead of eight round ones like the previous model years. (I am not talking about the eight holes for the lug nuts.) I have an older eight hole spare wheel and it fits on my front hubs. I didn't try it on the rear duals.

Dean
sutton

Post by sutton »

Would any of you happen to know the part number or description and where I can get a replacement lug nut for the rear wheels of my BornFree 2003 RB ....
I have lost the nut and the cover (parts B and C in the picture) on one of my rear tires.

Thanks
Angela
Angela Sutton ..... and the labradors and border collies :-)
2003 24RB
sutton

Post by sutton »

P.S. By picture, I mean Mel's picture, included posted to this forum topic

Tnx!
Angela Sutton ..... and the labradors and border collies :-)
2003 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”