new tires

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Mel, It is always nice to have a shop that understands your needs/expectations and will spend the time necessary to do the job right. From all I have heard, the Banks system is well made, improves performance and, after all, who can put a price on a good time :>) I think our passenger side airbag heat shield would have done fine, if it had not been bent over (apparently when installed). The result was a flap on the side closest to the bag too long to bend back out without removing the bag assembly :>( we improvised “for the momentâ€
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
John & Madonna Hoecke

Post by John & Madonna Hoecke »

ABC News had an interesting article about tire age at time of purchase. Here is a quick link to a photo to help you decode your tire's true age: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/popup?id= ... lse&page=3
Here is the link for the full article:
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4988518&page=1

It sure opened my eyes!

Madonna
whemme

DOT Tire Data Decoding

Post by whemme »

Attached as a .pdf file below is the info to decode the data including production date on a tire. Just click on the blue Download button below and to the right to open up and view this document.
Attachments
Picture 2.pdf
DOT Tire Data Decoding Info
(257.33 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Brent

Post by Brent »

Based on Bill's post - the tires I just put on the BF are already a year old. I don't know what is normal, but that seems excessive to me.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

The news media in general, and particularly ABC, NBC, CBS, in their pursuit of higher ratings, seem to be focusing more and more on frightening and stirring up the public. Hard for me to believe that a properly manufactured tire (with all of the correct rubber compounds utilized in the correct proportions and produced utilizing proper process controls) would deteriorate significantly if kept inside the typical tire store or warehouse and not exposed to excessive heat, direct sunlight, ozone, etc. I certainly would not worry about installing a "new" tire on any of my vehicles that was manufactured within a year or so of the date of installation and sold by a reputable tire store such as Sam's Club or Cosco. From all that I have read in the past, it would appear to be prudent to replace any tire, regardless of amount of tread or mileage, within 7 years from the date it was first put into service. I note that some are now saying 5 years, but I wonder if this has been formented by the tire folks to sell more tires.
Brent

Post by Brent »

OK Bob, based on what you are saying maybe the tires being a year old is not a big deal - thanks.
Ruby2

Post by Ruby2 »

Just did the search on TIRES and got this file. Only item is that the DOT Manufacture Date is important is what I do take exception to on the post. My understanding is that a Tire Retailer can not sell a tire that was manufactured more than 4 years before. So one can be ON SALE tires and you think they are NEW but they are already up to 4 years old.

So Watch out for SALES and GREAT PRICES...I always ask for a DOT date of less than 7 months old. Many dealers do NOT want to show you that date and that is why they seem to put them on the inside and hard to read. Seems manufacturer should have to put on both sides walls.

My present question is Michelin worth the $220 price vs. a Goodyear Tracker II from WalMart at $115 each. Tracker II is a 10 ply E rated 225-75-16. My unit now has Michelin M/S and checking on side and in tread. Not sure age of tires as duals are hard to read without taking them off.

Unit has 35000 miles on it.
RVN4US

Post by RVN4US »

Gary

My knowledge of tires is limited, however our coach has Michelin XPS and a 35' Holiday Rambler B4 had the same, however for $105.00 per tire I may check out Goodyears at the time I need new tires. Michelin tires seem to be pretty popular here on this forum. Good luck on your choice.
hrgermany

new tires

Post by hrgermany »

I use Goodyear tires G647 RSS LT/75 R16 on my 1995 BF 26 FT RSB.The
tires are (E) rated and cost @ 180-200 Dollars each.

Good tires are important,I learned that the hard way,when a rear tire blow
out and took a lot of plumbing with it.I thought the tires were good for one
more trip.

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26FT RSB
whemme

Post by whemme »

I did a little research on the internet on various brands of tires available in size LT225/75R16 Load Range E, the tire size used on most of our Born Free coaches built on the Ford E350/E450 chassis.

Tire prices were obtained from Tire Rack's internet site and should be used as a guide to compare the relative price between various brands and models of tires.

Please note the the Michelin XPS Rib and Goodyear G647 RSS tires are heavy duty commercial grade tires with steel belts in the construction of the sidewalls. These tires are intended for use where abuse of tires such as repeated rubbing against street curbs is expected. These tires are relatively heavy and expensive. I don't have experience with either one but have have seen comments from those using Michelin XPS Rib tires that the ride can be more harsh because of the stiffer sidewalls and extra tire weight. There is no doubt however that the XPS Rib is a rugged tire choice with a price to match.

Ford originally supplied their E350/E450 chassis to the RV manufacturers with Firestone Steeltex tires. That tire has now been replaced with the very similar Firestone Transforce HT tire. Sometime around model years 2004 or 2005, Ford started supplying their chassis with the Michelin LTX M/S tire after Ford's bad experience with a different Firestone tire installed on their Explorer SUV.

My experience with Firestone has been good as both my previous 1999 BF 24' RB and current 2002 BF 26' RSB coaches were equipped with the Steeltex tires and I never experienced a blown or damaged tire. I also happen to work part time for our local Regional Transit Authority and they have approximately 50 small regional buses built on the same Ford E350/E450 chassis. So this RTA has had a lot of experience with tires over the years and currently use Firestone Transforce HT tires on these buses.

But as they say, your experience may vary!
Attachments
Chart below for Tire Size LT225/75R16 Load Range E Tires
Chart below for Tire Size LT225/75R16 Load Range E Tires
Born Free Tire Selector Info .jpg (72.14 KiB) Viewed 15994 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I just replaced my Firestone Steeltex tires purchased in 2004 with 6 new Firestone Transforce HT tires. The Steeltex had 44,766 miles and still had enough tread that I could have safely put at a minimum another 3-5,000 miles on them. The Transforce were $148 each mounted and balanced. I paid an additional $100.92 in taxes and environmental and disposal fees for a total of $988.92. I priced Michelins and decided that the price differential was not worth it. I have also read in CONSUMER REPORTS evaluations that in many instances Michelins for passenger car or truck use are no more highly rated than other brands. I bought my tires from a local dealer who moves a lot of tires. The manufacture date of mine was the 42nd week of 2008. I bought my new tires December 15th which is approximately the 50th week of the year so my new tires are now about 10 weeks old.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Brent

Post by Brent »

I had a steeltex tire's tread peel off while on the road - due to age of tire in my opinion more then tire defect, but in any case a bad experience and one I don't want to repeat.

They were replaced with a Bridgestone, which made a steel sidewall tire similar to the XPS. A firmer ride and a good tire, but they no longer make it.

When the Bridgestones had several years on them I put on a set of XPS - since my unit is GVW of 14M+# and loaded I'm only 12M+# the ride is firm anyway, but with the XPS it was not usable for me - very harsh (in my opinion). However on a heaver vehicle it should work well.

I pulled off the XPS and put on the regular LTX Michelins. Great ride!!
Last edited by Brent on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruby2

Post by Ruby2 »

:D Thanks Dallas. I will take another look at Firestone and the Goodyear and decide IF I really want to spend $200+ for Michelin tires.
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

IMO Michelins (like some foreign cars) are generally over rated and over priced. I am coming up on needing new tires to replace my Firestones due to age (still plenty of tread left, but coming up on 6 years old). I got over 50k miles out of them and they cost a lot less than Michelins. Jimmy you got a great deal on the Firestone Transforce as I was quoted $165.95 each the other day at our local tire dealer for the tire alone (not including tax, mounting, road hazard warranty, etc). Still shopping. Do any Sam's Clubs have the facilities to install tires on Born Free? The local Sam's Clubs won't do it and there are no Costco's nearby as we live in "Wal-Mart Country". I will be purchasing the Borg extenders for the rear duals and having them installed with the new tires.
sutton

Post by sutton »

Last weekend before heading out on a trip, I noticed a flat inner right tire on my 24 RB -- The tire repair person that came out said that it was caused by the valve stem being broken and that he sees that happen "all the time" -- they shake and break when you are driving. He fixed it. He recommend we get metal stems.

What's your experience been with this? Do you use all metal stems on all 4 rear tires? It sounds like a good plan to me.

Thanks
Angela
Angela Sutton ..... and the labradors and border collies :-)
2003 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”