Another leak question

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

harrisgowing

Another leak question

Post by harrisgowing »

We have developed an odd leak on our 26' RSB. It is under the sofa, concentrated in the middle of the back of the storage area. Sometimes it is wet all of the way from the middle to the wall with the sink. Other times, it is mostly just wet in the middle. Right now it is dry, in spite of the fact that we were in Key West in a few really spectacular storms! The air conditioner has been running but for the last 3 days, dripping down the right side of the coach. Any ideas? Sounds like a trip to Iowa to me. Thanks!

Judy Harris
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Robert D. Grant

Water Leak Under Sofa

Post by Robert D. Grant »

We have the same problem with ours and have talked with other Born Free owners who also have this problem. We are new to this site and do not yet know how to reseach an item like this which has surely been discussed on this forum in the past. The carpet at the door opening gets wet every time it rains. Tried adjusting latches (to tighten door engagement to seal) with no success. It might be leaking right through the door as when we open the door, lots of water drains out of the door from around the latches. You mention other leaks. We have had many!
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I had a similiar leak, which was fixed at the factory. Not sure what they did, adjust the door, or replace the gasket around the frame, but it has been dry since.

I also asked them to remove the carpet from under the sofa, so if it did leak it would be easier to see, and a lot easier to dry. I would recommend that to all.

John
Robert D. Grant

Water Leak

Check "Strange Water Leaks" on page 6 for a good summary of water leak problems. As I suspected, it sounds like the door needs to be sealed to fix this particular (under sofa) leak. We also had major issues with the "front corner" leaks (where all the seams come together) as well as the overhead cab window. We keep a sheet of plastic under the window on top of the cab-over bed and mop up water after every hard rain. This persists despite trips to several RV facilities including Born Free. Water is the worst enemy of a motor home. Ours has water stains all around the baseboards (good bye resale value!).
Robert D. Grant

Water Leak

Duplicate post of above was deleted by the bfadmin. The typical cause of most duplicate posts is that the submitter clicked the Submit button more than once!
ddpjep

Coach Water Leak

Post by ddpjep »

A lot of different water leaks have been described in various places on this forum, but there is one that I have not seen mentioned. When I sold my 1998 23RK to a friend I thought that I had fixed all problems. However, the carpet under the passenger side sofa kept getting soaked. My friend eventually found a one-inch gap in the siding where the awning had been attached. This was above the forward area of the awning. Repairing this gap fixed the leak.

Dean sends.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”