Tire Stem Failures

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Robert D. Grant

Tire Stem Failures

Post by Robert D. Grant »

Definitely anyone new to Born Free or this forum should read "Tire Stem Failures" on page 6. We had a failure along the Blue Ridge Parkway a few years ago. Luckily we were parked for lunch when we heard a loud "whoosh". It was an inner rear dual. We were in a remote location and it took us about 4 hours to get service and on the road again. As soon as I got home I had steel stems installed. It is unbelievable that Ford does not make these standard equipment on E-350 and up!
ddpjep

Metal Tire Valve Stems

Post by ddpjep »

Ford Motor Company must have finally gotten the right idea! My 2008 Econoline E450 chassis came from the Ford factory with metal valve stems.

Incidentally, the wheel rims now seem to be thicker, and they have four holes instead of eight. My old eight-hole spare tire rim still fits on the front hub, though. The new stainless steel wheel liners are no longer held on with bolts. They pinch on like a lot of car hub caps.

Dean sends.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”