Onan Generator Question

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BornFree_n_Now

Onan Generator Question

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

On the road in beautiful Winnemucca NV, and a generator question came up ~~when checking the oil in a Onan 4KW unit, do you check with filler plug screwed in, or sitting on top, not being screwed in? Our product info does not seem to specify, although, as I recall, our previous smaller Onan unit required that the measurement be taken without the plug being screwed in. Thanks, in advance, for any and all advice.
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I found that just sitting on top did not give me any problems(leaks or blowby).On my lawn mower I have to screw it in or else it leak . :?:
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

To clarify my question ~~ I do not check the oil level while the unit is running, but when I do check it with the unit not running, is the plug supposed to be screwed in to take the measurement, or sitting on top of the plug hole to take the measurement?
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Mel Wilbur

Onan Generator

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I always check ours with the plug/dipstick screwed in. If you want confirmation, the next time you change the oil, put in the proper amount per your owners manual, then run the unit a few minutes making sure the oil filter is full and check the level.
Mel & Connie
Bill Ruh

Onan Generator

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Larry and Sharon,

The manual for our 1991 onan emerald (bge spec h) explicitly says to screw the dipstick in all the way to check the level.

IIRC, the onan microlite 2800 should be checked with the dipstick unscrewed.

I'd guess your 4k onan is like our 4k onan and you screw the dipstick in, but look in your manual to be sure.
Randy Wilson

Post by Randy Wilson »

The following answer to your question is taken directly from the Onan web page at:

http://www.onan.com/onan/askOnan/askOna ... arketId=41

"When I'm checking my oil, does the dipstick need to be screwed in all the way?
In order to get the correct oil level reading, the dipstick must be screwed in completely on all models with a screw-type dipstick, except for the 2800 and 2500 MicroLite and Camp Power models; it sits on top of the fill tube. Make sure the vehicle is level when checking oil level
."
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Randy Wilson wrote:The following answer to your question is taken directly from the Onan web page at:

http://www.onan.com/onan/askOnan/askOna ... arketId=41

"When I'm checking my oil, does the dipstick need to be screwed in all the way?
In order to get the correct oil level reading, the dipstick must be screwed in completely on all models with a screw-type dipstick, except for the 2800 and 2500 MicroLite and Camp Power models; it sits on top of the fill tube. Make sure the vehicle is level when checking oil level
."
Thank you, and I was just going to post that I had found the same site and information you referenced ~~ as it happens, our last generator was a 2.8 MicroLite, and hence the confusion, and question ~~ we were able to get a campground WiFi connection established after we posted our initial question, and were then able to “surfâ€
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”