Sensitive Smoke Alarm

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

gdcole

Sensitive Smoke Alarm

Post by gdcole »

Hello!

On Sept 21st my husband & I purchased a 2005 26RB that was in stock at the Born Free lot in Florida with plans to retire & full time it next spring. Well, we had our trial run a little earlier than planned since we used our BF to evacuate from Hurricane Wilma and also live in it appx. 1 week after until power & water restored to our home in Naples. This was the most comfortable we had even been after a major storm and we were most grateful to have not only power in the BF but hot showers to boot!

Question is this: Has any one else found that the smoke detector is very sensitive. We used the micro vent fan, the Fantastic Fan blowing in and blowing out, and even opened windows & screen door but nothing seemed to help. Cooking (not burning) a meal was a 2 person job because one of us had to be available to "fan" the smoke detector that kept going off. Our solution at this point is make a cover that we can velcro over the detector while cooking and hope that we remember to remove it. If anyone else has a better solution, we would love to hear from you.

Proud to be Born Free owner,

Gail & Bob Coleman
2005 26RB
Bill Ruh

Sensitive Smoke Alarm

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Gail and Bob,

We also had false positives with an ionization smoke detector and switched to a photoelectric smoke detector and no more false positives. We bought a Kidde PE9 two years ago from www.smokesign.com . It's 5" in diameter and uses a 9-volt battery, more info and stores that sell it at www.kiddeus.com .

I wish you many years of enjoyment in your born free.
Mel Wilbur

smoke alarm

Post by Mel Wilbur »

You may consider contacting the manufacturer of the alarm and explaining your problem. It is possible that yours is overly sensitive and they may have a fix for the unit. I have found that most all of the suppliers of products for our coaches are most helpful when contacted. Best of luck with your new Born Free.
Mel & Connie
gdcole

Post by gdcole »

Thanks for the tips. We called the Kidde Safety consumer helpline today to discuss our problem with the smoke detector. Rep was friendly & helpful, as you said, Mel. Our Model #0914 is designed to detect particles as well as smoke in the air. Because it is installed so close to our cooking area, it would sense and be set off by our bacon on the stove and English muffin in toaster. They suggest either changing the existing detector to a Model #0916 with a silence button or the model you suggested, Bill.

Gail & Bob Coleman
2005 26RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”