24' RB vs 27' RB

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

golferdhm

Post by golferdhm »

Thanks for all your comments. We finally decided on the 27'RB. We are taking one they have on the lot in Humboldt and will be picking it up sometime next month.

Any of you have a satellite antenna on top of your coach? If so, which one and how does it look? Still considering that option.
golferdhm

Post by golferdhm »

Great minds think alike. I have ordered the rear view camera. I had intended to get the satellite dish and inverter. The two together cost almost $4000, and we are going to see if we can get along without them. I think we can get a rain check that they will put it in a satellite dish a little later for the price they quoted us if we find we want it.

We don't feel we really need the full coach inverter. With only two coach batteries, we would run out of power quickly if we ran very much. If we need toast or coffee or to use the microwave, we will just turn on the generator until we are done. The main thing we really wanted the inverter for was to power our satellite receiver, so if we do get a satellite dish, we will probably just get a single unit plug-in inverter for use with the receiver. It will plug into a 12v outlet near the TV (which is a 12 TV).

We had a CB in our Mandalay, but hardly ever used it. If we go on a caravan or the like where we need one, we will probably just get a portable.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Don, I just upgraded the fresh water pump in my BFT to a variable speed SHURflo Extreme Series Smart Sensor 5.7 gpm pump. Huge, huge difference over the OEM 2.0 gpm pump. If your new coach doesn't already come with a pump such as this and you plan to take showers in the coach using the onboard water supply, you might want to have the factory upgrade the water pump before you pick it up.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

golferdhm wrote:The main thing we really wanted the inverter for was to power our satellite receiver, so if we do get a satellite dish, we will probably just get a single unit plug-in inverter for use with the receiver. It will plug into a 12v outlet near the TV (which is a 12 TV).
I just went through this with my rig and the outlet on the Winegard antenna switch is only rated at 8 amps which comes to 96 watts. I ended up installing an aftermarket 12v outlet next to the antenna switch as the wiring to the switch was ok but the switch/outlet is what is rated low. You can go to the Winegard website and see the spec sheet on the switch.
golferdhm

Post by golferdhm »

You guys are very helpful. Thanks for the suggestions. I just sent them an email asking about the water pump and the 12v outlet. We had already decided on the electric incline sofa bed with the raisable head, and I made sure to ask them to put it in so that we could watch the TV with the head raised. Also, we are not big fans of leather furniture, so we ordered all of our furniture with the Froth cover. I'll consider the shims after we have used it a while.

Any of you going to any of the Leap'n Lions rallies that are coming up? Is there one we shouldn't miss?
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I had a window awning installed over the couch (drivers side) window. They also offered one that was long enough to cover the kitchen window also. We find we use that awning more than the patio awning. Keeps the sun out, and we can leave the window open in the rain. Also don't have to worry about it being out in the wind, etc. when we are away from the coach.

Talking about the high output pumps, I'm assuming you will run out of water faster when using it. When dry camping, that might be a consideration.

John
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

jobrien wrote:Talking about the high output pumps, I'm assuming you will run out of water faster when using it. When dry camping, that might be a consideration.
John, I've heard this argument before and I don't believe it holds water (no pun intended :D ). Doesn't it make sense that one can control the amount of water one uses with the valve controls at the faucet, regardless of the water flow and pressure? In fact, one might make the argument that less water is required if the flow is steady and adequate (e.g., when washing soap from hair). Besides, most faucets and shower heads sold today have flow restrictors installed limiting the flow to ~2.0 gpm (I remove mine, if possible :wink:). The larger pump just guarantees that the flow will be maximized and steady, regardless of the number of faucets being used at the same time.

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Bill;

You are probably right.

For me I can wash the soap out of my hair with a cupful of water with no pressure at all :lol:

However, knowing my wife, if the pressure was there and the water was available she would use it all :roll:

John
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

jobrien wrote:For me I can wash the soap out of my hair with a cupful of water with no pressure at all :lol:
Yeah, maybe a bad example, as I probably have more hair on my back than I do on the top of my head. :cry:

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Hi Don, As for a LL rally not to be missed, you cannot go wrong attending any of our rallies. If you would like something really different I understand there may be an opening for the Rocky Mountain High adventure in Breckenridge, CO. However, you really do not want to miss our 3rd national rally next year in Fort Dodge, Iowa. Best of luck with your new coach.
Mel & Connie
J McGrew

24' RB vs 27' RB

Post by J McGrew »

Don - we have a 24RB since Sep 03. Will be taking delivery on an 08 24RB in July. Others have talked about parking, weight, etc. We have been on 3 long trips (3-5 months each) in the last 18 months including 2 1/2 months from Texas to Panama and return. We carried lots of extras on that trip and still found room for everything. We have had 3 6-10 K mile trips without the toad. Also have made several with the toad (Subaru Baja). We looked hard at the 27RB but as some of the others have indicated it takes more room to park and has less CCC.

John

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”