Converter for Digital TV

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Converter for Digital TV

Post by Dallas Baillio »

As most of you know after next Feb 17th all high power television stations (translator and low power stations are not required to make the change over yet) will begin transmitting digitally only. This means that your analog TV will not receive these signals unless you obtain a converter. The feds are offering coupons for a $40 discount on these converters. I've been looking into obtaining a converter and have discovered that all require a 110 volt connection to work. This means that if you have an AC/DC TV and want to operate it on 12 volt you'll need a 110 volt connection (or an inverter connection) for the converter. Any suggestions as to how one might hook this up keeping in mind the limited capacity of the 12 volt TV outlet. Could I hook an inverter to this outlet and operate both the TV and the converter? My objective is to operate my TV on battery power only. I know I can make it work by using 110 volt for the TV and the converter and using either shore power or the genterator. If I have not made myself clear please ask anything you need to know.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
rv4fun

Post by rv4fun »

Dallas.. I'd guess that the convertor uses very little power. I might be mistaken so you might want to check it out for yourself. I currently run my 19 inch LCD TV/Disk Player and my 30 Watt sound system from a DC to AC inverter. I plug the DC to AC inverter into the 12 volt DC outlet next to the television. It works fine and isn't drawing more power than the circuit can handle. So, it might be possible for you to run both your TV and a low power analog to digital convertor box from an inexpensive DC/AC inverter plugged into a 12 volt outlet in your Born Free. It might not cost you much to try it out, since you can generally get your money back if it doesn't work. If you have to buy an expensive inverter or have one installed then it might be more cost effective to buy a new digital TV that runs on 12 volts DC.. Larry
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

Here is a link to an Excel spreadsheet that lists selected specs on many of the converter boxes. It was posted on another forum I found while researching the topic. Use it at your own risk however it does show some 12vdc models. It is a starting point in your research. There are some boxes being sold that are not eligible for the rebate program, like the Winegard one at Camping World, so you might want to visit the second website to check if the model you want is approved for the rebate program. Personally, I decided to go with the RCA model from WalMart as I need a small inverter for the sat receiver anywayand won't be using both at the same time. It has both an RF input and output so it can be hooked up easily. Now all I need is for the coupon to arrive....

http://octopus.freeyellow.com/CECB_list_wip.xls

https://www.ntiadtv.gov/cecb_list.cfm
whemme

Post by whemme »

Here is the URL link for the government program offering $40 coupons towards the cost of buying these digital to analog TV converters: http://DTV2009.gov

Below is a current list of the digital to analog TV converters listed on that website that are approved by the government to use the $40 coupons towards their purchase. There is no shortage of choices with the list containing 82 choices.

ALPHA DIGITAL AT2016*
AMTC AT-2016
APEX DT150
APEX DT250*
AVION ATB 7707
AccessHD DTA1010U
AccessHD DTA1010D
AccessHD DTA1020D
AccessHD DTA1020U
Apex DT1002
Apex DT1001
Artec T3A
Artec T3APro
CADENCE DTVC-9
CASTi CAX-02*
CASTi CAX-01
COSHIP N9988T
COSHIP N9900T
Channel Master CM-7000
Clear Tech CTDCB100
DAYTEK CAX-01
DENCA TBX1005A
DENCA NL8119
DENCA NL8118
DIGITAL STREAM D2A1D20
DIGITAL STREAM DTX9900
DIGITAL STREAM DSP6500R
DIGITAL STREAM DSP7500T
DIGITAL STREAM DSP7700T*
DIGITAL STREAM DX8700*
DIGITAL STREAM D2A1D10
DIGITAL STREAM DTX9950*
DISH Network DTVPal*
Daewoo DAC-100
ECHOSTAR TR-40*
Fuyai ATSC 630
GE 22729
GE 22730
Goodmind DTA1000
Goodmind DTA900
Goodmind DTA980
Gridlink GLT-200
Gridlink GLT-300
Insignia NS-DXA1
Jiuzhou DTT9001*
Jiuzhou DTT6000
Kingbox K8V8
Kingbox K8V1
Lasonic LTR-260
Lasonic LTA-260
MAG CCB7707
Magnavox TB100MW9
Magnavox TB-100MG9*
MaxMedia MMDTVB03
MicroGEM MG2000
Microprose MPI-500
Mustek MAT-K50
OLEVIA DTA100
Philco TB150HH9*
Philco TB100HH9*
RCA DTA 800A
RCA DTA 800B
RCA DTA800B1*
SVA DAC100
Sansonic FT300A
Sansonic FT300RT
Skardin DTR-0727
Synergy Global Supply SYN2009
TATUNG TDB3000
TATUNG TDB3001 *
Tivax STB-T9
Tunbow Electronics E60010
VENTURER STB7766G
Venturer STB7766G1*
WINEGARD RC-DT09
Zenith DTT900
Zentech DF2000
ZINWELL ZAT-856
Zinwell ZAT-857
Zinwell ZAT-756A
ZINWELL ZAT-970
jWIN Electronic Corp JD-TV1000

However, only 15 of the units above identified with an asterisk offer the important feature called 'analog pass-thru'. This feature in my mind is important for a TV used in an RV. It allows you to just turn the converter off and the converter will then automatically connect the TV antenna input RF connector on the box to the TV antenna output RF connector. So if you are watching a digital TV station with the converter ON and you decide you want to watch an analog TV station, all you need to do is turn the converter OFF and then tune the TV to the desired analog TV channel. If your converter does not have this feature, then you would need to install a separate TV A/B antenna selector switch so you can reroute your TV antenna signal around the converter directly into the antenna input RV connector on your TV - kind of a real hassle.

Not all of the converters listed above are available on the market yet. I purchased a Winegard RC-1010 converter from Camping World last year and it is a model not covered by the $40 coupon program and also does not have the 'analog pass-thru' feature.

I have an analog tuner Samsung 20" LCD TV in my Born Free so I needed a converter to receive digital TV stations and my experience so far is that digital TV station reception range is vastly superior to analog TV station reception but it is different in that the reception of a digital TV station is either perfect (no noise and no snow) or you don't receive it at all - you just get a blank screen if the signal is too weak.

I power my 20" TV, my Sanyo VCR/DVD player, and my Winegard RC-1010 converter using a 300-watt inverter plugged into the +12 VDC cigarette power socket located next to the TV in my cabover entertainment center. You should use an inverter that has a rated wattage of at least twice what your total load on it will be. My TV draws 45 watts, the VCR/DVD player 25 watts, and the Winegard converter about 20 watts for a total load of 90 watts. You need the extra wattage rating on your inverter because TV's generally have a high startup load. If your inverter does not have sufficient power to handle this initial startup load it will shut down and not work. My 90 watt draw means that the DC current being drawn by my inverter to generate that 120 VAC power will be approximately 8 amps which is just within the rating for the +12 VDC cigarette power socket.

I also recommend the use of a pure sine wave type inverter rather than the less expensive modified sine wave type of inverter. Even though the modified sine wave type inverters work good in some applications, inherent in their design is the fact that their output waveform is a variable duty cycle square wave rich in harmonics. These harmonics can potentially cause interference with any type of radio receivers including TV receivers. The pure sine wave type of inverter puts out the same AC waveform as the power company supplies to your home and to industry - the vary type of waveform that your 120 VAC appliances were designed for.

The inverter I have used for over two years is the Samlex Model PST-30S-12A, a 300 watt pure sine wave inverter. It currently is available from online retailer DonRowe.com for only $139.00 including shipping. The direct link website address is: http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/puresine_300.html
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

The coupons the feds issue are good for 90 days. I have two now that expire July 9th (Evidently they issued them April 10th but I did not receive them through the mail until April 25th or so. In shopping locally, Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart and Radio Shack have one choice each. No selection to speak of and no pass-through capable ones. I purchased one from Circuit City (a Zenith that Consumer Reports evaluated). It does not have pass through capability but I'll be using it at home with my outside antenna that I have put up to give me TV access to local channels if the satellite goes out just before a hurricane. I know I could have ordered online, but I wanted to see for myself what I was getting. So here is my advice -- Wait until later in the year to apply for a coupon. I expect the selection will be better then.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

Dallas Baillio wrote:The coupons the feds issue are good for 90 days. I have two now that expire July 9th ...........So here is my advice -- Wait until later in the year to apply for a coupon. I expect the selection will be better then.
It is possible to apply for one coupon at a time. Since they are only good for 90 days and there is quite a lead time now between ordering and coupon delivery and it is only going to get worse and ultimately the program has a financial cap, I decided to order one last month and wait on the second, ordering it only if the first unit is unsat. I don't need one for the home, only the RV. JMHO
Covfam

Post by Covfam »

Does anyone know if the newer LCD televisions that Born Free puts in their 07 & 08's are Digital? Hunny and I were planning to replace the TV thats in our '01 with one of the newer LCD TV/DVD combinations thats in the newer Born Free's and have the factory install it. But if not then we shall find an aftermarket combo TV (we only use the television to watch dvd's at night or check the weather early in the morning where we are at)
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

I know that this has been discussed before but now I am confused. If you have a digital tv in the Born Free will you be able to receive reception without a converter with a 2 year old winegard antenna? We also have Directv so I know that will work but do we need a converter to use the antenna? I didn't think so and have ignored the whole converter issue. Also, we only have access to satellite at home and have Directv. We use this nifty wireless device to watch satellite on other tvs in the house that do not have satellite receiver boxes. Does anyone know if this will still work on an analog set without a converter after the change next February? Thanks!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Duplicate post of above was deleted by the bfadmin. The typical cause of most duplicate posts is that the submitter clicked the Submit button more than once!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
whemme

Post by whemme »

Chuck and Judy Harris,

If your TV in your Born Free is already equipped with a digital station tuner, it will work just fine with your existing Wingard 'Batwing' TV antenna. And you will not need to use one of the DTV converter boxes. That is the same antenna that I have on my Born Free to receive digital TV stations although I am using a DTV converter because my 20" Samsung LCD TV has only the analog station tuner in it.

Your question; We use this nifty wireless device to watch satellite on other tvs in the house that do not have satellite receiver boxes. Does anyone know if this will still work on an analog set without a converter after the change next February? I am not sure what your nifty wireless device is but evidently it is used to operate multiple TVs from your single satellite receiver. Reception of TV stations via satellite will not be affected by the shut down of analog TV station transmitters in February 2009 so whatever you are using there should still work fine. Where a DTV converter is needed is only when you have an analog tuner only equipped TV receiving TV stations signal via a TV antenna. If such a TV is receiving its signals from either a cable system or via a satellite system - you won't need a DTV converter.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Thanks, Bill. I was confident that you would know the answer to my questions!! This forum is a never ending source of valuable information. The various threads on tires probably just saved us from a disaster. We just got 6 new tires while having other work done at the Ford dealer. We told them to replace with the same Michelins that were the original tires. We picked up the BF just as the service area was closing and drove it home with the new tires. The next morning I was looking for the manufacture date on the tires and of course couldn't find it since it is on the inside of the tire. While looking more closely at the tires I noticed that the load limits did not add up to enough weight for our 26' RSB. I called Kim to check and sure enough, the dealer had installed series D tires instead of series E, which have a higher load limit. They are replacing the tires this week with the correct ones. The point is that we are not very techincal and would never, ever have noticed this mistake without all of the tire information on this forum. Pretty scary. I have never checked new tires in my life before, but sure will now. So, a very heartfelt thanks to you one and all!

Judy Harris
Chuck and Judy Harris
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

As all of this TV converter stuff has just passed right over my head... :( mostly because at home I have cable, so don't have to worry. But in my BF ('99) my Panasonic Must be analog only. As I'm thinking I have time yet to attack the coverter box (till Feb. anyway)...a question for the time being....If I'm at a RV park & hooked up to their cable...will I still need a box ???? (I'm hesitating on ordering one till later because I'm contemplating removing the present TV & cabinet facing & buying a new digital TV flat screen & having a cabinet made, etc.,etc.) Anyhow, any simply stated yes or no would be appreciated.... :wink: (As you can tell I'm seriously technically challenged)..... 8)
whemme

Post by whemme »

Charlotte,

The situation at your home with cable TV service would be no different than cable TV service to your Born Free in a RV park. Your present analog TV will work OK. However, if you want to receive TV stations via your TV antenna on your Born Free after February 2009, you will then need one of these DTV converters. If you are thinking of replacing your TV in your Born Free with a newer flat screen LCD TV with the digital tuner feature, just do it before Feb 2009 and you will be OK and would not need to buy a DTV converter. However, I would probably recommend you select a new TV equipped with both a the new digital tuner and the older analog tuner.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Just luv ya Bill....(I don't think Marilyn will mind :P )...You answered me with 'words' I understood....I just haven't made up my mind on the TV replacement thing...we're talking lots of $$$$ when you add in the cabinet & installation costs, as I certainly couldn't do it myself....I don't think....anyhow, with the cost of gas out here in Sunny CA :roll: , regular is over $4 per gal. I'm just watching my budget till I can figure out how & what I'm going to be able to do... :(

Anyhow, appreciate your response.... 8)
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

OK, I'm a little confused here.......

If all high power transmissions are supposed to be digital after Feb 2009 and translator (whatever they may be) and low power stations will eventually go to digital (right?), why worry about "analog pass thru". After a certain date, I assume, it will be a mute point. I'm thinking the more important issue here is the ability to run on 12v (only) as per the first post.

I ordered the Artec T3A Pro for that reason. The 12v adapter that comes with the converter needs a 120 vac supply, which for my purposes does not work. What I propose, is make up a cable that will plug into the "cigarette lighter type" 12v supply in the RV and attach the correct connector for the 12v into the box to the other end of the cable. I assume this will work??????

I'll try and keep you updated on my progress. May be awhile though as we are remodeling the house kitchen, what a nightmare!!!!!!
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”