Refrigerator "No LP" Reading

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

whemme

Post by whemme »

Well in my 2002 Born Free 26' RSB coach, there is a green light in the LP gas detector when it is powered. When I shut off my house batteries disconnect switch, that green light goes out. Look to see if you have a similar light on your LP gas detector.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

This has been most confusing. If I understand it correctly, Barb and Ken don't currently own a BF so what they posted doesn't apply to us? I have a suggestion that everyone post the make and model of their current motor home as a courtesy to others (as is currently the custom and practice on other forums such as Country Coach and Foretravel).
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Sorry for any confusion. I shared our refrigerator experience only as a possible reason for your problem. Since I am not a tech expert, I don't know if all LP detectors are the same. But whenever we turned off our BF batteries, nothing worked.
Barbara & Ken
Robert D. Grant

Barbara and Ken,

Thanks for your response.

How did you "accidentally turn off your LP detector"? We want to make sure we don't do the same.

By the way, isn't it a good idea to identify your coach when you post?

Bob and Della
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

The LP detector in our MH is right under the refrigerator and only an inch or so from the floor. I think it happened when I was vacuuming the floor at the base of the refrigerator, and the vacuum head pushed the detector switch was pushed to the off position. From this, you might get the idea that I'm Mrs. Good Housekeeping. NOT!! If I were, I probably would have known to check the LP detector switch after vacuuming that floor area. Next time I vacuum the floor at the base of the refrigerator area, I'll certainly check that switch. But who knows when that miracle may happen again. :oops:
Barbara & Ken
Robert D. Grant

Barb,

With some experience in the automotive industry and from participating in DFMEA and PFMEA (design and process failure mode effects analysis) activities , I can state unequivically (I know that is mispelled lol) that locating a gas detector swith in a location like that borders on criminality and should be brought to the attention of Country Coach Management. A safety recall is definitely in order.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Interestingly, I am having a related problem today with my Dometic Refrig in my 07 BF 14 RB. I have the Rv in my driveway, which is on a slight slant, and am plugged in to 30 amps. I turned on the refrig 5 hours ago, and can hear it running, but no evidence of true cooling inside. Checking the outside port to look at works, the pipe is red hot. I have the coach batteries turned on, in case it needs to go to LP, but am trying to run on electricity, and think that is what is running it. Any ideas? The refrig on top says it is 60 ( I assume degrees), since I live in Florida and it is 80 degrees outside and sunny. I have never had any luck running on LP in the driveway, unless I had been out camping and already using the refrig, which had automatically changed to LP while traveling. It always cools when I start on the road. Could the slant be the problem? It will always run indefinitely when I come off the roan with it running. Surely hope someone has some ideas. Thanks,
Mary Ann
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

It could very well be the slope of the driveway. I would turn it off ASAP and park in a level spot, or drive it around for a while to get things circulating. Damage can be done to the frig.

My drieway has a slight slope also. If I pull head in, the frig works fine. One time, in getting ready for a trip, I backed in so I could easily load 2 bikes on the back. Left it that way overnight and in the morning I put the frig on, and several hours later, it was not cold.

I checked all that I could, and after driving a while it was working normal again. Never turned it on again when it is backed into the driveway. In my instance, it works ok with the beack of the motorhome lower than the front.

Johnb

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”