Methods of Securing a Carpet Runner

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Robert D. Grant

Methods of Securing a Carpet Runner

Post by Robert D. Grant »

We just finished cleaning our 10 year old carpet and, surprisingly it still looks pretty good. In order to try to keep it looking good we want to go back to using a runner. The only problem with the old runner was it would keep moving around on us. We tried securing it to the carpet with spiral tipped pushpin-like fasteners that you screw in through the runner into the carpet by hand, but these didn't work very well for us. Has anyone found a better method?
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I've tried everything...& my 'runner' still moves. :( I'm open to any suggestions also...... 8)
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Camping World used to sell double sided carpet tape for the back of runners. Not sure if it worked or if they still sell it. I was going to try it in my Allegro rig (that's allowed, right?), but never did.

At home we have tried that waffle looking rubber pad that goes under throw rugs. They had different types; for example carpet on top of carpet, and carpet on bare wood. We have used that to put under runners on our wood floors at home. The mats do not move, even with the dogs running on it. They may work on top of carpet also.

If not, there's always 6" spikes :wink:

John
rv4fun

Post by rv4fun »

The method we've used to secure our runner has worked well. We travel with an 85 lb chocolate lab and it still stays in place. We used metal snaps to hold the carpet runner down. We screwed the "male" part of the snaps down to the floor through the existing carpet. Male snaps with screws were readily available at our local Ace Hardware. We then attached the "female" section of the snap to the bottom of the carpet runner. The female section is the same as the large snaps that can be attached to fabric and are available in a fabric store or Ace Hardware and they attach/rivet to the runner. Anyway this method works well for us and it's held up well for since we've put it in 3 years ago.. Larry
Robert D. Grant

Connie and Larry,

Thanks for the info. There is an Ace Hardware near where we will be staying in Maine this Summer. How does the "female snap" attach to the runner?

Bob and Della
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I believe this is what Larry and Connie are talking about. The kit comes with a flaring tool and anvil to attach the "female" end to the runner (you supply the hammer). You screw the "male" end in with a philips screwdriver. The link is to Ace Hardware's website but I've also found the kit at my local Lowe's.

http://tinyurl.com/6coobn

Hope this helps, Bill
Attachments
screwsnapkit.jpg
screwsnapkit.jpg (44.69 KiB) Viewed 14996 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

Hi Bob,
We have used a runner carpet for many years and it does not move. At the kitchen end I use a metal carpet strip where the carpet mets the linoleum. I screw the stip into the plywood floor. On the other end I fit and run the carpet all the way forward, remove the dog house, tuck the carpet under it and lock it back down.----never moves. George B
George Boley
Knowledge will never be lost, provided it is shared
Robert D. Grant

Thanks to all who provided input on securing a carpet runner. We found a Stanley screw-snap kit at our local Lowes for $6 which appears to be identical to the General kit that Ace carries. We installed this today and are pleased with the results. The screws are quite short and would not reach down into the wood sub-floor, but they seem to be pretty well secured into the carpet pad. We only used 4 sets of snaps, 1 at each corner of runner, so we have 2 more left over if we need them (6 sets come in the kit). By the way, the "rug runner" was purchased at Wal-Mart for only $15. It is a perfect fit and we found a color that perfectly fits our decor (several colors are available). We did purchase a General rotary hole punch at Lowes for $10 which facilitated the process of punching holes in the runner. Total cost of project was $31 plus sales tax, not including labor (now fully retired and work cheap). Thanks again.

Bob and Della
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Bob, I'd be interested in the $15 "rug runner" you purchased at Walmart that fit perfectly. Description, make, model or part no.? Thanks, Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Robert D. Grant

Bill,

The part number on our receipt for the Walmart "rug runner" is 008609316893. The exact cost was $15.22 before tax. The one we selected is a muted blend of shades (light browns and tans with a solid darker brown trim edge) which works well with our tan carpet. If I recall correctly, they also have solid shades of green, red and brown which could work depending on your decor. We have beige-white leather sofa and chairs. I am not sure of the length, but it is perfect for our 26 foot rear side bed model as it covers nearly the entire carpeted area between the sofa and the dining chairs. The only part not covered is a small triangular area at the kitchen end as the carpet runs at a slant at that end.

Thank you for the very helpful information on the snap-screw kit.

Bob (of Bob and Della)
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

We also used the snap solution on a small rug between the driver and passenger seats. However, we purchased the snaps at a local awning shop, which also makes custom boat covers, etc. The shop had colored snaps that completely matched the rug. The awning shop installed the snaps on the rug at no charge to us. Our total cost was less than $5 for the snap assemblies. And when one of the male snap connectors failed, they replaced it at no charge.

Another solution we've used is to lay out a soft plastic "studded" rug protector on the carpet, then put the rubber backed runner on top. The plastic "studded" protector does not move at all. The runner does move, but very, very little.

Double sided carpet tape never worked for us. It also left a sticky residue that collected dirt and left stains on the carpet.
Last edited by Barbara & Ken on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbara & Ken
Robert D. Grant

Barb & Ken,

Would like to email you. Please email us. "delrobgrant@aol.com"

Bob & Della
dsfriday

Carpet Runner

Post by dsfriday »

For our 2008 BFT, purchased a piece of original carpet from Born Free and sent to RTW, the people who make the matching floor mats, for $12.00, they sent back a 23" by 84" inch carpet runner made just like the floor mats with edging and a rubber nonskid rubber backing, fits in space between our twin beds, works great. If interested, call Ed, he has the particulars.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

dsfriday, and RTW stands for ?

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
dsfriday

Carpet Runner

Post by dsfriday »

Not sure. The complete name is RTW Enterprises, Elkhart, IN 46514. Phone 574-294-3275. Web site www.rtwcorp.com

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”