fREE ADVICE ON LOOSING POWER

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

HOSTETTERS

fREE ADVICE ON LOOSING POWER

Post by HOSTETTERS »

AS A NEW WRITER BUT LONG TIME READER I AM ASKING FOR FREE ADVICE WHICH IS BETHER THAN WHAT I PAYED FOR IN THE PAST!
ON OUR RECIENT TRIP TO COLORADO OUR 2004, V8 F450 DIESEL SUDDENLY LOST POWER, ON LEVEL GROUND, TANK FULL, NOT HOT ETC. NO WARNING LIGHTS JUST NOT ABLE TO GO OVER 35-40 MPH. PULLED OVER TURNED OFF AND AFTER 15 MIN COULD DRIVE WITHOUT PROBS FOR 200 MILES ONLY TO DO AGAIN. WE DID THIS A TOTAL OF 5 TIMES ON THE TRIP SOMETIMES ABLE TO GO 500 MILES BETWEEN "EVENTS".
WE HAD A 94 F350 THAT HAD SIMILAR PROBS TURNED OUT TO BE FUEL PUMP. SOMEONE SAID "AIR LOCK" DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO FORD DEALER SAYS ALL COMPUTER STUFF CHECKES OUT GOOD NO PROBLEMS. WAS TOLD FORD HAS REPUTATION FOR BAD FUEL PUMPS.
HELP!
whemme

Post by whemme »

I don't have an answer to your power loss problem. However, I want to make you aware that it is generally considered shouting when you post a message in all capital letters.

Hopefully someone will post with a possible cause of your diesel power loss problem.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

I don't have an answer to your problem but over the years when I have had a problem with my Powerstrokes I have gone to the website: www.powerstroke.org where there is a forum with a lot of discussion about engine problems. You will probably have to sign in, however, there is no cost. When you get to the forum, go to 6.0 motor problems and you will find many threads of discussion. Look through them and you may find one that describes your problem. I'm sure you will find a lot of answers, some of them very questionable but some very good. Good luck
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

Has the fuel filter ever been changed?
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Water in the diesel fuel? I used to use a water separator on my Mercedes diesel.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
HOSTETTERS

Post by HOSTETTERS »

sorry for the "shouting" i guess i'll whisper now. needless to say i do not type much. to reply to above comments i have had it to ford dealer twice for a total bill of over 300$ and they changed gas filter etc and said everything checked out ok, but we later still had frailure. i put so much "gunk" in the tank you'd think the rv ran on methanol, but the only common denominator to long running without probs seemed to be the stoping and turning the machine off. is there anything to this vapor lock idea?
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

I'd guess it's either water in the fuel tank/filter or a plugged fuel filter and it sounds for all the world like a dirty fuel filter. The dirt (rust?) gets sucked into the filter and blocks part of the normal fuel flow. After you stop for a few minutes, the dirt that doesn't get trapped in the filter falls back down and it takes a few miles for it to get enough into the filter that it's clogging again.

I had a similar problem with rust in an old Datsun 260z. After going thru a case of fuel filters, I finally had to drop the tank, pressure wash it, and coat the inside to seal it. They make a special gas tank epoxy paint to trap and seal the rust. I never had the problem again. I think these have poly tanks tho... so I'm not sure what you could be sucking up.

Fuel filters (at least on the Ford V10 gassers) are not a job for a do-it-yourselfer as, IIRC they require special tools. However, changing the fuel filter is relatively inexpensive, and is probably the least expensive diagnostic you can do. BTW, a fuel filter will plug pretty quickly if you have rust or other gunk in your tank, so just because you had it changed recently doesn't mean it doesn't need it again.

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Robert D. Grant

I agree that it sounds like a clogged fuel filter. That is why I asked if it had been changed. I had this happen to me once, but adding a quart of additive and changing the filter fixed mine. I would get the filter changed again and have it examined for "gunk". You may need to get the tank dropped and cleaned. Be very careful where you buy your diesel fuel. Also try to never let the fuel tank get below 1/4 full.
Robert D. Grant

By the way, I have never heard of "vapor lock" on a diesel. I don't think it can happen.
Ralph Strauch

Post by Ralph Strauch »

A friend once had a similar problem with his MG. The engine would stop for no apparent reason and after the car sat for a while it would run again. He eventually traced it to a plugged air vent in his fuel tank cap. The vent was supposed to allow air into the tank as the gas was used. When that didn't happen the tank developed a vacuum that at some point overcame the fuel pump suction and killed the engine. When the car sat, there was enough leakage to eventually let air back into the tank and the engine would start again.

I don't know if something similar could happen with the diesel, or not, but it might be something to check.

Ralph
Robert D. Grant

Did you (Hostetters) ever get to the root cause of the power loss problem? If so, what was causing the problem and has it been fixed?
HOSTETTERS

Post by HOSTETTERS »

For those following this post an update... the last trip again power loss but now a different ford dealership... quickly made the Dx..."plugged fuel transfer pump"... common on the fords... $730 later new transfer pump and filters, tank steam cleaned- no problems for 900 miles plus. Their recomendation is to make sure the tank is full at winter storage (to avoid rusting tank)and be sure to use stabilizers (to avoid sludge and precipitate)and clean gas.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”