Where to Put Everything BFT

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Norm

Post by Norm »

We have just purchased a BF BFT, 2004, and are trying to decide how and where to put everything. We would appreciate any advice on where to put things (downsizing from a travel trailer), and what to take.
Thanks,
Norm & Judy
Mel Wilbur

Where to put everything in a BFT

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Norm, having downsized from 40' coaches we discovered that we carried way to much "stuff" with us. Amazingly, we discovered we could actually survive quite nicely with the space at hand in our Born Free, even for a 3 month stay in Florida. I think it is a case of what you want to take with you and what you really need to take with you.

If you have been reading George Boley's "Driving Miss Daisy" articles you may not have realized that they are traveling in a BFT and have been for quite a few years. You may wish to ask them for some good advice.

Bottom line here Norm is that you need to put some of your "stuff" in boxes and either save it or have a yard sale. We did save it and still have those boxes in our garage. Maybe I should take my own advice and have a yard sale with the proceeds going into my gas fund.
Mel & Connie
Norm

Post by Norm »

Mel, Thanks for the advice. We are already discovering that we have too much to take. Appreciate the note on "Driving Miss Daisy" too. I have noticed it but not read...will do.

Take care,
Norm
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

I have weighed our BFT and the rear axle is more highly loaded than the front axle. A low center of gravity is also better for handling than a high center of gravity. With these two concerns in mind, we make storage decisions based upon weight, assuming it will fit in more than one place. We place heavier items toward the front of the coach and as low as possible. I went to sea for a few years and sat out my share of rough weather where I saw all sorts of items I thought were well stowed come loose and dance around the compartments. For this reason we never put heavy items in the upper compartments where they could be bounced out in a hard stop or accident and join us in the cockpit. We stow clothes and towels and other light items over the sofas. Food goes over the sink but I have installed supplemental door latchs to keep the cans in their place. I also latch the knife drawer and the two other large drawers which have some dishes and heavier items. With a little thought I've found a place for everything we need including a (large) portable dog crate and our portable satellite dish.
ddpjep

Where We Put Things

Post by ddpjep »

Norm, it is hard to know where to begin.

1) Under the bed on the passenger side we put the spare tire, being careful to not interfere with the inclining bed mechanism. Under this bed between the spare tire and the front passenger seat we place emergency kits and equipment that we won't need very often so that the spare tire cannot slide forward and hit the inclining bed mechanism. On the other side of the spare tire and toward the back of the coach we put big tools, a tool box of smaller tools, rolled up rugs and items for use with the awning.

2) Under the bed on the driver's side we put drinking water hoses and electrical cords. We also carry folding tables and chairs here. From the inside we store footwear and cans and boxes of grocery store items. We never put items for dumping the holding tanks anywhere near foodstuffs or potable water equipment. Instead we use other outside storage compartments for black and gray water items.

3) In a half dozen or more places around the coach we have screwed in little gold hooks from which we hang keys, a clock, fly swatters and knicnacks. We have also installed some coat hooks. On the floor between the front seats we have a medium sized basket in which we put all the miscellaneous items that used to slide around on the floor. Lately we have been leaving our sleeping bags zipped up but spread out on top of the inclining beds like furniture covers.

4) In the closet we just hang a few jackets and our best slacks, shirts and dresses. On the closet shelf we store hats, rain ponchos, towels and other bathroom supplies that don't fit in the medicine cabinet or around the sink top. We fold most of our shirts and blouses and put them in the cabinets above the beds along with undergarments, socks and other small items of apparel.

5) Besides storing kitchen utensils in the kitchen drawers we use one drawer for loose parts and items sorted and put into Ziplock bags. We put heavy canned goods, bottles of detergent and large flashlights on the floor inside the cupboards. We put bottles of liquid in plastic storage boxes so the woodwork won't get wet and become stained when the bottles leak.

6) Last, but not least, as soon as we buy a motor coach we buy several 16-inch grab bars from Home Depot. We attach two of these grab bars to the cabinets above each bed. Besides for safety, these grab bars are also useful for temporarily hanging clothes or damp towels. Another place we like a grab bar is in the cab ceiling to aid us in getting in and out of the front seats. We have also found it useful to have a small adjustable shower curtain rod in the shower. This gives us another place to hang damp towels and washcloths.
Norm

Post by Norm »

David/Jan and Dean/Jan,

Thanks so much for taking time to write what you did...it was all a very real help. We are planning to store most things in plastic boxes because we thought that would make them more accessible and also cut down on shifting and rattling. Since I haven't had a motorcoach before, I haven't heard the rattling in a travel trailer. Now it seems we have all kinds of rattles from cups, pots, silverware, etc. My wife is anxious to know how to cut down on rattling?

Again...many thanks for your responses. Norm & Judy
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Norm, the first thing we do with a new coach is to line all the cabinets with a thin felt like material. We line the bottom and sides using spray on adhesive. This type of material can usually be found at Home Depot, Lowes, or Walmart and does take some time cutting and fitting but makes a big difference in the sound, or should I say lack of sound.
Mel & Connie
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

Norm: Having downsized a couple of times, I found the best place to put all the GOOD stuff is in the barn and carry lots of cash. It is quite light.
How much you carry along will depend on your travel style, but I have found that a change of clothes, a few groceries, and a bunch of electrical hook-up stuff is all we need. But then , we eat out alot if we are near town.
I wish we lived where a garage sale would be a beneficial option to a barn ful of once valuable gear.
Norm

Post by Norm »

Mel,
Thanks again...this is a great idea. I will defintely get this done before we go on our next trip this end of this month. We will out in an area known as "Tate City" surrounded by National Forest with the road ending in a wilderness area about 3 miles from our house. Fortunately, our nearest stores are Wal-Mart and Home Depot!
Norm

Post by Norm »

Bill,
Thoughts are pretty much what we had thought as well! However, we do want to load what we can so we can at least survive between eating out! My wife liked your suggestions a lot:)
Bogiesmom

Post by Bogiesmom »

We have a 2007 BFT. Here are several things we have done:
1. Bought new stuff sacks with straps for the traver sacks (sleeping bags with removable sheets) and pillows, which allows you to really cinch them down reducing their size. These go in cabinets above the driver and passenger, along with lap top, printer, and other sleeping gear.
2. Use small plastic bins with lids for our shower accessories. Mine holds hair dryer, curling iron, shampoo, gel, soap, lotion, comb brush, tooth brush, etc. Store these in bins over couch. Same bins for storage of extra batteries, bulbs, fuses etc in one. One for first aid and bug repellent, etc.
3. We store canned goods, pop, and heavier stuff under couch/ beds. We also put these in larger plastic bins with tops, that can stack one on top of the other. The dog has one with all his stuff. The Weber grill, outside chairs, dog crate, jack, safety triangles, tool box, hoses, etc. also fit under the beds. You do have to be sure they don't interfear with the bed motor and raising apparatus.
4. Our spare tire is mounted on the rear of the BFT.
5. For clothes we layer them on large plastic hangers which don't rattle, and hang in closet. We found a small cloth shoe hang up bag that holds extra shoes, books, gloves, ear muffs, etc. in cold weather that also hangs in the closet. Undies, socks, etc. go in drawers by closet and if you use large zip loc bags to put them in and squeeze the air out, the drawers can really hold a lot.
6. We use a larger shoe bag with clear pockets that hubby mounted on the inside of the bath room door. This holds extra soap, lotions, mouth wash, and all kinds of stuff. He also got a small wire rack and mounted it over the commode for shower shoes, extra towels etc.
7. To prevent things from rattling we place paper plates between items, wrap in the dishtowels, and use the rubbermaid spongy shelf liner in all cabinets, and pack items in tightly. Food items go in cabinets above the sink, and I use zip loc bags a lot, repacking things like tea bags, sweetner, snack foods, etc. which take up less room than original boxes.
8. For meals we cook at home hamburgers, bacon, sausage, spaghetti, soups, etc. and freeze. The we take out as needed and pop in microwave. I wash all fresh veggies and fruit at home as lettuce, spinach, etc. and put in big zip lock bags so its ready to use. More prep time at home but sure is nice while camping.

You learn to be creative and after several trips out cull what you don't need and use. Be sure to weigh your unit so you don't get it over loaded. We spent 21 days in our BFT on a trip to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and to our son's in Helena, Montana last summer. We had a marvelous time and loved the BFT's ease in handling and parking.
Happy Camping!!
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

Norm: Modifications we have made to our BFT : I got some nice brass colored twin hooks and put them on either side of the big mirror, and a couple up high above the lest sink to hold grocery bags for the light trash.

I got a bunch of plastic hooks for the bathroom to hang wet clothes and towels as well as wet rain gear when needed. These are the same plastic hooks that I attached to the outside for stringing a clothes line.
One of the major jobs was to run a spare 120 V line to an outlet just above the starboard lower bunk door. This was to accommodate an electric heater that would be out of the way and at the same time giving some heat where it is needed to counteract the cold from the cabin.
Norm

Post by Norm »

Guy & Connie,
Thanks so much for taking time to write out all the very helpful suggestions. It's great to have such experienced information and to be able to work with our own BFT in planning toward good trips. We have gotten plastic containers of various sizes and will store what we can in those. Where you put things and how you packed was also very informative and we appreciate the help!
Norm and Judy

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”