Ready to take the leap!

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

John & Madonna Hoecke

Ready to take the leap!

Post by John & Madonna Hoecke »

John & I will be going to the Fredericksburg, VA rally and will talk with Jim D. about purchasing a RSB. Our plans are to make it to an Alaskan caravan within the next four years (John still works full time). In light of that we are thinking we ought to consider a newer motorcoach - 1 to 2 years old- so that it will last us a while. Our hesitation comes when considering a 2005. Any words of wisdom from this group is surely appreciated. If we buy a demo or nearly new unit we expect it should last us 10 years or more. Something older may have more problems and not last as long. Your experiences and perspectives will help us narrow in on what we will buy.

Another question we have is about the Banks units. We live in the east so no super big mountains. We do plan on longer trips to the southwest, Grand Canyon, Alaska, Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Canada. Is the return in power worth the investment? We will probably buy the gas coach instead of diesel.

Casual Elegance upgrade: for those of you with it have you found it worth the extra expense? We like the looks of the CE features but don't know if the added cost is something we should hold out for.

Lastly, for now, is the power awning. Any strong opinions for or against? Seems like a nice feature but again, worth the expense?

Thank you for your patience and for sharing your wisdom with us. We hope to buy very soon and I am looking forward to having more living space in the BF.

Madonna Hoecker
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Madonna and John;

I can try and answer some of your questions, based on my experience with my Born Free, and other coaches.

We have a 2006 RSB model. We had some initial problems with it, but they were taken care of by the factory, and they did it right. So buying a 1 or 2 year old Born Free should be a safe investment. However, the new models have some better features and more interior space, since they made it about a foot longer.

I do not have experience with the Banks systems. I don't know what you would gain, since the Ford chassis is so computer controlled, I think it would take a long time to pay back whatever the Banks system costs. We have been out West several times with prior motorhomes, both Ford and Workhorse chassis. I don't think we ever felt underpowered, where our saftey was at risk. Sure, going up steep grades and winding roads are harder, but you are pulling thousands of pounds up those hills. How much would the Banks help? I don't know.

The casual elegance package is nice, but we don't like the dark cabinets. But you can order the oak ones, if you were ordering. I think the CE pkg also includes a thermostat to control the a/c unit. That I would definetley like.

I would stick with a manual awning. Anything power requires more maintenance, and more things to go wrong. My prior motorhome was an Allegro with 2 slides, power steps, hydraulic levelers and lots more. I spent more time cleaning, lubing and checking things to avoid problems than what it was worth. I bought the Born Free to avoid doing a lot of those chores. Now, we use it come home, vacuum and clean the inside, wash the outside and wait for the next trip. Would you completely trust to leave the awning out and leave it, hoping the rain/wind sensor and all the mechanical components work properly so you come back and find your awning all rolled up, and not blown across the top of the motorhome? When in doubt, we roll ours up before laeving, or going to bed. Only once did we get caught by suprise, and that time a kind neighbor in the next campsite rolled it up for us when the wind kicked up.

Good luck with your decision. If you find one that meets most of your criteria, ask Jim about having the factory add what you want to make it perfect for you. This is my first Born Free, but my 5th motorhome. By far, the Born Free is the best built, and has the best customer service going.

John
Steve W

Taking the leap

Post by Steve W »

John & Madonna

For what it is worth, here is another two bits worth of experience. One, we had the Banks power package on a Chev PU while towing a travel trailer. It provided substantial power improvement but no mileage increase. Our present Born Free is a 24RB with the V10 and with the power that provides, I would not even consider the Banks. As to the electric awning, we briefly considered - then discarded the idea after taking to several Born Free owners who had had negative experiences. As to what year BF to purchase, I would look for a 2005 to a 2007, simply because I like the storage space that the rear bumper provides. I think that if you take your time, you will be able to find a very nice 24 or 26.

Good luck. The Born Free is a great coach.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
John & Madonna Hoecke

John & Steve, thanks so much for your input. Electric awning is scratched off the list. John, I like the look of the cherry but can see where it could make the coach seem dark. Will probably scratch CE off the list. The Banks system is also scratched off. Wow, you two have saved us a lot of money! When we run into you, we owe you a cold libation!

Madonna
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

Madonna: Go back and read some of the horror stories about old tires.
Too many good adventures have gone sour when a "Good Looking" tire disintegrated and took the holding tanks, exhaust system and other parts of the motor home into oblivion.
Our 2004 has great looking tires with only 35000 miles, but they will be replaced come spring, because I don't like the idea of conversing directly with guard rails, abutments or ditches.
Bill
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Well it looks like I am in the minority here. We have the Banks system, cherry wood and are more than pleased with both. I do however agree that the manual awning is the best way to go.

As for gas vs diesel, having had larger diesel coaches from 1984 to 2001 I am please with our Ford V-10. Although the fuel mileage is better, if you consider the additional cost of a diesel coach you would need to travel upwards to 250,000 miles just to break even.

As others have stated, keep in mind that if you buy new or used, the factory can make modifications necessary to fit your needs. This would include items such as changing to the Winegard tv antenna (depending on the year of the coach) or converting from cab over bed to entertainment center and vice versa. I'm sure you will enjoy the VA factory rally and be sure to bring along a notebook to keep track of all your questions and answers.
Mel & Connie
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

FWIW, our 05 26RSB has the CE upgrade and the power awning. We purposefully chose the CE as we like cherry over oak. We also like the upgraded fixtures and countertops. We felt the CE is worth the money. The power awning came with the coach and after using it for 3 years, I'd say forget it. A manual is just as good.

No idea about the Banks system, but I did talk to a class A owner and he did not feel that it was worth his investment. BUT, the BF being smaller, perhaps the Banks can add a decent amount of power? I can't help but wonder if it might increase the stress on the motor and tranny, however.

If we do not end up selling our unit (no serious offers), we are planning on keeping it for more than 10 years. As long as you do regular maintenance (and change the tires), the unit should last a long time.

Chris
2005 26RSB CE (still for sale)
John & Madonna Hoecke

Well, we took the leap and placed our order with Jim today. It was great talking with Jim, Jerry, and Dean (production manager). Great guys! My husband really enjoyed his braut. Oh, our rig should be ready by mid-September. We didn't go down thinking we would buy new, but we sure did. Decided against the CE, upgraded to ultra leather captains chairs and porcelean toilet. At first we were going to get the ultra leather sofa but decided cloth would give the interior a nicer look. We have never used the awning on any of the rigs we have owned so decided against it for now. We are pretty excited (meaning REALLY excited). They will take our Pleasure-Way as a trade-in, so that certainly helps.

We will fly out to Humboldt and pick it up. We are both looking forward to that. A bit of a change for our fall vacation but we can't think of a better way to spend it than in our new Born Free!!!

Madonna

ps now I get to change my signature line. yippee!
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Congratulations on your new purchase. Sure is exciting!

We went with the ultraleather sofa because of our dogs. Even though we keep the sofa covered, dog hair still finds it's way under the cover. The ultraleather is easy to vacuum and wipe clean. Works for us.

What other options did you order? We find the window awning is real useful. Ours only covers the sofa window, but a longer one could be gotten that also covers the kitchen window. We use that one more than the patio awning. Can leave it out in the rain and wind, and leave the windows under it open.

If I were ordering, I would get the thermostat controlled a/c unit so it shuts off completely at the preset temp. The fan doesn't keep running. I would also eliminate the carpeting and get tile throughout. Again, easier to vacuum and clean

Just some thoughts based on our experience and life style.

Now the long wait begins :lol:

John
John & Madonna Hoecke

John, I'll ask about the auto thermostat thing & window awning when I talk to Jim next week. We didn't order a lot of options figuring that some things we might grow into and add later. Of course, we got the generator. We've never owned an rv without one and although we don't use it often, it is important to us to have that as we will visit a number of national parks that don't offer anything but a parking place (and spectacular scenery). So options include the genset, ac, ultra leather chairs (all four), & porcelean toilet (tired of cleaning plastic ones that tend to stain). All in all, a pretty nice setup for us, we think.

Madonna
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Madonna, you might want to reconsider and get the awning(s). The BF takes special "bent/curved" hardware in order to snugly fit the side of the coach. This special hardware is the old "oval" style vice the newer round style (don't worry as the old "oval" style is made much better and binds less). You can special order them and have your local Camping World install them (as I did), but it would have been much easier and a nicer looking install if I had it done at the BF factory.

Bill
Attachments
SO Awning Hardware.jpg
SO Awning Hardware.jpg (23.8 KiB) Viewed 13111 times
Last edited by bcope01 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
John & Madonna Hoecke

Bill, Jim told us that they install all the blocking and such and that it would be an easy install later in the event we changed our minds and wanted the awning. I suppose that is assuming that BF installs the awning. Living on the east coast and traveling here primarily, we have never used the awning of any of the three rigs we have owned. We expect to travel to the Grand Canyon within the next two years and Alaska within the next four. We may wish that we had the awning then. Since John is still working full time, I imagine that most of our travel will remain in the east until he retires. If we find ourselves traveling west often (where I assume shaded rv spots are not as common) we may go ahead and have the awning installed.

Other perspectives are welcomed and appreciated!

Madonna
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

John & Madonna Hoecke wrote:...Living on the east coast and traveling here primarily, we have never used the awning of any of the three rigs we have owned...
Well, there's the difference, out West here I've seen a coach or two with the awning extended even while moving down the road. :D Not on purpose, of course! :lol:

Good luck and enjoy your new coach!

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
John S.

Post by John S. »

Hey there, you are not far from me here in Front Royal though I used to live in Vienna and Oakhill as well. THere is a great guy who can fix your born free and he is ford warranty as well. It is premier RV in Marshall VA. Mike is a great guy.....

COngrats on your new coach. We looked used too and found the new coach to be a good buy as well. We are on our 2nd Bornfree with the current one being the 24 footer. You will love the 27 RSB.
John & Madonna Hoecke

John, we've used his services before and agree, very good service with reasonable prices. We still have a couple of plastic cups we got from him, so finding his phone number is no problem.

Perhaps we will see you at a rally or on the road. Shenandoah NP is one of our favorite getaways.

Madonna

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”