Flexsteel Captain Chair Lubrication

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BornFree_n_Now

Flexsteel Captain Chair Lubrication

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

One of our swivel chairs has progressively become more difficult to swivel. After removing it to inspect from the bottom, I didn't readily see a non-messy / efficient way to lubricate the bearings ~~ I will be contacting the manufacturer, but was curious as to what the “collectiveâ€
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
richardfstone

Post by richardfstone »

Above the swivel bearing is a preload nut that holds the chair. On our rig I have to loosen this nut once in a while and the chair will move much easier.

Dickstone
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Wah-la (voila), either way, thanks ~~ worked great, as did a #24 metric box wrench ~~
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as the bearings on my chairs are squeaking and need to be lubricated. Anyone know the best stuff to use?

It would need to be sprayable through a small tube similar to a WD40 can, I believe, to get in between the plates to the bearings.

Thanks!
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Mike, I haven't needed to use any on my BFT seats yet, but I used to use white lithium grease in a spray can to lubricate the seat bearings on boats I've owned over the years. These were open boats subjected to saltwater spray. It can be sprayed through a fine tube just like WD-40 and works well. Should be available at most hardware stores. Check out this link for such a product sold at Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

That sounds like a great suggestion. Thanks Bill!
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
thkurtz

Flexsteel dinnette chair difficult to swivel

Post by thkurtz »

I had that very same thing happen. I used a silicon spray with a long red tip and sprayed the area between the bottom plate and the swivel plate. I could barely move the chair and now it moves freely. The product I used is a silicone spray lubricant by Permatex.
I hope this helps.
Terry Kurtz
2002 RSB
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

Thanks Terry, that sounds like another good option. The write up on the silicon spray does not mention bearings as a use though while the white lithium grease does so I'll probably try the grease as a first approach.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

To post a follow-up note on this topic, I posted a query onto the Flexsteel website and got a call back from a customer support person. They weren't too particular about the lubricant, happened to mention WD40 which I had and had used. When I told them it hadn't resolved the squeaking for any length of time they said it was probably time to replace the bearings. Two sets (one set each for two chairs) costs $10 but they send them out COD which cost me a total (parts and shipping) of $24.61.
(Flexsteel is located in Dubuque, so if you're in the area you could save the shipping cost.)

I replaced the bearings on the one persisitent squeaker today. Easy job of removing (5) 1/2" nuts, lifting the chair off, and then removing one 31/32" nut. Replace the bearing pack and then everything else, and it's done.

Flexsteel: 3400 Jackson Street, Dubuque, IA
(563) 556-7730

Flexsteel P/N: 2350 TPKT
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Mike, did you lubricate the new bearings before you installed them? :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

bcope01 wrote:Mike, did you lubricate the new bearings before you installed them? :D
No...but I did spray the bolt that the chair rotates around. Not sure if that was the best decision or not but it was a spontaneous one. Sort of like..look a road! I wonder what's down there? :)
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”