Meeting Roadmasters Towing Specifications

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BobM

Meeting Roadmasters Towing Specifications

Post by BobM »

Hi Folks,
I recently had a Roadmaster tow bar installed on my Honda Accord.
Everything seems in order except for the fact that the hitch height exceeds the safety zone specified by Roadmaster. They specify that the tow bar be no lower than 4 inches below the hitch height. My tow bar is 6 inches below the hitch height. I am reluctant to add a drop receiver because of the additional length it creates between the hitch and the tow bar. How concerned should I be about the additional 2 inches that exceeds Roadmasters specifications
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Hi Bob,

I would think that it would be wiser to use a drop receiver than to be too unlevel in towing. I am using a 6" drop receiver and then the tow bars are nearly level to my Honda Civic.

I am not sure I understand what your fears are regarding a drop receiver?

Maybe you all can enlighten me?

PatTrish
whemme

DROP RECEIVER?

Post by whemme »

Bob,

I have towed Chev Malibus (first a 1998 and now a 2005 model) for over 50,000 miles behind two different BF's using a Blue Ox Aventa II motorhome mounted tow bar. My tow bar between these two vehicles was out of level approximately 4", that is, it was 4" higher at the motor home rear bumper receiver. That amount of offset is just at the maximum limit specified by Blue Ox. I early on purchased one of their drop receivers - a 4" unit. They offer them in 2", 4" and 6" models I believe. You really do want to have the tow bar as level as possible but never, never have the tow bar higher at the dingy end than the motor home end - that really would be a no, no! Having a 6" offset like you have is not good. I can tell you from experience that driving thru centain road dips that the bottom of my drop receiver may contact the road service before my rear bumper mount rollers do - you need to be carefull about the severity of the dips you drive thru.

Having a level tow bar is really being kind to your dingy's front suspension, tires, and the tow bar base plate not to mention the tow bar assembly itself. If the tow bar at the motor home receiver is offset by 4" or more, each time you have a hard stop, the offset causes a large downforce to be applied to the front end of your dingy. When you drive thru a dip in the road such as coming out of a gas station onto a highway, for example, those situations can cause great twisting forces to be applied to your tow bar and also the front end of you dingy. If you have a tow bar that is signficantly out of level, those twisting forces will be greater.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
BobM

Post by BobM »

Trisha and Bill,- Thanks for the good advice. I have ordered a drop receiver for my unit. My hesitation regarding the drop receiver was the additional distance it places between the rear bumper and the tow bar. Also the additional loss of ground clearance. However, safety is the top priority - so the drop receiver will be used. Thanks again for your quick response and good advice.
Trisha

I too appreciate

Post by Trisha »

Bill's detailed and informative reply. Thanks again Bill.

Trish

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”