Cover for BF BFT

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Norm

Cover for BF BFT

Post by Norm »

I have a BF BFT rear door and would like to get a breathable cover. I would like to get one soon and have a fairly good fit, though I'm not sure I could afford a custm. Any suggestions??
GKarschnick

Post by GKarschnick »

I put a cover on a car a few years ago and the result was badly scratched paint from the dirt that filters through the fabric. Also, it's a real mess when you try to remove a soaking wet cover after a rain. My advice is to forget the cover idea. You might be better off to get a "carport" awning to protect your motorhome. I bought one for my 26' RSB for under $2000.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Norm, these guys will make you a quality semi-custom breathable Sunbrella (full 6-year warranty) cover for $28.00/linear foot. In my discussions with them, they make it based on a few simple measurements they ask that you provide. I don't have one myself, but if I was to get one for my BFT, I'd buy it here:

http://www.calmarkcovers.com

or call 1-800-838-7236 Monday thru Friday 9/5 PDT (PST)

or anytime email at calmarkcover-dougd@verizon.net

Suggest you start by calling their 1-800 number.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Norm

Post by Norm »

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the response. I had wanted to do a metal carport-type cover but don't have room on my mountain side property. Another friend had also recommended Calmark so I'll give them a try. Thans for your response!
Norm and Judy Allison
Norm

Buying the Calmark cover

Post by Norm »

I am buying the Calmark cover which is selling now for $28 per foot [length of BF]. They had me do a lot of measuring and seem to be very conscientious about having the size right.

Thanks to those who responded...I believe this will be a great solution to protect our BFT.

Norm and Judy
Ray'n Mary

Cover for BFT

Post by Ray'n Mary »

I too have a BF BFT, Norm. When not in use it is parked under an often messy flowering plum. This spring I made a cover for it using Tyvek--the "breathable" plastic used in residential buildings. I made it to cover only the top, not the sides.

I started by cutting a piece of the Tyvek approx 18' long and 9' wide. Then, along the front and side edges--and rounding the corners around to the back--I hemmed those edges by folding them(a double fold), and concurrently setting a continuous piece of nylon cord (about 50' long) into it. Then sealed the hem with Tyvek tape--which is extremely strong. At intervals along the hem I put in pairs of grommets, through which to protrude loops of cord, are then hooked by sturdy elastic cords to rather random places along the sides and back (such as to awning supports, the rear ladder, etc.). The front end of the plastic (after the cord is pulled tight in rear) is held down tightly just under the protrusion of the leading edge of the coach, above the windshield.

Costs were about $50, not counting the piece of Tyvek which was left over from a friend's construction job, and might have cost about the sme amount.

I'll soon be putting it on again, for a while, and will take a photo for you.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I was putting on my cover a couple of days ago and thought I might pass along a couple of (I hope) helpful comments. If you tighten the tarp so that it exerts pressure on the fantastic fan vent cover the vent cover may warp if your BF is exposed to direct sunlight (high heat). This happened to me on another motorhome. I made a simple wood frame to place around the vent cover to hold the tarp away. I had a problem with water pooling on the roof area inside of the roof rack. I solved this by buying several plastic "milk" crates and turning them upsidedown in this area. They elevate the tarp above the height of the roof rack so that water drains off.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Norm

Thanks for the info.

Post by Norm »

I apprectiate the word on the cover, but have already ordered one! Anyway, when this one wears out I'll know there are other options.

Thanks, too, for the advice on proping up the cover when I get it. I wondered about the antenna, etc., but this will help.

Norm & Judy
Ray'n Mary

Cover for BFT

Post by Ray'n Mary »

FYI,
This is obviously moot by now, Norm, but attached is a photo of the "shower cap" cover I made (of Tyvek) for my BFT--as promised in my earlier posting. It's proved easy to put on or remove, takes only 5-10 minutes.
Attachments
Homemade roof cover for BFT
Homemade roof cover for BFT
RV w ShowercapDSCN0263 (WinCE).JPG (9.17 KiB) Viewed 13224 times
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Norm, now that you've had your cover for ~month, how about giving us a review on it - quality, fit, etcetera?

Thanks, Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Norm

BFT Cover

Post by Norm »

Ray,
Your "shower cap" looks great! Wish I had waited to see. It looks a lot easier to manipulate that the one I have.

Norm
Norm

My BFT Cover

Post by Norm »

Bill,
Give me another month to give a report. I have it, and have used it briefly, but I am still travelling so I have not given it time. It does take time to put on and take off, but covers well. I'll give a full report on the company and the product in December. If I can get the size adjusted a bit to fit the BFT better, I think it will be a worthwhile cover.
Later,
Norm
Norm

BFT cover

Post by Norm »

Barb and Bill and others,
I have had the Sunbrella cover for a while now. When I first received it, the cover was too large [not sure who was at fault...maybe my measurements] but I returned it at Calmark expense and they resized it. It fits perfectly now. Everything is fine, except I am still getting some water settling on top after hard rains. They sent me some spray for the seams to seal them, which I used. Still there is some. They tell me this should get better over time. Other than this the cover (about 45 pounds for BFT) is a bit hard to get on...for an old man...but otherwise seems to be good. I would recommend it to others.
Norm

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”