LP detector problem

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Janet

LP detector problem

Post by Janet »

Our LP detector keeps going off but we find no signs of an LP leak. I have heard this can be a problem with faulty detectors.
Can anybody give me some info if they have had the same problem?

Last time on the road it went off and this old woman was in the unit waving at the smoke detectors trying to get something to stop making all that racquet. Can't imagine what the people who were behind the RV thought. I knew the sound came from somewhere by the door (which the driver thought was crazy until it did it again and he checked). It quit on its own, but did it again when we backed into where we were parking that evening.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

Your post implies that you were underway at the time the alarm went off. If that is the case, are you sure that that the detector wasn't just doing what it should? CO is odorless and tasteless so it could have been pulled into the coach through the ventilation system and you wouldn't have noticed it. I'd check out the possibilities for CO before I decided the alarm was caused by a faulty detector.
whemme

Post by whemme »

David and Janice,

Janet was talking about her LP gas detector and you were referring to the CO gas detector in your post which are two totally different detectors.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I do not know how the LP detector in the Born Free is wired. Kim at the factory could give you the best answer about that.

But, in my Allegro the detector would go off when the house batteries were at a low vo;tage stage. I guess it's a built in safety factor, since the detector is wired to the coach batteries. If your batteries get low, you could lose the detecting ability without knowing it, hence the alarm.

I think your signature says you have a 2003 model. If it has the original battery or batteries, it might be time to replace them. Not meant to start a debate on battery life :wink:

When the detector goes off, check the battery voltage. If you can charge the batteries and see if the detector stops.

Just my SWAG (Some Wild A$$ Guess)

John
mi99amigo

Falty LP detectors

Post by mi99amigo »

Ours kept going off too. It would be worse when the weather was humid. I had the local shop go thru the motorhome and they could not find any leaks. Kim Olsen graciously sent me TWO replacements and they all performed exactly the same - many false alarms. I have one of those small hand held detectors for your LP tanks and that never went off. I finally bought another brand from Camping World. It is similar in size. The new one has never gone off since!
John S.

Post by John S. »

These detectors are know to die and go off. If you have hair spray or even cleaners they will be set off but many times it will beep but will blink red and orange or red and green depending on the detector. If it is solid red then you might have a leak. I have changed mine out one time and no issue with it since I changed it. I think I had connectors on the end of the Bornfree and just found the same type and put on the proper one for me to hook it up. NO leak was present. You can shut off the tank and wait and reset it and see if it goes off. It probably will.

Also as stated above they will go off with low voltage too. It is easy to change and many camping world or RV stores have the one you will need. Just look at it and then find the same one, put ont he proper connector and it will slide right in the hole and you turn a couple screws and you are done.
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

whemme wrote:David and Janice,

Janet was talking about her LP gas detector and you were referring to the CO gas detector in your post which are two totally different detectors.
OOOOOOOOOOOOps :oops:

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”