Scratches on Roof

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

quonset

Scratches on Roof

Post by quonset »

Hi Everyone:

The attached photo shows an irregular pattern of scratches on the roof. They are less than 1/2" in length and can be barely felt with with your fingernail. They are not deep enough to measure. The MH is stored outside, at least since I bought it in Sept. 2007.

Any idea what caused them? ( I suspect it may due to the exposure to the sun and heat.)

What do I do to prevent them from getting worse? A good coat of wax? A sealant of some kind?

Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
scratches.jpg
scratches.jpg (116.24 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
Russ Hagberg
Columbus, GA
1995 BF 21 BFT
norijake

Post by norijake »

Hello Russ,

From the picture that you posted, it appears that the "scratches" are really gelcoat cracks. Generally gelcoat cracks like those occur in gelcoat that has been applied too thick. For each formulation of gelcoat there is an ideal thickness where the cure will produce the desired finish, i.e. not too soft nor not too brittle.

I would say that the cracks that you see are probably cosmetic, not extending into the underlying glass laminate and probably are, as you indicate, caused from expansion and contraction due to heat exposure.

If they bother you, you could fill, sand and polish them out but, if the underlying cause is ultimately the thickness of the gelcoat, that could well prove futile. They will simply eventually reappear.

Did they just recently show up after storing the MH outside? Are they confined to only the roof? If so, providing a cover of some sort in order to deflect the direct rays of the sun may be your only way to stop them.

Here is a discussion on gelcoat that you may find informative:
http://cours.cegep-st-jerome.qc.ca/proc ... acking.htm

Jake
2004 26' RB
quonset

Scratches on Roof

Post by quonset »

Hi Jake:

The gelcoat link was very informative. The Thermal Fatigue Cracks (Isotropic Thermal Fatigue) appear to be exactly what I see on the roof.

The cracks are only on the roof.

The MH is has been stored outside since I bought it last year. Since I live in an apartment, it is not possible to store it under cover.

Perhaps a tarp might be helpful. I wonder if the tarp would "trap" some heat between it and the roof surface. The tarp, though, would limit exposure to direct sunlight, as you suggest.

Thank you for your help.
Russ Hagberg
Columbus, GA
1995 BF 21 BFT

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”