Care of Deep Cycle Batteries

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Rob

Care of Deep Cycle Batteries

Post by Rob »

As the new owner of a 2003 24RB I need advice on how to keep the Coach batteries in good shape. Right now I plug in frequently and have no problem. Soon I plan to move the Motorhome to covered parking and probably use it once per month. Any advice will be much appreciated.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Assuming you have the standard converter box, I've found in my unit (a 99') that it overcharges the batteries and ultimately boils the water out. If you keep it hooked up and your batteries charging, be sure to keep the battery cells covered with water.

With a properly charged battery I've not had a problem letting it set for some time, although it is good to run it once a month.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
whemme

Post by whemme »

Rob,

If your BF is equipped with the standard single-stage charger/converter Magnetek or Parallax Model 7345 like almost all BFs were, then as Brent says above, if you leave your coach plugged into shore line power during periods of storage, that charger/converter will overcharge your deep cycle coach batteries and cause water loss. You will need to watch your water level closely and keep the battery cells filled above the plate level at all times to prevent damage to the batteries.

One solution is to change out the 7345 unit for a modern 3-stage charger/converter. Another solution is to maintain your batteries charge level with a unit such as the Battery Minder that you can purchase from several online source for approximately $50.00. This 1-amp 3-stage charger can be connected continuously while your coach is in storge and it will maintain your deep cycle batteries in full charge condition without causing any water loss.

A link to the VDC Electronics factory for their Battery Minder product Model 12117 follows:

http://www.vdcelectronics.com/batteryminder_12117.htm
Attachments
A more complete picture of the Battery Minder with its supplied hookup cables
A more complete picture of the Battery Minder with its supplied hookup cables
Battery Minder Model 12117.jpg (30.24 KiB) Viewed 16597 times
Last edited by whemme on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Mary Ann

coach batteries

Post by Mary Ann »

This Forum is such a good place for info about our RVs! I had my coach plugged into 30 amps, because it is so convenient to run the AC here in Florida when I am cleaning or working in the coach. Today, after reading about the batteries, I unhooked, and stored the cord. I have difficulty checking the water level...not the actual checking, but pushing the two batteries back into the compartment in this particular unit takes more muscle than I can muster. I recently topped off the water (something I have done many times in the past with this unit and two earlier ones), and absolutely could not get it back, so I called Affinity Road Service (through Good Sam), and had my first experience with road help. The Service was great, and the young man who came was able to lift and push the batteries into place. While here, he insisted on checking everything under the hood. All was fine, except the rod which goes into the oil was not pushed all the way down. I had just had the oil changed and the the unit lubed (including the zerks), so I learned something else to check after getting the Rig Serviced.
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

Mary Ann,

Don't "unhook", just turn off your master battery switch while plugged up.

Bob
BonaProf

Post by BonaProf »

I apologize for my ignorance, but where is the master battery switch?
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

When you open the driver's door, it is visible in the "well" below the driver's seat. It is a round knob which is rotated to connect or disconnect the coach batteries. It should be turned off when the coach is in storage (to keep the batteries from running down) or when you are plugged up to an electrical outlet (to keep from overcharging the batteries as mentioned above).
whemme

Post by whemme »

I would like to point out that for most Born Free coaches the battery master switch is located below the left side of the driver's seat as Robert Grant points out above. But there are a few Born Free coach models where this master switch was located in the entry step area of the coaches entry door.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
BonaProf

Post by BonaProf »

Thanks, I had always wondered what that switch was for. Since the RV was working well, I never turned it off even though it was in storage for a couple of months or sitting in my driveway plugged into an outlet.

Another factor for me is that I have two solar recharging panels on the roof. How do these enter into what I should do with the master switch?

Thanks to all for your ideas and knowledge!
Rob

coach batteries on off wsitch

Post by Rob »

I am now storing my unit without access to shore power. I plan to use it monthly. Should I turn off the coach battery switch when the coach is in storage?
whemme

Post by whemme »

Rob,

Yes you should because your LP gas detector runs off from coach battery power and will eventually discharge them if this master switch is not shut off. If you were to use a Battery Minder as I discussed in an earlier Sept 7th post of this topic, that 3-stage trickle charger would keep you coach batteries fully charged (and not over-charged) while your coach is in storage and you then could leave the battery master switch on or off - your choice. If you leave it on however, make sure that you don't leave some other heavier DC load on the coach batteries running such as one of you DC lights or maybe your refrigerator. The Battery Minder will not have enough output to supply such a continuous load while in storage.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Rob,

If you intend to use your coach monthly (and I assume you mean you will run it over the road for more than 30 minutes), then your batteries will be charged from the coach alternator. That should top up their charge just fine. I believe this happens whether or not you have the battery master switch on or off.

Also, if you have a generator it is always wise to exercise this for 2 hours once a month under half load. While I do this I have the battery master switch on, so the battery will get trickle-charged. Assuming they have not run down much (you did turn the battery master switch off, right?) this should charge them up.

When we are on the road, usually for several weeks or months at a shot, when hooked up to shore power, we generally turn the battery master switch off to prevent boiling away the battery water. Just remember to turn it back on while going down the road, or your DC stuff, including the LP detector and the fridge, won't work.

As mentioned in several other replies, do NOT leave your unit plugged into shore power for long periods of time with the battery master switch on, unless you have gotten the more sophisticated converter. When in storage and not hooked to shore power, always turn your battery master switch off. Also, just to be safe, check your battery water level on a regular basis.

Using the above regimen on two different motor homes we have not had any problems with our batteries.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Nathan Cook

Care of Batteries

Post by Nathan Cook »

You may want to check Amazon for a great price on the VDC Battery Minder.
Nathan
BobM

Post by BobM »

Mary Ann, please have someone check the enclosure/compartment for your batteries. On my coach, the enclosure began to separate. I noticed this when trying to pull the batteries out. The enclosure was reinforced at the factory. Have someone look into the enclosure and check all the seams.
karls

Post by karls »

Walmart sells a "Battery Maintainer" for $19.95 that works fine for the purposes discussed here.

Karl Striedieck

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”