Renting an RV in AK

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

harrisgowing

Renting an RV in AK

Post by harrisgowing »

We just returned from a trip to visit grandkids in Fairbanks. We drove our BF from MI to AK 2 years ago, flew up last year and stayed in hotels, and this year decided to try renting an RV in Anchorage. The unit was a 2009 25' Tioga with a slide. While we loved the slide and the extra room, the differences in quality with our 2004 26' BF were sort of astonishing. The cabinet doors on the Tioga were always flying open and one even fell off. I will never complain about the hinges in the BF again! Several switches did not have on and off indications, which was a problem with the water heater when I couldn't remember if I had turned it off. We never did figure out how to light the oven. The water tank fill opening was on the opposite side of the unit than the city water inlet and holding tank dumps - really inconvenient. No air bags so the ride was awful. But, we did have a good experience and will probably do this again if gas prices stay so high. I have definite opinions on which rental companies to use if anyone wants to rent in AK. Our first unit was so awful that we turned it back in on the second day and changed companies. Still fighting for a refund. If you want any information on rental companies, please feel free to email me.

Judy Harris
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”