Using a 3-G card in a laptop computer

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Peter Robinson

Post by Peter Robinson »

Don't reject iPad type devices just because of this battle between AT&T and Verizon and their users. The potential of the Apple iPad or similar device as an overall RV mobil communications and information solution as explained in my previous post is tremendous and if it is true Verizon is really that much better there are iPad type devices on the Droid Verizon platform and others as well.

Private pilots are now flying with iPads as navigation devices although certainly it is not designed to replace multi thousand dollar light plane glass touchscreen navigation panels. This iPad type technology is definetly worth a look for a mobile lifestyle and much more convenient and portable than even a folding laptop and more multifunctional than most laptop setups. When is the last time you were able to sit outside your RV and word process, update your maintenance record easily using iPad data base application, hold the device, and read an electronic book, study an electronic map with GPS, do electronic banking, make campground reservations, day or night etc., etc, etc? Pilots use a bracket to watch the iPad screen in flight, your RV co-pilot can do this also or hold the iPad or similar alternative brand device like a small clipboard and make the campground reservation while moving.

This iPad and other versions of it are truly portable and a leap forward. A great alternative solution to trying to adapt a laptop and such. Why not take a look, and as they say, look first, decide after!
Last edited by Peter Robinson on Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Peter Robinson wrote:...The potential of the Apple iPad or similar device as an overall RV mobil communications and information solution as explained in my previous post is tremendous and if you believe Verizon is really that much better there are iPad type devices on the Droid Verizon platform and others as well...
One such device (7" dia.) that uses the Android OS (with Flash), has wi-fi AND 3G service across ALL cell service providers, and has been well received:

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab

Bill
Attachments
Samsung-Galaxy-Tab.jpg
Samsung-Galaxy-Tab.jpg (38.72 KiB) Viewed 4882 times
underlay_2.jpg
underlay_2.jpg (73.01 KiB) Viewed 5055 times
Last edited by bcope01 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
whemme

Post by whemme »

I purchased just a week ago an Apple iPad 16GB/Wifi + 3G and am just in the process of learning how to use it. It appears that it will be able to replace my laptop that I take to Phoenix every year when we travel SW for the 2-1/2 months in the winter. So far I have been spending my time learning an aviation application called Foreflight and I am impressed.

However, one thing is giving me fits and that is which cell carrier to select for 3G coverage. I tried to sign up for AT&T non-contract month to month service but was denied because they did not have primary service at my home ZIP code location. I my try in late January when I am in the Phoenix area using a local RV resort address to try and trick them into providing service - don't know if that will work or not. I have checked out Verizon's 3G data plans but their non-contract month to month service is expensive and of course you need to buy their MiFi 2200 Hotspot Adapter also at extra cost. Their other less expensive 3G data plans would require a 2-year contract plus the MiFi 2200 Hotspot Adapter and I want to be able to shut the service on any off again which is easy to do with AT&T service.

Then I hear all the reports (or rumors?) that AT&T's 3G service is much poorer than is 3G service from Verizon. Any advice by anyone out there with experience that can advise me?
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Peter Robinson

Post by Peter Robinson »

It is estimated that over 4 million iPads have been sold to date. It was introduced one year ago. The number of iPhones (kind of a smaller version of an iPad with complete cell phone capability) sold to date is 50 million (introduced three years ago). If three quarters of the iPads and all the iPhones are 3G capable then there are 52 million iPad like devices currently using AT&T, the data carrier for this brand plus the millions and millions of additional AT&T users with older other brand cell phones. They have all survived somehow. Businesses are increasingly moving to the use of iPads by their employees. I personally think it's probably a workable solution to go with AT&T especially at $25 a month ($300. year) for 2GB data/mo, even with an overall two year contract, and especially given that you can activate and deactivate month by month and use home wifi and hotspots reducing that overall cost considerably when not traveling.

An aircard for a laptop may be free but $20-30 to set up and $60-70/mo for its' data plan. That's about $750. per year and the user can't activate/deactivate like AT&T to save money. The difference per year is at least half the cost of an iPad.

Supplemental "Mobile HotSpot" emulator devices allow the 3G data/cell network to work like a Wi/Fi connection and your WiFi only or WiFi selectable device to connect to the 3G network via WiFi, but there is still the issue of which service carrier to use for that and you are tied to a supplemental second device (the HotSpot emulator device in your RV) so it seems like the flexibility of your iPad or other brand Pad would be compromised. I understand people who already have WiFi only iPads (less expensive initially) and other devices do sometimes go with a secondary hotspot emulator device rather than a new WiFi and 3G capable replacement for their iPad or such.

An I pad will work just fine in a home, business, campground, community, or other hot spot WiFi environment without any additional service cost, but you need a combination WiFi and G3 iPad and data plan to connect over the cell network normally.

The iPad shown below is about 7.5x9.6 inches, .5" thick. It weighs 1.6 lbs. All control is by touchscreen finger tap, drag, spread, or swipe. An Apple iPad is not a Macintosh computer, certainly it has inherited a graphical user interface and innovation, but it is a new type of device and many iPad owners have a PC laptop or desktop and an iPad. So take heart PC devotees.

Most iPad owners have a second computer, a laptop or desktop, for much more extensive word processing, page design, graphic arts or extensive business management and such, and the Apple Store can set up an iPad for you along with an imbedded iTunes account (free) so it could stand alone if you don't want or don't have an existing computer or, as in our family's case, are sending an already set up and potentially stand alone iPad gift to a 94 year old father on the other side of the Country.

The iPad can receive files, books, games, applications, music, etc., etc directly from the internet cloud or directly through the internet Apple iTunes store and also the new Apple "ap store" opening online in Jan. using the iPad's internal "iTunes" purchase management account. However the iPad is designed to be occasionally temporarily USB connected (synced) to another computer if you want your iPad files, downloaded books, applications, EMail, contacts, music, games, photos, etc. backed up in that other computer, or when you want to download updated Apple operating system software releases. An owner could use someone elses computer for this or a community computer for some of this.

More and more people, especially travelers (RVers?, business people, presenters, nomads) are finding that an iPad, and I assume comparable devices of the same type, do all the mobile or home "computing" they require and are beginning to want to abandon their former laptop or desktop altogether.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (6.25 KiB) Viewed 5027 times
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Bill, we have traveled extensively with both
AT&T and Verizon and the AT&T 3G service is definitely inferior to Verizon's. We switched services when we got the iPhone. Before that we had Verizon and tethered our cell phone for internet connections. AT&T 3G is available usually in urban areas only. It doesn't exist in most of southern Utah or in most rural locations. However, the iPhone internet connection does't have to have 3G coverage to work, just 3 bars or more. Of course, the fewer the bars, the slower the connection but it has been adequate for email and simple internet connections without 3G. I hope this is also true with the iPad, which we intend to get this spring. If so, we won't get the expensive Verizon option as we have found our iPhone capability adequate for our needs while traveling. Enjoy your iPad!

Judy
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”