Fuel stabilizers

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Mel Wilbur

Fuel stabilizers

Post by Mel Wilbur »

After talking with some boating friends it appears that those of us using the product stabil may want to switch to the newer stabil marine formula. The attached link to West Marine confirms the various articles I have found on the internet.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... -Your-Boat
Mel & Connie
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

As a retiree from Big Oil, the last thing I would so is defend use of ethanol in gasoline. Ditto the federal subsidy for same. However, Detroit has long been designing engines and fuel systems to cope with ethanol up to at least 10% and I would doubt that fuel stability is compromised so much. The marine industry spent a few years complaining, then they too recognized reality. Corrosion, phase separation, and such remain concerns. There is even debate whether the long held view that fuel tanks should be stored full is still best. I do not know whether there is a way to drain fuel from bottom of our tanks, but if one remembers that gasoline is HIGHLY FLAMMABLE, draining a half gallon after sitting a day or so before storage wouldn't be a bad idea.
The referenced article seems like it may be 15-20 years old.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

This was on another RV forum. Anyone ever hear of it?

"Of a special note or FYI, we found a gas treatment that appears to be better to use than Stabil, it is called StarTron. (They have a website) The brand Stabil is a chemical additive and the new StarTron is an emzyme gas and diesel fuel treatment that is said to cure and prevent ethanol problems- ie the accumulation of water in the gas. It is also good for 2 years. Hubby Larry personally called the company as we were concerned with our 72 Ford Bronco and 83 Mercedes diesel car as well as with our 05 Chinook RV. (We had noticed there was an application for diesel fuel as well.) Larry feels satisfied with the information he was given- that this is emzyme action and not just a chemical additive. It should work better and last longer. We found it at Walmart (near boating supplies) and are using it in our cars and equipment. Just thought I'd pass this along."

John
grross

Post by grross »

For what it is worth...Although the newer cars may be designed for the ethanol fuels, older vehichles are not...MFRs tech service bulletins and owners manuals address the issue. Like John I have gone to the startron product for all of my gas engines, cars, trucks, mc, atvs and all small gas engines. The results to date have been excellant. My Harley Davidson got me started on the product because my bike can go months without use...no more carb problems!!
2008 27' RBRE V-10

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”