Confused about RV weight

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tonyg

Confused about RV weight

Post by Tonyg »

We have a 2008 28' RSB with an incline bed in the rear instead of the standard bed. I have had the RV weighed twice months apart and each time the driver side rear weights were 4950 lbs. and the passenger side rear was 4450 lbs. The driver side front was 1600 lbs. and the passenger side front was 2160 lbs. The black and gray tanks were empty and the fresh water tank was only 1/3rd full. Gas and propane were full. I have even removed the bathroom door and replaced it with a much lighter curtain for more space. The only things stored in the rear on the passenger side are some towels and other light things which can't weigh more than 100 lbs. I don't understand why the left rear weighs so much. I'm also confused about the driver side front weight being so much more than the right since I weigh 50 lbs more than my wife and in addition the generator is on the drivers side. The RV was weigh by the local police and their scales are calibrated at least monthly. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Tony
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

Tony

The first thing I would look at is the pressure in the airbags. If there is a significant difference in pressure between the airbags there will be an abnormal weight distribution. The corner with greater pressure will shift load to the diagonal corner, therefore those diagonal corners will indicate a greater weight. If you are not sure of the airbag pressures at the time you weighed the corners you may want to weigh it again with this in mind. Other than that, I can't think of another potential cause.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
Tonyg

Post by Tonyg »

Virgil,

I did check the air pressure and noted that the driver side air bag was 8 lbs psi less than the passenger side. In the initial post I said that the driver front weight was "more than the passenger side. I meant to say that it was less that the passenger side weight by several 100 pounds. Don't know if this is the answer but it does seem to make sense. Now I also wonder if I have a leak in the air bag since I always put in an equal amount of pressure. Something else to worry about since we are heading to Florida in 2 weeks. I've been reading that there are gas shortages in the Carolinas, Georgia and parts of Florida.

Thanks,

Tony
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

There is also a gas shortage in TN.But it may be better by now, as in AR it just went down to 2.97 for regular.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

No gas shortage here in SoCal at $3.55/gal. for regular. :x

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

We were in Joplin, Missouri yesterday and regular unleaded gasoline was $2.70 per gallon.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
rv4fun

Post by rv4fun »

We were in Chicago for the past several days. Gas was around $3.70 a gallon. Wow! Where we live in Santa Rosa, CA it's only $3.35 a gallon. It's pretty rare for gas to cost less where we live because there's so many taxes on gas in CA. Makes me wonder if there's some games being played with the price of gas before the Nov. elections?.. Larry

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”