I'm a new owner of old BF

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Bryan

I'm a new owner of old BF

Post by Bryan »

Hi Everyone,
Earlier this year I bought a BF24RB serial No. 5068 manufactured 09/1991.
Bought in too much of a hurry on ebay as I wanted it for my 50th birthday to go away with friends(so much for older and wiser). The van was not as nice as I thought it would be and my heart sank when I saw it. Left hand drive of course and on the test drive within 300 yds I'd clipped a parked car so felt under even more pressure to complete the purchase I handed over my £10,500 ($18,182) the transmission didn't work properly and the brakes were dodgy but drove 300 miles home. Spent the next month working on things that didn't work (nothing could be tested at the time of purchase as the leisure batteries were shot). Got away for my birthday but after the weekend a vote of no confidence was called(we had a couple of near misses) and had the vehicle recovered. Seven weeks and £3,200 later I have new rear brakes and rebuilt E4OD transmission.
I think I've paid way too much for it but if the mileage is genuine the old low tech engine should run forever, the transmission is known to be good with an added cooler and 12 months warranty the chassis is fine and the other bits I can do myself.
It's heavy on fuel the ad said he got 22MPG but I'm only getting 15MPG with the utmost care and here in the UK we pay £5.31 ($9.20) per gallon so it's not cheap to go anywhere, having said that I'm in a wheelchair and it's home from home when I want to go to a party or visit friends and thats great.

I have no owners, workshop or appliance manuals for her, I know nothing about the vehicle re servicing or anything else for that matter, can anyone tell me anything at all I would be most gratefull. I have asked the factory but only got a very curt answer saying they had no info for a vehicle of that age. I guess they don't see me as someone they can make money out of.
Many thanks Bryan
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

Bryan:

Are you sure your unit is an American made (Humboldt, Iowa) Born Free? Just doesn't seem right that you would contact the factory, that I know, and receive that type of response.

http://www.bornfreemotorcoach.com/introduction.cfm

That said, if you could list your specific appliances, engine or any other product that you need information on I'm sure this Bboard will be able to provide what you need
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

One other thought... could you post some photos? Would love to see an export BF of that vintage.
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
whemme

Post by whemme »

I guess I would not fault the factory for not having available manuals for each and every appliance installed in a coach that is now 17 years old. At least on my first 1999 BF 24' RB coach and my current 2002 BF 26' RSB coach, the factory provided a large blue 3-ring binder containing manuals for the coach itself and manuals for each of the appliances installed. The Ford Chassis Owners Manual and Service Guide were also provided by the factory.

I guess I would not have purchased the coach unless the previous owner supplied me with that factory binder full of manuals. The fact that info was not provided would have caused me a real concern about the past maintenance and current condition of the coach.

Your best bet at this point would be to do an internet seach for manuals to cover each and every brand and model appliance installed in your coach. You may be successful on at least some of the appliances.

After 17 years and many different brands and models of appliances that are no longer in production, expecting the factory to have extra manuals for them in inventory and be able to supply them is just not a reasonalble expectation.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

As for the gas mileage, no way is a 24' rear bath going to get 22 mpg. Your 15 mpg is actually quite good. My 2006 24' rear bath gets between 9 mpg and 11 mpg, depending on how loaded I have it, where it is being driven (flat vs. mountainous areas) and how fast I drive.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Quite a story!

I presume your coach to be on a 1991 E350 Ford chassis. That would put it with a carbureted 460 V-8, and undoubtedly a C-6 automatic transmission. The C-6 was nearly bullet-proof, and the 460 was a decent engine provided you didn't overheat it.

The bodies of the early '90s Fords tended to rust faster than you could make payments, but fortunately most of the body on a cutaway chassis is from Born Free and will be fiberglass.

I would agree that you probably have two or three times what the coach is worth in it (at least here in the U.S.), but as long as you have it now, and you find it reliable, enjoy it!

As has been said, your appliances are getting elderly, but that doesn't mean that they're not serviceable. Do your homework on-line by manufacturer and model number, and you'll be surprised what you can find out there.

Here's a link to some old manual information that may be helpful too:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/manuals.html

It would be interesting to see photos of your coach.

Good luck!

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Thanks for all the input, I've had a couple of requests for Photos so here's some already on the computer and I'll take some more tomorrow, anything in particular?

Bryan
Attachments
Ford Econoline 4.jpg
Ford Econoline 4.jpg (17.82 KiB) Viewed 13434 times
a2f3_1.jpg
a2f3_1.jpg (31.2 KiB) Viewed 13434 times
adee_1.jpg
adee_1.jpg (24.68 KiB) Viewed 13434 times
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Bryan -- that looks like a VERY clean coach and looks to be in great condition -- I had an 1985 24RB that looked just like yours -- took it to Alaska and really enjoyed it and the trip -- trust you will also enjor yours -- PS do you belong to the Born Free club?
norijake

Post by norijake »

Bryan,

These manuals may help:

http://www.amazon.com/RV-Repair-Mainten ... 311&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Electrical-System ... 16&sr=1-11

http://www.amazon.com/Chiltons-Repair-M ... 905&sr=1-7

Also Banks may make a power kit for your engine. If not, there may be another performance company that could supply you with headers and an improved air intake system. Those could help improve the mileage performance but you'd need to weigh the cost vs. the proposed improvement.

As Mr. Newby said, she sure looks nice and clean in the pics.

Jake
2004 26' RB
jimnphyl

Post by jimnphyl »

Hi, Bryan,

We had a 1987 21’ Rear Door President which we bought in 2000. We loved it. I felt a twinge of nostalgia when I saw the pictures of your Born Free. It looks very similar to ours.

However, it had some problems that your motorhome might share:

Cabover Window

The cabover window leaked, specifically where it joined at the bottom front. This was a problem with the cabover window. Born Free ultimately eliminated this feature because of that. We discovered this problem driving up an incline into an RV park. Water started pouring on us from the cab light fixtures etc.

I applied caulk and that mostly worked. I would pull back the bed and check below the window after a rain. I would also line this area with a plastic trash bag and towel when we stored the unit, in case heavy rainfall got through.

We thought a better solution would be to remove and re-install the window, with a new seal. We contacted Kim Olson at Born Free who said that the window would break when you tried to remove it, but that they could cap the area and replace the material inside for $1400.

We liked having the window to look out of in the morning. It’s too bad it tended to leak.

Furnace

Our Born Free had a Duo-Therm 901 series furnace. If yours has one, I advise having it checked out, or preferably replaced, as soon as possible.

The story on this is that on our first trip in it we heard a popping sound at high altitude, and contacted Duo-Therm (Dometic) while on the road. One of their technicians advised us to have it serviced, and told us to take it to Camping World. But at the Camping World we took it to, they refused to service it, saying they could tell it was a Hydro Flame by looking at the exhaust vents, and those furnaces were difficult to repair (we found this confusing, but thought that “Hydro Flameâ€
Jim & Phyllis

2000 24' Rear Bath
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Hi Jim & Phylis,

Thanks for your message, it's been good to meet people on here and have my confidence boosted about the vehicle. Sure it's been and still is a lot of work but I'm getting there, I am sure in her day the RV was a top quality machine and I'm enjoying sorting out the problems really.
The Suburban water heater didn't work when I got it and found the over temp sw. u/s so replaced that but still couldn't get it to be reliable, took a chance (we pay double for US spares here) and bought a new ignition board and sorted that it works fine now.

Yes my overcab window leaks too even though it's had a real bodge job of a repair done with silicone smeared all over, I've managed to stop it for now with some "Captain Tolleys Creaping Crack" but when the better weather comes then I'll make a better job.

My Suburban furnace was being tempramental and I wasn't looking forward to tackling it but on inspection it turned out not too bad to access it only needed the electrodes cleaning and starts first time every time now.

The window blinds are stiff and difficult to operate I know I should do something sooner rather than later, before something gives. I'll take your advice re the website thanks for that.

Was it your dash or roof aircon you had problems with? My dash aircon doesn't work so I'll have to get it looked into.

Yes I'm talking about UK mpg but 15 UKmpg = 12.5 USmpg so I guess it's not too bad.

Happy Motoring,

Bryan
jimnphyl

Post by jimnphyl »

Hi, Bryan,

Sounds like you’re on top of things.

Our problem was with the dash air conditioner. I wondered too, whether it could have been upgraded at the same time to use a modern refrigerant.

I think it’s normal for the shades to move stiffly.

Regards,
Jim & Phyllis

2000 24' Rear Bath

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”