Surge Brakes

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

RVN4US

Surge Brakes

Post by RVN4US »

For long trips, I am considering towing our Buick Century on a tow dolly. Are these tow dollies equiped with a Surge brake? Or is there another type of braking system to be used? Thanks for any advice that you may have.
Roger H

Master Tow 80THDEB

Post by Roger H »

They can be equipped with surge brakes, but they're outrageously expensive (AND IMHO, not nearly as effective). I have a Master Tow 80THDEB which is the 80" wide, 5,000 lb heavy-duty version with electric brakes. As a matter of fact, I'm going to put my '06 model up for sale, and pick up a new '08 with LED lights this week.

I installed a Prodigy brake controller in the 23RK. It plugs in to the factory wiring harness with the proper adapter harness (about $9).

There are some issues you need to know about with the "hitch" on the Born Free.

I addressed some of them in this thread: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... .php?t=996
I'll send you a PM with my phone number. You can give me a call if you want to discuss what I did to resolve them.

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”