Dry Battery??

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mi99amigo

Dry Battery??

Post by mi99amigo »

I am usually pretty diligent in terms of battery maintenance. I check the water/acid levels two or three times each camping season. When the BF is not in use, the house batteries are disconnected via the kill switch and a Battery Tender is hooked up to them.

In preparing for another winter's slumber, I checked the water levels. I was surprised to find the the front battery is bone dry! The rear battery is still fully filled. Since they are hooked in parallel, could one battery's water gets boiled off while the other one is perfectly fine? Perhaps, there is a leak in the housing of one of the batteries? Would that not corrode the BF somewhere?

As Greenspan would say, this is a conundrum.
Bryan

Dry battery

Post by Bryan »

For a battery to be "bone dry" it would have to be a leak, batteries do boil off water when charged, gassing begins at 13.2V, is moderate at 14.4V & is very heavy at 15V, are the batteries being over charged? check with a volt meter. Strange that only one battery is affected (leak?). You say that the batteries are connected in parallel, be sure they are connected as shown in the attachment i.e. to the positive of the first and the negative of the last not as so many people do with both leads connected to the first battery and subsequent batteries simply looped off.
Hope this helps a bit,
Bryan
Attachments
File0001.jpg
File0001.jpg (195.25 KiB) Viewed 3809 times
richardfstone

Post by richardfstone »

Chris,

You might try disconnecting both batteries and measuring the voltage of each battery. You may have a bad cell in one battery causing that battery to take a constant heavy charge, possibly boiling off more water on one battery. Hope this helps.

dickstone

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”