Place to stay

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

marty

Place to stay

Post by marty »

Hi Folks,
My husband and I purchased our first ever RV. It is a 2007 26' Born Free. We are leaving MI and heading for Berkeley, CA. Our plan is to arrive in Berkeley towards the end of Dec so we can spend the Holidays with our son and his wife (Berkeley, Dwight Way). I'm looking for a place to park our RV. It could be a campgrounds or rv park or just a safe parking spot. We will be traveling with our 2 rescued mutts and we can stay with the kids...or not...Any ideas , possible parking locations, advice, will be so appreciated. THANKS, Marty
whemme

Post by whemme »

Marty,

Sorry I can't help you with a recommended RV park in CA since I live in Iowa. However, as a new Born Free motorcoach owner, I would encourage you to consider joining our Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club that sponsors this website. Our club currently has 635 members and offers many choices of rallies and caravans each year as you will discover from browsing our website.

Membership is only $15.00/year and a membership application form can be downloaded from the topic on this Discussion Forum labeled Club Membership Application and Renewal Information.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
marty

Thanks for your reply Bill.

Post by marty »

I am a member, just joined. I received a free membership when we purchased our BF in Humbolt. It is looking like a wonderful place to share ideas, get help, give help and establish some new friendships. Thanks Bill, Marty
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Marty.

My suggestion would be to peruse the Trailer Life Directory for a campground in that area. I doubt that you will find anything in Berkeley but perhaps in the extended East Bay area. There are several in the San Francisco area but that would entail travel across one of the bridges to reach Berkeley and traffic can be a bit of a problem. Especially when one considers the fact that there are 37 million people in this state.

Hopefully this helps a little and from one owner to another, welcome to the Born Free Leap'n Lions Club. Most of us just enjoy our coaches, but should you ever have a problem, there are a number of very knowledgeable owners in the Club who are always happy to offer their expertise. And of course, there is always Kim at Born Free.

Steve Wolfe
Chico, CA
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Camping in Berzerk-ly. That's a tall order. There are campgrounds sprinkled around the outside of the East Bay, but I certainly can't think of anything close in to Berkeley itself.

My suggestion would be to have your family scope out what they can find locally and report back to you so you at least have some idea of what you're looking at.

The Berkeley/Richmond/Oakland area has some absolutely beautiful places, but it has some very scary neighborhoods and local inhabitants as well. Choose your parking site wisely.

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Depending on your son's driveway and local restrictions your coach makes a great in-law apartment when parked in someones driveway/yard. Of course this would depend on the length of your stay when it comes to water and holding tanks and you would be limited to what you could run on electric power assuming your son could only supply 20amp service.
Mel & Connie
Nathan Cook

Parking the BF

Post by Nathan Cook »

We live near a RV park that allows people to store their RV for weeks at a time for a reduced parking fee. Maybe there is a RV park near your family and an arrangement can be made. As I recall there is nothing near Berkley, so you may have to be picked up.
Nathan
marty

PLace to stay (in rv) in the Berkeley, CA area

Post by marty »

Thanks to Bill,Roger, Mel,and Nathan.. I appreciate you taking the time to add your input towards solving our problem of finding a place to park our RV in Berkeley. We are still working on a solution. Marty
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Just adding my 2 cents being as I live in the Bay area.... 8) When I travel North I absolutely avoid San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley & that whole area. The traffic is horrendous, most of the roads aren't very good & some of those areas are dangerous....lots of shootings in Oakland, almost on a daily basis. (Don't know anyone that lives around there, but it's on the news here). Not trying to scare you but just trying to help you to be informed. I checked Travel Life Directory & there's nothing in Berkeley...There are some listings for the San Francisco area but I can't recommend any of them as I stay away from SF...traffic is crazy up there. If you have any relatives that will allow you to park in their driveway, that would probably be your best bet. Otherwise, I'd find a park as close as possible to the area you'll be visiting and then rent a car for your transportation needs. Sorry I can't be more positive, but wanted to at least respond to your post.....
Claudiaj

Post by Claudiaj »

You could try Lake DeValle near Livermore. It would be about 45 min drive to Berkely. Great if you have a toad.
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

While visiting my wife"s neice in Oakland a few years back, we stayed at an RV Park in Novato and drove our tow car in to Oakland and back but we only visited one day with 2 nights at the RV Park (a little expensive as I recall).

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”