Towing Problem

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dennis & Leatrice Amo

Towing Problem

Post by Dennis & Leatrice Amo »

I have a 2005 BF24RB and 2008 Malibu. I went to Tow World in Florida and had a Blue Ox hitch and base plate installed. Also a Toad Stop Braking System. We added a four inch drop receiver, which put the Malibu four inches lower that the motor home drop. When I left the dealer to go back home, I notice that I constantly had to adjust the steering of the BF. It felt like the rear end of the BF was pulling back and forth. I called the dealer back and he said to bring the vehicles back and he would check everything out. But I was wondering if any of you had this problem and how did you resolve it.
whemme

Post by whemme »

I have some experience towing Chevrolet Malibus with Born Free coaches. I towed a 1998 Malibu LS behind our then current 1999 Born Free 24' Rear Bath coach for approximately 55,000 miles with no problems. I have Blue Ox Aventa coach mounted tow bar with a 6" drop receiver at the back of the coach. Now I tow a 2005 Malibu behind our current 2002 Born Free 26' Rear Side Bed coach using the same tow bar and drop receiver and have for approximately 20,000 miles.

In both my 1999 Malibu and my 2005 Malibu, the 6" drop receiver provided an essentially level tow bar. The base plate hitch pins for your 2008 Malibu must be lower than my 1999 and 2005 cars.

I never experienced the problems that you are reporting. I assume that you remembered to put your Malibu automatic transmission in Neutral rather than Drive - it will be hard on your transmission and/or engine if you didn't. Also, are you sure your braking system was not activated to some extent?

I am not familiar with your braking system, I have always used a Brake Buddy system with no problems.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bechlumber

Towing

Post by bechlumber »

Is your steering wheel on your malibu in the locked position. In my Jeep I have to turn the key to a position to unlock the steering wheel so it turns easily.
2002 24' Rear Bath 4x4 7.3 Diesel
whemme

Post by whemme »

Actually, the Chevrolet Malibu does not lock the steering when the ignition switch is in the OFF position like in some vehicles. What the ignition switch in the desired ACC position unlocks is the transmission lever so that NEUTRAL can be selected.

Another thought I had was were you sure that you had both of the Blue Ox tow bar extension arms locked in their full extended positions when you towed? If only one of the arms were locked, this would cause the problem you described.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dennis & Leatrice Amo

Bill

I did everything that Chevy said to do. I put the car in neutral and the key was turn to ACC. I tested the brake system and they only activated when I step on the brake pedal. I will say the measurment from the ground up to the Malibu was 131/2 inches. And the BF 171/2 inches, thats 4 inch diffference. Also all the pin were locked in place. Thank for the response.
Dennis & Leatrice Amo

Update on the towing problem. I went to Towing World the other day so they could check out the problem with the swaying. We tried a six inch drop and added 90 lb to the air bags. It didn’t change anything. So they think the BF needs a wheel alignment. I'm not sure that a wheel alignment will solve the problem, but I will have the alignment done. To me it's dangerous towing the Malibu. The back end moves from side to side. Any sudden jerk of the BF steering wheel may end up losing the control of the vehicle. I'm wondering if it’s the nature of the beast. When you have a short wheel base and a long overhang from the back wheels to the bumper. If anybody has a 24RB BF towing a vehicle I would love hearing if you have the same problem or if you solved the problem.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I've encountered literally dozens of BF 24RBs towing vehicles and none of their owners have mentioned to me the problems you're describing. Seems to me something with your particular setup is the culprit - the coach, the tow hardware, or the car. Hope you can get it figured out.
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
bechlumber

Towing

Post by bechlumber »

I have a 2002 24RB and have towed a Jeep wrangler for 6 years and have never had a problem. It sounds like your malibu may have a problem. Are you carrying anything in the Malibu to change the weight distribution. It sounds like your Malibu is not tracking right. Is there any chance that your braking system could be malfunctioning.
2002 24' Rear Bath 4x4 7.3 Diesel
Steve W

Towing

Post by Steve W »

Dennis

We tow a Honda CRV behind our 2007 24RB. Our towing apparatus is the Roadmaster Falcon 2 Tow Bar in conjuction with the Even Brake braking system. We have never had a problem such as you describe nor have I heard other owners relate to such a situation. Provided your towing system was properly installed, I tend to agree with a prior comment that your problem may lie somehow with your towed vehicle and not with the Born Free.

Wish you well for having our "Toad" with us provides a great deal of flexibilty to our travels.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
whemme

Post by whemme »

Dennis & Leatrice,

Wondering if realignment of your new coach solved your towing problem? Please give us an update whether your problem was solved or not?
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dennis & Leatrice Amo

Bill

I brought the BF in for a wheel alignment and the fellow who did the alignment found that the Safety Plus was crossing the tie rod. I had Safety Plus put on at Camping world in St Augustine, Florida. They used the wrong bracket and that caused the Safety Plus to hit the tie rod. So every time I hit bumps in the road, Safety Plus hit the rod and the BF would move one way or another. The technician said that this was very dangerous. By the way the alignment was fine. After having the alignment and the technician refabricating the brackets for Safety Plus, we took the BF for a test drive with the tow vehicle. Unfortunately it didn’t change anything, the BF still swayed.

I called Blue Ox since all the towing equipment is there’s and there technician recommended putting on there rear stabilizer. He felt that this would defiantly eliminate the problem. This is what I was afraid of, you buy one thing after another and the problem is still not solved. So I decided to go to the source Born Free and ask them for help, but they had know suggestions. Then I call Jerry Erehart at the Florida sales center. Jerry said bring the BF so he could try driving it since he’s towed so many vehicles. And then he said we’ll hook it up to other BF on the lot. This way we’ll know if it’s the BF or the Malibu. I drive over to Clermont after the first of the year.

Bill thanks for your interest I’ll keep you posted.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”