Electric Heater

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bfmc4fun

Electric Heater

Post by bfmc4fun »

We have been thinking of purchasing a small ceramic disc heater for our 23 foot BFT. We would appreciate any recommendations, comments, etc., regarding the use of these heaters or other recommended heaters in a small Born Free.

Thanks,
Bud
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi Bud -- we have been using a small electric heater in our motor homes for many years with no problems - we have used it in a 24ft -- 26ft -- 30ft -- and 37ft -- Bob Newby
Ray'n Mary

Post by Ray'n Mary »

Bud,
We use a "Bigheat" unit, a plain old resistance heater (not a ceramic disc heater), but works fine. It's about a 6" cube, 1200 or 1500 watt. In fact I just came in from checking it, because our night temps have been in the teens. I'm keeping it on because our TV is an LCD, which I'm told are vulnerable to below freezing temps. Besides, we're readying for a trip and didn't want to bother unmounting, then later remounting, the TV (not really a difficult job, but takes 15 min or so).

We often use it when actually camping. Set it on the stove top. Mainly because it's quieter than the propane furnace.

When, as tonight, the rig is parked in the driveway, we plug the Bigheat into a plug-like gadget, about the size of a large double plug, called "Easyheat," basically a thermostatically controlled device that, as coach's inside temps drop, turns the current on at 38F (and off at 50F inside temps get high). Lots of our local (Puget Sound) boat owners use these, in conjuction with a Bigheat, in winter.

It'll be interesting to read what other LL's feel about heater types (ceramic disc vs. resistance).
RVN4US

Post by RVN4US »

We have a heat strip in our roof air conditioner unit that works real well. I know that others have the same, and I read where one member has designed a thermostat for the heat strip. If your unit has the heat strip, you can check modifications of the heat strip by Brother George Boley to add a thermostat. Good Luck
bill crommett

heater

Post by bill crommett »

We have a cheap 1200 watt heater from Walmart. It works great in our BFT, but I had to install an extra 120 V outlet in the forward end of the starboard bunk so we could get the heat where it belongs -- where the cab gets cold at night.
bfmc4fun

Post by bfmc4fun »

Thanks for all the info. I like the idea of the thermostat on the heat strip. Also the one with the "easyheat" thermostat looks like it would be easier. As for the type of heater, I just need to decide how much we want to pay. Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas.
Thanks,
Bud
bill crommett

heater

Post by bill crommett »

I forgot to mention that the reason for the little Holmes heater from Walmart was because we didn't like the noise of the heat-strip.
lassen

Post by lassen »

bill crommett.....Agree with you we also didn't like the noise with the heat strip or running the furnace. With our 24 ft and overhead bed we use the Wal Mart heater and have made a curtain that blocks off the cab area.

Jack
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
golferdhm

Post by golferdhm »

We have a Honeywell 1500 watt, two-speed, thermmostatically controlled heater with a remote control that we bought a couple of years ago at Lowes that works great. At the time it cost us less than $40 (I think it was on sale at the end of the winter season), and it has been great. If they still make it, I highly recommend it.
Roadtech

Post by Roadtech »

Thanks to Sam for suggesting the Vornado brand electric heater. I found their Model VH2 whole room heater at HH Gregg. It is their cheapest model for about $86.00. That is not cheap but it has a great feature for freeze protection for my BFT. The thermostat has a AF (anti-freeze) setting. In the AF setting, the heater will stay off until the surrounding temperature drops below 40 degrees F. It is very compact. The exterior of the unit is cool to the touch when operating. We have been having some 18 to 22 degree nights here in Georgia and it has kept my BFT consistently at 40 degrees.
Roadtech

Post by Roadtech »

HH Gregg is a chain electronics and appliance store. They are mainly in the southeast and midwest. You can order on their website but I am sure you can find one cheaper on other websites. They had mine in stock at my local store.
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

You can get a Vornado VH2 for $68.52 with free shipping from Amazon.

I have ordered the slightly more expensive digital model. Ordered it through www.acehardwareoutlet.com for $89.99 with free shipping. I went with the digital as I am thinking it'll be easier to set a temp and leave it. Can't say how well it works yet as the first unit died on plug-in. :cry: The Ace Hardware Outlet responded very fast on providing a paid return. The replacement is due in, in a couple of days.

Wouldn't call the unit small though. Better check dimensions for your requirements.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Mike,

The digital Vornado you ordered looks very similar to the one we got a few years back. The digital temperature set feature is indeed very nice. We had been using the non-digital one in our previous motorhome, and had a lot of difficulty finding the correct set point. With the new one there is no problem. It is a little large, and won't fit in the under-sofa storage area. We keep ours in the back closet of our 24RB when it is warm, and keep it in the shower when traveling in cold weather.

It is also quite effective. The first night we stayed in our Born Free at the factory (Kim gave us our walk-through the next morning), the low temperature outside was 24 degrees with a strong wind. We set the Vornado for 55 degrees, and it kept the inside at that with no problem.

We made our original purchase based solely on loudness. We literally walked into a Bed Bath and Beyond, and the customer service desk let us plug various units in to test for loudness. The Vornado was a clear winner. It is still the quietest unit we have found.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

Thanks Shilohdad for your response! Disappointed to hear it won't fit under the sofa as that was where I was planning to stash it. Good to hear that it is quiet and does a good job.

Hoping it arrives soon! We are leaving from Colorado to go to Oregon on Wednesday. The heater was scheduled to arrive Tuesday but Fedex tracking has not logged a movement since the 5th when it was still in NY.
:shock:
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Mike,

Well, actually the problem is not that the heater won't fit under the sofa, it is more that the inside door openings are a bit too small to squeeze the thing through, at least for our unit. If you are willing to access it from the outside door, it will fit. We just found that to be a little too much of a pain, so we stow it in the closet or shower. But then, we stow a lot in the shower (Brita pitcher of water, garbage can, clothes hamper, dog crate, dog bed, Reflectix sun shades for the windows, etc.) Believe it or not, we still use the shower as a shower. It only takes 2 minutes or so to empty it out to use. One does have to learn various techniques when living in a relatively small space. But then, we cut our motor home teeth in a Roadtrek 200 camper van. Compared to that, the Born Free 24RB is a palace.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”