ONAN Gen oil specs.

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Qman15

ONAN Gen oil specs.

Post by Qman15 »

I have an '98 BF with a 4kw Onan generator. I do not have an owners manual so if someone knows what the SAE oil recommendation is I'd appreciate knowing.

Also, what oil filter it takes.

Thanks
Jim
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Jim,

I can't help you with a specific SAE, as my coach has a Generac generator. However, my previous RV had an Onan, and I always found that the Onan dealers were very helpful when I had problems or questions. I Googled for Onan, and your closest dealer is:

CUMMINS BRIDGEWAY, LLC
7580 Expressway Drive S.W.
Grand Rapids, MICHIGAN 49548
Phone: (616) 281-2211
Web site: http://www.cumminsbridgeway.com

Give them a shout with your model number, and I'll bet they can answer your question, and maybe even tell you a way to get a replacement user manual.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Mel Wilbur

ONAN general specs

Post by Mel Wilbur »

A post by Bill Cope, 11/18/07, should give you the information you need. http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/rv/f-1123.pdf for Onan manual.

I am using 5w-30 (synthetic) in both the Ford engine (V-10) and generator with excellent results. The generator has 700+ hours and the coach 80,350 miles.
Mel & Connie
whemme

Post by whemme »

Jim,

You don't state the exact model Onan generator that you have in your born Free coach but I will make a guess that it is a 4000 watt Emerald Plus model GBE.

I have attached page 12 out of the operators manual below as a pdf file that you can open up by clicking on the blue Download button below on the right side. This page lists the factory recommended engine oil selection choices.

The engine oil filter: Onan P/N 122-0645 or WIX P/N 51374
The engine air filter: Onan P/N 140-2379 or WIX P/N 42362

Since Onan is owned by Cummins engines, go to your local Cummins shop to order under the Onan P/N. You can also order a copy of the Owners Manual under the P/N 965-0130. WIX filters can be ordered online and wil cost less.
Attachments
965-0130 page 12.pdf
Page 12 out of Onan BGE Owners Manual showing Recommended Engine Oil Selection
(232.36 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Qman15

Post by Qman15 »

Thanks all

....am I happy to see gas prices coming down!

Happy Holidays

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”