Blow-out on I-5!

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Fourwinds

Blow-out on I-5!

Post by Fourwinds »

Bonnie and I finished a June-July 3073 mile trip to visit our 1st born in Missoula, MT, our former home for four years in Bozeman, MT to visit friends there, then a new author-Gun-magazine Field Editor friend in Boise, ID, through south-eastern Oregon along the impressive Abert Rim, 2500 feet above the valley floor, finishing with an 800 foot sheer-sided basalt cap that runs for 30 miles, located next to the mysterious looking Abert alcoline lake. Next on to Hilt, CA, the now deserted former logging town, to visit a High School friend and my wife's college room mate and her husband. There I herded cattle on foot ~ chasing them out of an orchard. We spent Independence Day camped at the north fingers of Lake Shasta and on home to Bakersfield.

On July 16 we headed up I-5 to attend a family reunion on my wife's side in Auburn, CA. A few miles north of a little fuel station and eatery called Three Rocks, the inside dual on the driver's side blew with a BANG! It was a very dangerous place with no room to pull off the actual roadway. Passing Class A's, and semi's were 3 feet from our side mirror. The operator at our Insurance company could not locate us on satellite, so we phoned 911 and from the CHP, got a Longitude and Latitude reading. With that info the Insurance operator traced us and called a repair truck.
We sat with seat-belts on in the chairs by the table, in case someone would hit us and prayed. A CHP officer stopped about forty minutes later and flashed his lights while we drove slowly up the roadway about 1/4 mile to a spot he indicated, which allowed us to pull off onto a wide gravel area where the repairman could work in safety. We had our spare and were relieved to have no out of pocket expense required.

The CHP officer said he noticed our grey/black (unknown at that time) was leaking. Upon inspection we discovered we had no grey water pipe or valve, the mud flap was trashed. We later discovered the drain pipe from the sink was also missing and the fuel-line clamp destroyed by the tread that tore totally off.

Even though the RV repair center in Placerville, CA was scheduled for the next day, they fitted us in and did a great repair job. they also replaced and repaired the front awning attachment bracket that had been torn loose on our long trip when I was forced into a highway barrel. If you ever need RV help in the Placerville, CA area, I highly recommend Idle Wheels R.V. Center, 4625 Missouri Flat Rd., Placerville, CA 95667 530-622-7034. President Vern Weldy and V.P. Mark Weldy are great guys. It is an honest shop too.

We did not know we had a gas leak until we were heading home and stopped to fuel up six miles west of Placerville. So we had to turn around and head back to the RV center to have that repaired, immediately, on the spot - $25.

We bought a new spare, duplicating what we had on the Born Free, but now face the decision of traveling more miles on these 5 year old tires, or go for a total replacement.

While we prefer the smoother highway on I-5 in central to northern California, it does have many miles where you are in no-mans-land and you face a long wait for any repair truck to reach you.

We thank the Lord for His protection. Only one problem remains: My wife, Bonnie, is resisting leaving retirement and getting a part time night job to help pay for the repairs and possible new tires! Women! Who can understand them? :lol: (Just kidding!)

Jess
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
2002 Born Free, 26 ft rsb
TomLong

Post by TomLong »

Glad you did not have any injuries. The Lord is faithful isn't he?
whemme

Post by whemme »

Jess,

Can I assume your tires were at least 7 years old based on the model year of your coach? Better yet, what is the DOT production date code which should be visible generally on the inside sidewall area of your tires?

Also, if I may ask, what brand and model tires were on your coach?

The reason I ask, is that there are RV owners now recommending changing tires when they are 5 years old no matter what the mileage is on them to prevent the type of blowout damage you are now aware of.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

Last winter within a month I blew three five years old tires (30,000 miles). Fortunately no damages, no accidents. Replaced them all (the spare included).
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
hrgermany

tire blow out

Post by hrgermany »

I also had the inner right tire blow out. It took out the gray water tank and most of the plumbing with it. I thought the tires would be good for one more trip. It changed my mind in a hurry.

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26 FT RSB
Fourwinds

Blow-out on I-5!

Post by Fourwinds »

I was almost finished with my reply to Bill and hit the back arrow to get the name of Hans, for his comment, and at that point TOTALLY LOST MY POST! I cannot retrieve it no matter what I try! Grrrrr! :x Can't you go back to read previous posts without losing the one you're typing?
Good grief, I'm :x :evil: :!: :!: :!:

Sigh! Guess I'll have to start all over............Hold on.....

Jess
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
Fourwinds

Blow-out on I-5!

Post by Fourwinds »

OK, I'll start again!

Bill, we bought our 2002 in April 2006. The previous owner told us that he had "recently" put on new BF Goodrich tires. They are:

LT 225/75R16 115/112Q M+S DOT AnlL JD 11 12 04. Commercial rated.

the 11 12 04 is the date of mfg right? So that means although we've only owned it 3 years, the tires are 5 years old!

In the light of this news and what Hans wrote, it looks to me like the right action to take is to buy all new tires! I'd opt for Costco and Michlin's - although I don't know which specific Michlin would be best.

I was told by a Class A owner, to upgrade my new tires to the next heaviest ply rating. I'm wondering if I should also put on a larger size tire that will fit these 16" rims. What say you about putting on a larger size tire. More ply makes sense to me; but I'm not sure on larger size.

Jess
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
whemme

Post by whemme »

Jess,

Sorry about your problem of loosing your partially completed post. One way to do what you were trying to do is this: Minimize the posting window you are working on and then go to your Bookmarks and re-open our website in a 2nd separate window and look for the info that you want. When you find it, then minimize that window and then go back and reopen you 1st window - which should get you back to the window containing your unfinished post.

As for tire recommendations. Your original equipment tire size is LT225/75R16E where the E stands for load range E which is the equivalent of a 10 ply tire with a maximum permitted cold inflation pressure of 80 psi. Only if you are a gluten for punishment would I recommend considering replacing with load range F tires. The higher the load range, the stiffer the sidewalls which will result in a noticeably harsher ride.

As far a the DOT tire date code, refer to the photo below. Generally the first 2 digits refer to the week of the year and the last two digit refer to the year that the tire was manufactured. I am not sure that the 11 12 04 you posted is actually the DOT date code. Look again for info similar to what is shown in the photo below. The example tire in the photo was manufactured in the 8 week of year 2006.

I am not necessarily convinced that a tire with a higher load rating or larger size would reduce the chances of a blowout anyway. It may in the cases where a tire is damaged due to such things as banging them up against curbs, etc. I personally think the most common causes of blowouts are: 1) under inflation, 2) road hazard by running over a sharp object & 3) tires that are too old. Also the installation of oversize tires will cause errors in your speedometer and odometer readings.

Until about 2004, the Ford E350 and E450 chassis came equipped with Firestone Steeltex LT225/75R16E tires. Then after that they were equipped until the present with Michelin LTX M/S LT225/75R16E tires.

From Michelin you basically have two choices, either the LTX M/S LT225/75R16E or the XPS Rib LT225/75R16E. The XPS Rib is a heavy duty commercial summer use rated rated tire that has steel cords in the sidewalls. Again, this tire will cause a harsher ride than the LTX M/S tire - but it certainly is a robust tire.

Firestone changed the name at some point of their Steeltex tire to the current name Transforce HT. I know that some people bad mouth Firestone tires but I had the Steeltex on my 1st 1999 BF 24' RB coach for 50,000 miles before I purchased my current 2002 BF 26' RSB coach with currently 42,000 miles with no problems and no blowouts. As a result, I intend to replace my 5 year old Steeltex tires this fall with a new set of Firestone Transforce HT tires.

For another blatant plug for the Firestone Transforce tire, I work part time as a dispatcher for a regional transit bus company called RIDES that owns approximately 65 transit buses all based on the Ford E350 and E450 chassis. The company uses that tire.

For pricing comparison I provide the following information obtained from the online tire retailer Tire Rack:

Firestone Transforce HT LT225/75R16E - $125 each
Michelin LTX M/S LT225/75R16E - $159.00 each
Michelin XPS Rib LT225/75R16E - $227 each

There are other brands available for this size tire including BF Goodrich that you already have on your coach.

Like everything else, these are my opinions and the opinions of others will vary!
Attachments
DOT Tire Date Code.jpg
DOT Tire Date Code Photo
(57.93 KiB) Downloaded 3762 times
Last edited by whemme on Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:23 pm, edited 10 times in total.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Fourwinds

Blowout on I-5

Post by Fourwinds »

Bill,

Thanks for the forum posting suggestion.

Your comment on the higher ply "F" rating, giving a harder ride deserves serious consideration. Try as we do to eliminate rattles, our BF sounds like an old tinkers wagon. I certainly don't wish to increase the sounds of rattles!

I am told that putting on new/different shocks will help with a better ride also. But what constitutes as a "better" ride? More secure? Better steering control (felt)? Softer ride? I did a search once, some years ago and came up with two top rated shocks; but have since then forgotten those two brand names anyway.

What is your thought on a larger diameter size tire while keeping the E rated ply?

Incidentally, with my brain in a swirl, and not having time to quietly consider the "best option" - the new spare I purchased from Wal Mart is a duplicate Goodrich that is on the rig at present. So if I keep that new tire as a spare and need to use it, and put on new Michlins, then, if the flat or blow out (seems RV's don't have flats - just blow outs!) on the duals, would be mis-matched and may cause another blow out within miles of changing. Any thoughts on this?

Jess
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
Fourwinds

Post by Fourwinds »

Bill,

Do you know the difference between the Michelins?

LTX LT 225 / 75R16E and XPS Rib LT225 / 75R16E
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
whemme

Post by whemme »

Jess,

Read my post above again. During the time that you read it and posted the question above, I was in the process of editing that post of mine and added the information that you asked. Again, I would not recommend installing a oversize tire. The clearance space in the wheel wells for the rear duals is already pretty tight.

I would not be too concerned about keeping that BF Goodrich tire as a spare even though you might install different brand tires on the coach itself. It should serve that purpose OK.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Considering all the factors that could come into play as a cause or causes of a blowout I think it is inappropriate to consider changing tire brand, size, etc in order to solve the problem. There is no sure way of knowing just what caused the problem. The most likely cause is an old, or deteriorated tire. Just buy new tires of the same size and ply rating as original equipment and consider the problem solved.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
karls

Post by karls »

Most tire failures can be anticipated/prevented if you have a tire pressure monitoring system. I installed the Pressure Pro system distributed by a BF owner in FL., but there are others to chose from. Check archived BF website threads on this issue.

My system has saved me a couple tires and the resulting hassles (dangers). And the fact that you can read the pressures of each tire while underway reduces the boredom of Interstate monotony.

Karl Striedieck
Fourwinds

Post by Fourwinds »

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
norijake

Post by norijake »

Goodrich has been owned by Michelin since 1989 ( http://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/23/busin ... drich.html ). I don't know if Michelin changed the Goodrich tire formula to align with their products or not but I have heard from competent authority (DIL's father owned a truck tire company) that the Goodrich commercial tire is a very good product.

FWIW, when I replaced my tires, I opted for the Michelin LTX M/S tires that came with the motor coach although I could have bought the Goodrich tires at a major discount.

If you don't already have them, metal valve stems/extensions are a recommended option. Most all truck tire dealers will have them available if you ask when you have your new tires installed.

Jake
2004 26' RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”