Satellite Radio Installation

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

hello moto

Satellite Radio Installation

Post by hello moto »

Has any one installed a satellite radio in their Born Free. Placing the antenna might be a problem. We are considering the Delphi XM Roady2.
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Yes we had it installed last year after we took delivery. We took it to a car stereo store and they did it perfectly.
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
Taobeemr

Installing Satelite Radio

Post by Taobeemr »

I had mine installed at Circuit City, when I bought my XM radio. :)
Mel Wilbur

satelite radio

Post by Mel Wilbur »

We also have the Delphi XM Roady 2 and until I decide where to permanently mount the antenna I have it mounted on the front fender (magnetic mount) and I works quite well in that position. My thought is to epoxy a small piece of metal to the cab-over area and run the wire down into the cab which will take some time but I work cheap so it will not be to costly. By the way, we love the XM radio.
Mel & Connie
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

We ran 14,000 miles last year with the Roady 2. I placed the antenna inside on the middle of the dash, down by the window. worked well, except anytime we turned north the reception faded. George B
grross

Post by grross »

a previous sugestion on the site was to place the antenna on the space inside the nose cone. I tried it and it worked magnificiently!!...both north and south. On our most recent trip I placed it between the skylight cover and the skylight...worked!! and it was even more out of the way. As George B would say "it didn't cost me anything".
2008 27' RBRE V-10
whemme

XM Radio Satellite Receiver

Post by whemme »

I too have been using Delphi XM Roady2 in my BF. My experience is that antenna placement is not too critical unless you want reception when driving in a northernly direction. This is because the two XM satellites (called by the way ROCK and ROLL) are located in a geosynchronous orbit above the equator. This means that the typically easy location of the XM receiving antenna being in the front cab area will cause the signal to be blocked by most of the motorhome body complex when driving north.

I have had good luck mounting the antenna level in the cab over on top of the entertainment center TV using velcro. Even there you will have to play with exact positioning of the antenna to prevent the front roll bar from blocking reception to the antenna.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Hike

Post by Hike »

I had my XM radio installed for me and they put down a piece of aluminum foil stuff on the roof and mounted the antenna on that. Reception is great unless there is a cliff next to the road on the south side of the road. I sure wouldn't want to travel anywhere without my XM radio. I have had one for quite a few years now. Listening to it right now as a matter of fact.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”