Locating fuel pump.

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Fourwinds

Locating fuel pump.

Post by Fourwinds »

Our 2002 26' BF has been sitting for over year. Last started perhaps six months ago. Surgery kept me inactive. It won't start now.

I have replaced the battery. It cranks fast. Used starter fluid and engine appears to start but only run on the starter fluid for 2 seconds, then quits. I want to check to see if fuel is coming from fuel pump, but cannot locate the fuel pump.

Is it possible to reach from the outside, or must the inside console unit have to be removed? I hope not!
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
2002 Born Free, 26 ft rsb
whemme

Post by whemme »

Jess,

If the Ford E-350/450 chassis is like most modern cars (and I believe it is) the fuel pump will be located inside of the fuel tank.

I know on some cars, access to the fuel pump requires removal of the fuel tank. Don't know for sure if that would be necessary on this Ford chassis or even for sure if the pump is actually located inside the fuel tank. I am sure someone will post with the correct answer.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Fourwinds

Locating fuel pump.

Post by Fourwinds »

Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I had my mechanic-talented son-in-law come over this evening and we tried everything possible to locate it. He tested the relays with his meter, and the re-set switch for the fuel pump - - finally, after looking almost everywhere. It was behind a panel, tucked way up out of sight.

He did not hear the typical "click" when listening by the fuel tank when the key is turned on. Usually you can hear the fuel pump "click" and start pumping or preparing to pump. Nada!

Using starter fluid sprayed into the air intake near the top of the engine, it starts and runs about 1 and 1/2 second. So Tony said it's only running briefly on that hot starter fluid-spray, but isn't getting gas.

I don't know what would cause a fuel pump to "die" after just sitting and not being used for months. We think it must be on the inside of the tank.
The tank is 3/4ths full now.

It is parked beside our house. We have to drive across our front lawn in a tricky tight turn to get it here - - I drive it back into our corral, turn around and then pull up next to our house to park it. So I'm anxious now over having to have it towed somewhere and how they will get it across the lawn. :cry: Problems and expense :x And this BEFORE our hoped-for trip in June to our twin grandson & grand daughter's graduation in Missoula, Montana. But that's life. :roll:

We both searched long on the internet trying to nail down specifically where the fuel pump IS located on this model/year/engine, but failed.
I feel it is probably either on top of the tank or inside, as we can't see it
by crawling underneath - and there isn't much room under there believe me!

Like you said, maybe someone who has had the experience and knows, will post and we'll both know for certain.

Jess
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
GKarschnick

Post by GKarschnick »

We had to replace the fuel pump on our '93 26 ft. on a 350 chassis. It was located inside the fuel tank and they had to drop the tank to get at it. It was not too bad a job as I recall. It took a couple of hours. I was told that the fuel pumps failing are a recurring problems with the Ford trucks.
bill crommett

fuel pump

Post by bill crommett »

Did you think to disconnect the fuel line at the fartherest back location available to see if the line is plugged at the filter, and the fuel pump is actually working ?
Fourwinds

Locating fuel pump.

Post by Fourwinds »

We finally assumed the pump was inside the tank.

No, we did not think to disconnect the line there. I'm not sure we could maneuver under the coach ~ so little room. Maybe my son-in-law could do it, since he is smaller in stature........and gerth! :(

thanks for the idea.
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
Fourwinds

Locating fuel pump.

Post by Fourwinds »

Second thought/question. Is the fuel filter located near the fuel tank or near the engine area?
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
hrgermany

locatig the fuelpump

Post by hrgermany »

I have a Ford Factory Service Manual for my 1995 BF,The fuelpump is lockated in the fueltank.If you reset the InertiaFuel Shutoff Switch(IFS)
and the engine does not start,the pump is most likely defective and the tank has to come out. If you bang the pump it might run again.But better
replace the pump.

Hans Rueckert
Fourwinds

Locating fuel pump.

Post by Fourwinds »

Hans, would kicking the tire qualify as a replacement for "banging the pump?" :lol: For I came close to doing that in my frustration yesterday.

I have no manual. We bought our 2002 as a (now socially acceptable term: previously owned vehicle) i.e., USED! What was another frustration for me as well as my son-in-law, who was using his guage to test the fuses and relays - is that Ford has no chart inside the cover to the fuses and relays to tell you which is for WHAT! How cheap is that?

And it would have been helpful had anyone sprayed some grafitti underneath the rig with a bright arrow pointing with the words: Fuel Pump here > ! And maybe a big "X" on the tank. :wink: :lol:

I'm pursuing my options now. Unfortunately, the tank is over 3/4ths filled too!

Thanks to all who have answered my initial question and given other pointers.
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
RVN4US

Post by RVN4US »

Should you have to remove the tank and have to siphon gas from the tank prior to removing the tank, make sure that you are careful when inserting the hose into the gas fill spout. I am speaking from experience that you can damage the spring inside the fill spout, and you do not need another expense. Good luck with your problem.........
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

As the coach is a 2002 and you do not know if the fuel filter has ever been changed I would change it anyway. If it was the problem great, but if not it would be a good preventative measure anyway. The fuel filter should be along the chassis in the general vicinity of the generator compartment. Keep in mind you need a special tool to remove the old filter. This can be had an most any auto parts store and is not expensive.
Last edited by Mel Wilbur on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mel & Connie
bill crommett

fuel filter

Post by bill crommett »

I hope Mel is right. Filters can plug up for many reasons, the most common is dirt in the gas station tank that was not given a chance to settle after a new load as been delivered. For this reason if you see the tank truck filling a station's tank, either ask the truck driver which tank he is filling or go away and come back later after the dirt has had time to settle. To put a fuel filter in the tank amounts to malfeasance and/or malpractice.
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

I'm going to throw another thought out there that I haven't seen mentioned. I don't know how long your fuel has been sitting in the tank but if old enough and if not treated with a stabilizer like Stabil, it could be "stale" and not able to start the engine. I have had it happen to me with several small engines that I've left sitting over the winter without treating the gas. I now add Stabil in the fall to my RV gas tank. One way to rule this out would be to try to start your genset. It will be more sensitive to "old"gas and if it turns over but won't start then you might have a fuel problem instead of a pump/filter problem.
Fourwinds

Locating fuel pump.

Post by Fourwinds »

Dave, my generator does start. However the last two times I ran it, I did notice a slight surge as it ran. (?)

Mel, thanks for the local of the fuel filter.

That tube going into drain the tank ruining a spring sounds like a real potential problem. Not knowing in advance. Hmm? I wonder where a replacement could be purchased and do mechanics know about this?

Time will tell, I guess.

How do you determine what is the special tool needed and what it is called in order to purchase the proper tool?

This problem is developing and expanding instead of shrinking into a less challenging project. Guess it's like me and practically any plumbing job in the house I attempt to fix myself. Geeze but I hate plumbing! :cry:
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
Fourwinds

Fuel Pump problem.

Post by Fourwinds »

Just a report to let you all know what happened. A elf-employed mobile mechanic was sent to my home. Single handed, he got the tank down, estimated weight over 280 lbs. Removed the fuel pump. It is attached to a foot long device with pipes, etc. connected to the 8 inch or so flat surface that bolts to the top of the tank.

I took it to the Ford dealer first. Cost over $500. I was told it was Ford's policy to only sell the entire mechanism. I held up the small pump and said, "This is all I need." the clerk nodded sympathetically and said, "I know, but Ford won't sell just the pump."

I went to Kragen's Auto Parts store and ordered the pump only for $119. Their price for the entire unit was $300 some. I got a new filter too.

Three days later the mechanic returned, drained the gas from the tank, re-installed the new pump and tank, put most of the gas back in, except the last few inches in a container which showed some small specks of dirt.
Put in the new filter, and it started! Thank the Lord and this machanic who initially offered to do the job for $120. I gave him $150.

I'm looking for a Corporate address of Ford where I can at least voice my disappointment in their rip-off policy.

I was so thankful to find someone to do the job where the rig is parked next to our house. He had heavy-duty jacks. How I hope this one lasts!

Thanks for all your good information and suggestions. Very much appreciated.
Jess & Bonnie Dixon

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”